mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Khyber Or Teocali Purcahse?

I finally got the green light for a new bike (thanks wifey) but have a hard decision to make, a Mongoose khyber super or teocali super. I do most of my biking in Wisconsin and the UP so I know the khyber is probably a little much. But I'm a bigger guy 250 lb. and have read reviews that the khyber would be a better match. Not worried at all about the weight difference and am leaning towards the khyber but would like your opinion before a make the phone call to order. Thanks.
    Last edited by wimtb; 03-04-2010 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can't speak for the Khyber, other than it is a sweet looking bike. However, my wife bought a Teocali elite last year and liked it so much I picked up the Super the following year (the black and white one, looks really sold me ) The Teocali pedals great, the freedrive system seems to just "go." I came off a lighter weight Cannondale Rush and I would dare say the Teocali pedals better, and is even more fun. I am still trying to get the suspension dialed just right though. Went out today and it was a little stiff. I really looked at the Khyber also, but gave myself an honest assessment of my skills and our terrain (rocky, some good descents but really, really have to earn them. Some roots mixed in there) and came to the conclusion the Teocali was the smart choice. No regrets at all so far. I wish the head angle was maybe a just a little slacker, but that is pretty minor to me.

I guess I could also say that in comparison I have an Iron Horse 6 point 4, close to the Khyber. It's a great bike, but long rides can really do me in. If you got the legs and lungs it may be okay. Life is easier on the Teocali though

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you decide to go for the Khyber Super, I have a brand new Large for sale. Send me a PM if interested.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 khyber, and I am about 200lbs. I love it. The teocali has had a rep for frame crack issues in the past, but not so much lately. Personally, for piece of mind, and the slacker head angle I would get the khyber (well, I did...) if you were lighter or even just concerned about the bikes weight I would say teocali. But the khyber is pretty decent uphill, and a blast coming back down! I am not sure what the difference in weight is, but in my mind the beefier frame gives nice peace of mind, and the extra travel is nice too, if you don't think you need that much travel, give it more sag, and enjoy all that traction. Also a dual chamber shock with ramp up controll makes it feel bottomless! It's a great bike, I love mine!!!