mtbr member

might be upgrading..

since i put on an extra 35lbs. in these past 3 years the suspension has been bottoming out way to easily even on little 2-3foot drops. while taking off the upper attach bolt holding the rear shock, the lock nut stripped out eff'ing up the threads of the bolt. my guess is after it got P.U.S.H'ed, who ever mated the shock back to the frame cross threaded/stripped the bolt and didn't bother to tell me. i might be able to get a thread file on it but even so, it wouldn't be 100%.... so, unless i can find a replacement bolt and it looks like it's one of those " schwinn/yeti specific" parts and probably non left in existence i might be doing a little upgrading soon.... maybe an RL9 perhaps??
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    You're talking about the upper shock eye bolt? I have no idea what type they are, but look at McMaster Carr's website. They sell the bolts used on the 4-Banger shock bolts, which are pretty uncommon. Schwinn generally used standard bolts and bearings on all those bikes, so see what you can find. I'm betting you can find it.

Unless you really want that RL9.

mtbr member
    yup, the upper shock eye bolt. it's not like any of the bolts on the 4banger, it uses a lock nut to secure it. i really do want an RL9, just can't really afford it with right now. first the car dies, now the bike... i can't win at anything... i hunted down the McMaster Carr's website... i found the bolt i need but the bolt head measurements are they have aren't the same as what i have.. but that can be waiverable

Last edited by shwinn8; 05-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    Shwinn, that's just a bigger version of the 4-Banger upper bolt. It's called a shoulder bolt. You need to figure out what threads it is and measure it. Measure the diameter of the machined surface part and measure the length of the whole bolt and also the machined shoulder part. Then go here and see if you can match it:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=6zsy2f

You're not done with that thing yet! The one on the 4-Banger is M6 threads with an 8-mm diam shoulder. Yours will also be metric, not inches. Schwinn was very good about using standard fasteners and bearings on the bikes.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Speaking of broken bolts, is this finished? Or do you guys think it can be saved. I couldn't figure out if the top trunion piece could come off.

mtbr member
    wd40 soak and a thread extractor kit might get it out
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    Not done by a long shot. Shwinn8 has it right with his suggestion. Without an extractor, you can try drilling it with progressively bigger bits until there's not much left of the bolt. Then get new bolts from McMaster Carr (like I did) and use anti-sieze compound when you install them.

mtbr member
    i went down to the hardware store and got all the measurements, they had comparative bolts but none that were Allen, Torx, Flat head or Phillips driven so i made an order on the McMaster website...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    McMaster is the bomb.

mtbr member
    ...and Fox racing said the 400x2.80 rate rear spring is rated up to a 150-155lb. person(?) and to play with the spring pre-load and add more compression before looking to get a stiffer spring....unlucky with cars but the biking gods are still whispering to me
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown