mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Homegrown Question-Fork and Front End

Hey Everyone!

Haven't posted here much but probably will as my new project rolls onward. I just got a Schwinn Homegrown frame and have begun to build it up. This is the first ride I am building to my own personal specs with what I want in a beginner level mountain bike for the girlfriend. Also, it's fun to buy parts and tear off stuff from my race bike as I play the weight game.

My question is this. What is the steerer tube length for a homegrown? I want to make sure when I buy my front fork this week that it fits. Also, what other parts will I need to make it work on the front end? Totally clueless on this so it's a learning experience.

I have heard the fork should be an 80mm. Right or wrong?

Thanks.
    Kris

mtbr member
    It depends on the model you have. Earlier Homegrown hardtails were set up with geometry based on a 63 mm travel fork while the Sweet Spot full suspension bikes had 80 mm travel forks up front. Later full suspension Homegrowns had 100 mm travel forks, and at the end only the Homegrown Limited had a 63 mm travel fork while the other hardtails had 80 mm forks. The difference will mainly affect handling-putting a longer travel fork on a frame intended for a shorter travel fork will slow the steering down a bit.

You'll need a headset as well-most Homegrowns had your basic 1-1/8" threadless headset, but the 2000-2001 models had an ICBM headset that was unique to Schwinns at that time. The standard headset is easier to find, oddly enough, while the ICBM is still available but you'll likely need to order it if you're trying to find it at a local shop.

I'm not sure what else you may be aware of, but you'll need to install the crown race from the headset onto the fork, which either requires a special tool or one you rig up (search the forums here). You'll also need to install the star fangled nut that comes with the headset into the fork steerer tube and cut the fork to length-again, special tools are required to do the job right. Obviously, you'll need a stem and some spacers as well to get the height to your liking. Check out Park tool's website for lots of good info and how-tos.

-eddie.
    trying to find the same thing out myself, think i'll just go measure it.