mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Homegrown frame integrity

So I have been searching and searching for a late 90's homegrown frame, and I finally found one. I found it on craigslist in Indiana. But I had to buy the whole bike, which included the old style XT components, and I think whatever else came on it stock, got it all for 375+40 shipping. It's bass boat red and I am unsure of the exact year, but I know the history of the homegrowns, the only thing is that there is a deep pin size dent on the down tube, about in the middle(wasn't told about this). I just want to know what this means. Is the frame weaker, less valuable? I'm riding a 4-banger right now, but I really wanted the homegrown hard tail to fall back on, and I kind of wanted it to be mint, well at least free of structural damage. So i stripped the parts and now am looking at a bunch of outdated components and a dinged frame. Also what are teh classic XT parts worth anything? Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll leave the structural questions to others, but I wouldn't *think* it should have any problem. Can you post a pic of the area? That would help some. As for the components, you might try to go back to Craigslist but I would think you would be better off either in the MTBR classifieds or Ebay. Granted, it's older stuff but depending on condition it should get something. Just clean everything really good before listing. I sometimes look for older items, but if it isn't even cleaned to sell that tells me how the owner took care of the components and generally dirty stuff sells for less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well maybe it's not that big, but it does feel deep.

bike dork
    It looks like it's barely through the paint, and there was a lot of paint on those frames... Tough to tell from a picture but I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/