mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Khyber Owners -- Need Advice

I am looking for some Khyber owners to help me out. I am torn between two bikes right now, the Mongoose Khyber and th Iron Horse 6 point 6. I am looking for a "do almost anything" bike that can still climb. It doesn't have to (or expected to) climb like an XC bike, but all our DH runs around here we have to hike/ride up. I have looked through this forum trying to find info on the Khyber but haven't come up with much. I was hoping some Khyber owners could give me some advice, as far as what they like about the bike, what they don't and if it would be better, worse or about the same as the 6 point 6. I have asked this question in the All Mountain forum, but was originally deciding between the Khyber and the Giant Reign X. I think I have ruled out the Reign X just based on price (I can get the Khyber or the IH 6.6 much cheaper than the Reign X0). If I understand correctly, the Khyber is set to be air only shock, but I don't think that will be too much of an issue as I have a ways to grow to need a coil over. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks.

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I own a khyber and ride with someone who owns a 6point. there both real sick bikes, but i would have to say the khyber is a little more heavy duty than the 6 point. However, the 6point does have the dw link and practically no bob.
    The khyber has a bit more travel and eats up downhills an the big hits, but i've found it to climb real well for the amount of bike that it is. the build on the elite model(what i have) is really nice and i picked it up for 1600 from harborcountrybike.com.
    I may be a bit bias cause i ride one but i would recommend the khyber. Both bikes are pretty much the same as far as their capabilities go, its up to you

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker91
    I own a khyber and ride with someone who owns a 6point. there both real sick bikes, but i would have to say the khyber is a little more heavy duty than the 6 point. However, the 6point does have the dw link and practically no bob.
    The khyber has a bit more travel and eats up downhills an the big hits, but i've found it to climb real well for the amount of bike that it is. the build on the elite model(what i have) is really nice and i picked it up for 1600 from harborcountrybike.com.
    I may be a bit bias cause i ride one but i would recommend the khyber. Both bikes are pretty much the same as far as their capabilities go, its up to you
    Thanks for the input mtbiker91, I have been wondering which would be more suited for aggressive riding. I have a Cannondale Rush (which I will be keeping) that I ride on typical XC/trail riding days, but sometimes I like to go out and attempt to hurt myself. I don't feel I need a full on DH rig in our area, but looking for a bike that is a little heavier duty (than a Rush) that I can still take out and pedal around if I feel the need and that I can take to our local DH trails and races. Both look to be great bikes, and the price online for the IH 6.6 is pretty good right now, but I can get the 'goose from my local shop for around the same price and they offer lifetime adjustments. Tough choice!! A little off topic, but do you know how good Mongoose is with warranty issues? I can't find anything about their warranty, even on their webpage.

-Patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've never had to use their warranty,but I believe there's a lifetime warranty on their frames.If the bikes are that close in price and what you want I think the tie breaker might go to the Mongoose if you can get it at your local shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdb_lmb
    ......but do you know how good Mongoose is with warranty issues? I can't find anything about their warranty, even on their webpage.

-Patrick
    I've used Mongoose's lifetime warranty 3 times in the last year to replace the rear triangle, bottom suspension link, and frame of my '05 teocali super. I bought the bike off ebay new and have done my warranty work throug Performance Bikes. Great service from my experience.

mtbr member
    So what did you go with? The Khyber or IH 6 point?