mtbr member

Mongoose Bolts=Bad

I'm having trouble with my teocali specifically with the bolts. I've already snapped two and had all of them replaced (properly of course, with loctite and the works) and to my dismay there was a jiggling/clinking noise and my shop said the bolts were destroyed again. I thought about Ti but then that isn't even much stronger (but is lighter), so are there any suggestions to fix it? And I know it's a mongoose

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Which bolts? What year Teocali? What were you doing that made them snap? A little more info please.

mtbr member
    Almost all of the.The bolts that atttach the swingarm and bottom bracet and stuff. o7 teocalli super. And if I knew what snapped them the first time I'd stop doing whatever I do. All I do is trail riding with the ocassional drop or jump.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Taking into consideration your comment that you replaced them properly, I would make sure your shop gets a hold of Mongoose Customer Service and orders bolts that are not too long. If the threaded half bottoms out in the female end (hee hee hee, oh...sorry) it can lead to a bit of play in the linkage. Over time that play can result in broken hardware. Make sure the head of the bolts sit flush or a tiny bit recessed in the holes of the linkage.

The 2009's utilize a different bearing/linkage. Depending on how good your shop is, you might try to snag a new frame through warranty.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    I've had no problems with bolts on my '05 teocali. Maybe more detail on where the bolts are breaking might shed some light. Is there considerable wear on the bolts? I've seen some bolts with considerable wear because they have not been lubed on a regular basis. Just thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbz27
    Taking into consideration your comment that you replaced them properly, I would make sure your shop gets a hold of Mongoose Customer Service and orders bolts that are not too long. If the threaded half bottoms out in the female end (hee hee hee, oh...sorry) it can lead to a bit of play in the linkage. Over time that play can result in broken hardware. Make sure the head of the bolts sit flush or a tiny bit recessed in the holes of the linkage.

The 2009's utilize a different bearing/linkage. Depending on how good your shop is, you might try to snag a new frame through warranty.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'll make sure Before I even sit on the bike that these bolts are PERFECTLY in there. Last Time I even put loctite on to prevent if from being rattled loose but seems to not work. Ha, I'm aware they changed the bolts and linkage and can see why now. I don't know if I'll get a new frame because the warrunty might be invalid but that would be totally sick becuase the new ones are also lighter and sleeker Right now I;m just trying to get new bolts but the three shops I went to cannot get ahold of mongoose and neither can I via email/phone calls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The bolts on my old Khyber had the same problems, but they sent me new and better ones and i haven't had a problem with those yet. Mongoose went to bigger and stronger bearings and bolts in 09 so that should fix the problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker91
    The bolts on my old Khyber had the same problems, but they sent me new and better ones and i haven't had a problem with those yet. Mongoose went to bigger and stronger bearings and bolts in 09 so that should fix the problem
    But would those bearings fit my 07 teocali?

mtbr member
    How do you have an OLD Khyber already? By the way, what is the rear wheel spacing on the Khyber? I'm looking to pick up a frame and build one up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just called it old cause i sold(getting the 09 pinn'r) it and no longer have it(its an 08). The rear spacing is 135mm.

^ I don't know if they would fit in an 07 teocali but your local bike shop would definatley be able to get you the right size ones from mongoose

mtbr member
    Alright so, mongoose finally responded and said that it would cost $70 for the pivots. Not only is that more than I thought it would be, but they didn't even consider to replace it for free. I'm hesistant to buy them again, because I do not want to be in the same situation in a couple of months. I'm looking at other frames with burlier builds better suited for my "aggressive" style. I'm going to bring my bike to sea otter and see what they can do

mtbr member
    I recently snapped my bolt and bent the **** out of it (Linkage Bolt in a 07 Black Diamond Single) I got told from my LBS that the whole kit would need replacing (which it doesn't) and also that it would cost $200 aud for the whole kit (bolts, bearings, bushings etc).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaccyboy
    I recently snapped my bolt and bent the **** out of it (Linkage Bolt in a 07 Black Diamond Single) I got told from my LBS that the whole kit would need replacing (which it doesn't) and also that it would cost $200 aud for the whole kit (bolts, bearings, bushings etc).
    Dude, that sucks sooo bad. Sorta makes my $70 replacemtn feel good. I also bent two bolts, but was told to get a whole new kit hmmmm

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I cant figure out why Mongoose isn't warrantying these issues ? Why would your warranty be invalid ?

My Bike is Bigger
    Mar 2006
    For what it's worth, the 2009 hardware is a HUGE improvement over the past years. Unfortunately it won't fit in 2008 and older frames. In past experiences no company has given me replacement hardware at no charge. It's one of those normal wear and tear things, even if it's faulty or of poor design. There may be a chance if you see a mongoose team truck at a race or event that if you ask the parts might magically find their way into your hand.
    We're not getting down, we're getting high!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Send-It
    For what it's worth, the 2009 hardware is a HUGE improvement over the past years. Unfortunately it won't fit in 2008 and older frames. In past experiences no company has given me replacement hardware at no charge. It's one of those normal wear and tear things, even if it's faulty or of poor design. There may be a chance if you see a mongoose team truck at a race or event that if you ask the parts might magically find their way into your hand.
    ha sea otter. I got a seat post clamp from steve romaniuk but stupid me for not noticing it was him . I didn't know he was on mongoose then. But he was nice and helped me out. And yes, it sucks. Their poor design, altghough corected in 09, should be warrantied AT LEAST, if not replaced. If products are failing, most companies would do a recall and replace them for free (for example the cannondale lefty forks and magura forks). I don't know if it is different for frames, but mongoose should do something about it, or one of us has to get hurt and sue them before they recall it.

mtbr member
    My experience with Mongoose warranty has been top notch (documented in other MTBR posts). But, I have gone through a Mongoose dealer for all of my warranty needs and not directly through them.

mtbr member
    okay guys. It's been about 5 weeks and mongoose STILL hasn't sent the rebuild kit to either adrenaline or my local bike shop. I'm finding this rediculous and my patience is dying. I've been itching to ride for a long time.

mtbr member
    okay. adrenaline was good and shipped qucikely after getting the kit from mongoose. and now we cait and see how long this set lasts

mtbr member
    mongoose sent the wrong pivots! . I really think they should do something more than this. The customer service has been horrible. Both my local bike shop and adrenaline could not get ahold of mongoose via phone and basically when I email them they tell me to talk to the dealer/shop.

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FortOrdDirt
    mongoose sent the wrong pivots! . I really think they should do something more than this. The customer service has been horrible. Both my local bike shop and adrenaline could not get ahold of mongoose via phone and basically when I email them they tell me to talk to the dealer/shop.
    FWIW, I know a few people who have replaced the bolts with standard, high-tensile steel bolts and had no problems thereafter. Might be worth a look? Your experiences with their service seem sub-standard at best....

mtbr member
    After a lot of talking and emails, mongosoe decided to send out another kit to replace the wrong one, but when it finally came here, my lbs contacted me saying they were the same bolts from before. Its still a little more than three months and mongoose hasnt sent the correct pivit kit.