He who rides red eyed....

How do I tell the difference between a walmart or target Mongoose and a Pro Mongoose?

I am shopping online and I am having a tough time telling the difference between the Walmart of Target low-end Mongoose bikes, and the nicer ones sold in specialty shops.

Maybe the components? How would I know which ones are high end and whic ones are low end?

Is there a really big price difference?

Any input you have would help me alot. Thanks guys, this is by far the best forum I have particpated in on ANY subject.
    Last edited by pdgarrison; 09-20-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    "I will rock your face off"

2006 Mongoose Wing Comp Pro Series

eat sh*#@
    you must be new to the internet as well.

If your shopping online then the prices should be right there in front of you and you would then see the obvious difference in pricing.

Maybe you should stick to walking.

useful responses?

can I get one maybe?

My problem is it seems places only sell one or the other. Even on the mongoose website, they dont differentiate between the two very obviuosly, the only way I could tell is the description of the parts. Being new to mountain biking, I cant tell which components are good and which are bad.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    i dont know maybe by visiting their site and finding a local authorized dealer....?

http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/dualsuspensionbikes.html

here ya go buddy, hope this helps...

ps: there are many other manufacturers that offer more bang for your buck.

Thanks Red tomato for the reply.

So this link is for the Pro bikes? All four pages?

Neither of the two local bike shops have mongoose. But the one I favor said they would work on it for me.
    Either way I am planning on starting with this....upgrading the parts slowly until I can upgrade frame and anything else that may need it.
    I think it will suit me well being a begginer.

mtbr member

A bit more useful reply, hopefully

Hey dude, sorry everyone here is being such an ass. While your question is a bit vague, it is true that last year's Mongoose website made the highend/lowend distinction more concrete than this year's.

The short answer is that you can assume that the $1500+ bikes that Mongoose was showing off at Interbike are their high-end line. http://content.mtbr.com/TRD_14_352crx.aspx

So, in the 2008 high end you've got:
    Khyber
    Black Diamond
    EC-D
    Teocali
    Canaan
    Otero
    Ritual

The low end is likely everything else, all of which cost less than $200.

The problem is that this is an oversimplification. For example the $350 Tyax is a great beginner bike that is by no means a cheap dept store bike. But the $600 Wing Super looks to me to be poorly designed/spec'd, especially compared to other brands. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many here that disagree with me.

What you really should do, despite calling yourself a "beginner", is you should learn the various levels of bike parts. Go to the Shimano website and learn the differences (price/performance/intended use) between higher end stuff like Deore XTR/XT/LX, entry level (though still quality) parts like Alivio/Acera, and absolute bottom end parts (boxy looking parts that just say "SHIMANO" in white letters). Eventually you'll be able to instantly recognize a bike's quality just by the parts that are on it.

Hope this helps.

ps: Obviously, the best way to avoid buying a junky dept store bike is to not go to a dept store. Go to a real local bike shop and just tell them what you have to spend. They should be able and willing to help you.

mtbr member
    I think the last post about sums it up, and is way more helpful than the smart*ss remarks made earlier. Spend some time looking around at a variety of brands and their lineups. You should start to see some consistency in parts per price. Drivetrain parts are more limited in options (Shimano and SRAM) and are a good gage for the quality of the other parts. Anything less than $200 is not worth your time, since it won't be easily upgraded and most bike shops don't want to touch them. If you're definitely in to MTBing for the long haul, consider investing a little more $. It'll be well worth it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

low end/

if its not listed on the mongoose site its lower end walmart/

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Someone, anyone, tell me where they have seen Mongoose Pro Bikes. Don't tell me the mongoose website either. I have tried the local shops and haven't found one that carries them. Thanks. Ride Hard or Die Tryin!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mongoose?

tried calling the manuf.?www.performancebike.com lists them-don't know if they are on the floor.maybe the PRO bikes are special order only?in '03 bought mine at ***** sporting goods........good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    As a matter of fact, the one i did see at a store once was at *****. Thanks for the help.

Finally thank you guys so much. I havent posted in a while I know....but its getting back into the season and I have been in NY working for three months anyway.

I got my bike before I went though, and I have to say I am very satisfied. What I got was the lowest and cheapest of the Pro series, the wing comp. 2006. It even says pro series in white letters on the frame. The components are definitly entry level, but they work. They needed adjustments of course.

This bike was very good for me to start with. It taught me minor and major adjustments, plus how everything works or is suppposed to. Just because little things were loose or at least I shook them loose.

So I got my wing comp from a store online clearence, and I love it for a begginer bike. If you have less than 400 to spend this is the way to go if you ask me.

Spreadin the love...
    If you have to go online to buy(check the dealer list on the website, though! I found three in SOUTH DAKOTA that I knew nothing about, so you guys in bigger places will have even more options), contact Allen at DropNzone.com. He'll have SICK prices for sure, and great customer service, plus you'll end up with the right bike for what you need. He's also known to mix and match parts at the customers requests to lower prices/gain a better setup. Go there. Buy Mongoose. Ride happy.

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Maybe an Otero super 08? I saw one for 600

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i got a 08 otero super lined up for 585 shipped right now, seems like a good deal.