mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Homegrown vs Moab 2 (525 Chromoly) questions.....

Aside from materials, what is/are the differences(s) between a equally spec'd Homegrown and Moab in terms of handling, ride, geometery? I understand that Homegrowns are legendary and coveted but if my steel Moab is the same geo and not far off in terms of weight (very light for a steel frame) whould it not be as capable or fast as a Homegrown? Possibly a more compliant ride? I even understand that a lot of folks here call Moabs "Moab/Homegrown's"......is that because of the similarities?

Please chime in......

Crazy about Homegrowns
    From what I've read in my Schwinn catalogs, Schwinn advertised them as being just as good as a Homegrown, just not American made. They were priced pretty close to HG's too.
    Moab's are awesome, and with the right components, I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good.
    If your Moab is a 96-99 I can scan the catalog page and specs for you if you want.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Schwinn geometry of that era was largely shared between the bikes. As I understood it, a Moab was simply a heavier, non-Yeti/raceshop-built version of the HGs, overall. I don't know where the frames were made, but I thought they were American, just not Yeti in Durango or Control Tech.

The Chro-Mo Moabs likely ride better than the aluminum ones, due to the material properties, but I always liked the look of the aluminum ones with the big tubes, etc. I've also heard that HG's can be more fragile as time goes on compared to Moabs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    From what I've read in my Schwinn catalogs, Schwinn advertised them as being just as good as a Homegrown, just not American made. They were priced pretty close to HG's too.
    Moab's are awesome, and with the right components, I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good.
    If your Moab is a 96-99 I can scan the catalog page and specs for you if you want.
    Cool! That would be great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Schwinn geometry of that era was largely shared between the bikes. As I understood it, a Moab was simply a heavier, non-Yeti/raceshop-built version of the HGs, overall. I don't know where the frames were made, but I thought they were American, just not Yeti in Durango or Control Tech.

The Chro-Mo Moabs likely ride better than the aluminum ones, due to the material properties, but I always liked the look of the aluminum ones with the big tubes, etc. I've also heard that HG's can be more fragile as time goes on compared to Moabs.
    I found a NOS 97 Moab 2 for 70 bucks a while back and it's just been sitting so I will be transfering parts, minus disc brakes, and selling the last of my HG frames. I know, I know but I need the cash right about now and it's one more step towards my all steel conversion. Since it's NOS it's like getting a new bike again......I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got a sweet '99 Moab, with a seal for
    "Ride Tuned"
    "Frame Design"
    "Custome 7005"

Two-toned, blue with white, major extras on the frame ( and the frame is aluminum and light).

So...I've scoured the net, and while definitely U.S., some say that this is a less-expensive version from Homegrown, and near the end before the END.

Thoughts? **sorry, don't mean to derail this thread**

(7050 tubing, great paint with clear coat, and although without some extras, the frame has is rounded, great welding, light as hell, and has taps around the back tubing, at the forks, and other places (making me think it is a frame that is close to higher end).

Back to the OP, weren't the Moab's aluminum? HomeGrowns? I remember them being non-CM back in 90....

""""""

CTB
    mtbr member
    Jobspeak: I believe Moabs shared geometry with the HG's of their day, but they were a bit heavier. I have a '98 Moab Aluminum, which is probably darn near the same as your 99. I'm not sure what year 22mm disc tabs were added to the chainstay, but my '98 doesn't have them. All Moabs were not aluminum, only the Moab Aluminums were. I think the cro-mo versions were dropped for '99, definitely by '00. The Moab was Schwinn's highest-end hardtail below the HG's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    had a moab2 and she had a 22mm proprietary chainstay caliper mount...

even with it being alumunium and light she was strong...strong enough to support my 250# for approx 4000 miles over a 7yr period...

i sold it to a friend and recently bought myself a HG to accent my full sussie...

b/c of the moab i will always be a schwinn fan...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

banned

Depends on the rider...IMO

I've also heard that HG's can be more fragile as time goes on compared to Moabs.
    I purchased my HG originally in '98. It was my multi-use bike back then. I've since stepped up and bought "duty specific" frames, but this one gave the me skills to utilize the advanages of bigger bikes.

During my DH race carreer , she sat idle...and even contemplated selling her. After a few years I settled down and singlespeed kinda hit the scene. I then made the conversion to SS and that's how she sits to this day. Still plenty of miles left in her if I can ever get over my addiction to my Turner Highline
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homegrown vs Moab 2 (525 Chromoly) questions.....-schwinn-ss-001.jpg  

Homegrown vs Moab 2 (525 Chromoly) questions.....-schwinn-ss-002.jpg  

Homegrown vs Moab 2 (525 Chromoly) questions.....-ss-paintjob-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I purchased my HG originally in '98. It was my multi-use bike back then. I've since stepped up and bought "duty specific" frames, but this one gave the me skills to utilize the advanages of bigger bikes.

During my DH race carreer , she sat idle...and even contemplated selling her. After a few years I settled down and singlespeed kinda hit the scene. I then made the conversion to SS and that's how she sits to this day. Still plenty of miles left in her if I can ever get over my addiction to my Turner Highline
    rattle can or powder coat...???

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    rattle can or powder coat...???
    Powder coat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Powder coat.
    seems to have turned out quite well...

in your opinion or the person who pc'ed it, does the baking of the pc compromise the frame strength...?

i am think about pc'ing my either yellow or white and have had a couple of warning me of the dangers of baking light aluminum frames (worried about the welds specifically)...

banned
    seems to have turned out quite well...

in your opinion or the person who pc'ed it, does the baking of the pc compromise the frame strength...?

i am think about pc'ing my either yellow or white and have had a couple of warning me of the dangers of baking light aluminum frames (worried about the welds specifically)...
    I heard the same thing and the painter didn't seem to think there would be a problem. I've put the frame through it's paces in SS mode and it seems strong as ever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

My Bad

Jobspeak: I believe Moabs shared geometry with the HG's of their day, but they were a bit heavier. I have a '98 Moab Aluminum, which is probably darn near the same as your 99. I'm not sure what year 22mm disc tabs were added to the chainstay, but my '98 doesn't have them. All Moabs were not aluminum, only the Moab Aluminums were. I think the cro-mo versions were dropped for '99, definitely by '00. The Moab was Schwinn's highest-end hardtail below the HG's.
    Thanks!

Sorry about putting into my post whether it was aluminum, my Moab is definitely not CM.

And it is a killer frame, better than many coming out new.

But...it's U.S. made, what factory?

I love the frame....high quality....

"."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

The temperatures used in powder coating don't get high enough to affect the aluminum's heat treatment.