mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Homegrown question

I had a customer who collects schwinns roll in with a couple bikes he wanted to consign. One was a bass boat green Homegrown. It was literally ridden once, and is perfect. I bought it on the spot. The serial # starts with 98, is that the year of the frame, or the year of manufacture? It has the checker stickers on the top and down tubes, LX shifters, hubs, brakes and cranks, XT front and XTR rear derailurs, Judy SL fork, non ICBM and non disc. What year is this one, a 98?

He also brought in a perfect Rocket 88 stage 1, I dont know if it was ridden ever. 21 inch.... Anyone need one?

He has about every cruiser that Schwinn makes, if you are looking, he probably can help, and is way fair on his prices. His bikes look the same as showroom condition!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Homegrowns are some of the best hardtails on earth! Depending on what year it is, you could have a gem. If it is hardtail...take a look at the rear wheel bottom bracket yoke, if you're looking at the side of it, and there is a divot, or recess, it is a Yeti, but if the edges are squared off, and it has a 6061 label, it is most likely made by Anodize Inc. 7005 aluminum was all Yeti had. They produced some Schwinn frames from 94-98. If it's full suspension, the only Yeti made frame is the bassboat GREEN one....but a rep told me there were two greens...not too sure of the full suspensions. Rockets are cool, but wear quick...hope this helps. I have 10 homegrowns. FS, FACTORY, and regular Homegrown's.

bike dork
    It's a 1998 model, not made by Yeti. They are really nice bikes but prices have dropped some for the frames over the last few years (judging from Ebay auctions, etc.).
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    *edit*
    Last edited by JohnQPublic; 11-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.