mtbr member
    Nov 2009

HG Straight 6 Parts Originality???

Howdy.

I've been contemplating selling the wheelset and brakes that were on my 98 Homegrown Straight 6 as up until now, I didn't believe they were original issue.
    However, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

The catalogue suggests they ran Hayes brakes, with Ringle hubs.

My bike came with Hope C2 brakes, and Hope Hubs laced to Sunn Double-Wide rims..

The thing that has me stumped, is that the rear hub and rear brake mount are specific to this frame. Mine came with a Hope hub thats specific to the Lawwill frame, AND specific to the Hope C2 disc rotor, and the Lawwill floating brake mount to suit the Hope brake. There doesnt appear to be any modifications to either the hub or the floating brake mount, which leads me to thinking they they were original items to this frame, even though the Schwinn spec list implies otherwise.

Thoughts?

Pic of bike from Schwinn's Catlogue:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2549/...e12612f6_o.jpg
    Pick of mine before I dissassembled it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2134917...7622587546858/
    Pic of rear brake caliper and rotor:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/...2c7040d3_o.jpg

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Schwinn also sold Homegrowns as a bare frame only. So not knowing it's complete history, it really is impossible to tell.

I like making bikes "stock" according to what the catalogs listed, but I also think the ability to customize a frame into a unique and individualized bike with any choice of components is really cool, sometimes an art form.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, thats my dilema.

As far as I'm aware, hope hubs and brakes weren't available for the Lawwill Schwinns, and I've certainly never seen another bike with this combination. Just led me to question whether they were original items or not.

If theyre original, then I'll hang onto them, otherwise I'll sell them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    They are most likely original. The 98 Straight 6 was gold and red and did come with Sun Ringle hubs and Hayes brakes. If yours has the Hope goodies, then most likely you have a 1997 model that was only available as a frame as far as I have ever heard. These are pretty collectable from what I have heard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah sweet, that makes sense.

The swingarms both have the letters '97' in the serials. So this would reinforce what your saying about the year. I wasnt aware that they did the frame kits (or completes for that matter) in 1997, so I figured that it was made in 97 for a 98 release. I havent seen the frame kit listed in any of the catalogues etc.

Anyways, in that case, I'll keep the brakes and hubs etc together and try to find a set of 1997 Boxxers or DHO's to go with it. Thanks heaps for the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bellsy, I have the same brakes and hubs on my bass boat blue 97.

They are indeed original stock on the 97 S-6. They were revolutionary in 97, but not as good as stuff these days.

I cannot think of any rear brake that will work on that frame using the anti-brake jack floater. NONE. For that reason, I put the best EBC brake pad on the rear for improved braking and use the Hope 5.1 brake fluid. It improves the braking, but doesn't even com close to my modern Hayes. I say ride the bike and enjoy the ride. I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I cannot tell for sure, but i have read that some Straight6's came stock with the hope brakes, do not know if they were just the frames or the complete bikes... but i have seen quite a few pics of lawwills with hopes
    i also think that the floating brake adaptors are interchangable between S6 and S8's... and late S8 models came with IS adaptors instead of 22mmhayes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep, its a 97 frame which was available as a kit with the Hope C2 brake and Hope hub. So, I'm keeping it exactly as it is. I'm hunting for some 97/98 boxxers to put on it to build it up as a frame/fork/brake kit to hang on the wall.
    I've been able to get the Lobo rear shocks (available on eBay for $40-$150) to fit too using the rod ends and trunion mounts off the original shock, so I have a NOS shock on it now too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    does the lobo shock with that arrangement realy work good? that would be good news for a friendo of mine here in Spain

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dammit... What I should have done was buy up all the Lobo rear shocks and THEN posted that they fit the Straight 6's! *headdesk* Could have made a tidy profit!

But yes, they do fit if you use the trunion mount and lower rod end from your original shock. They work amazingly well. Tuning was spot on. I much prefered the Lobo shock than the original (but flogged out) Straight 6 one.

These are the cheapest ones I've seen on the bay. But they range from this price up to about $150. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_1187wt_911

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i have a nos straight6 shock and one friend was intrerested on it but tought that the lobo's could fit also but was not sure so that is good news

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I'm runnin a s-8 pullshock on my s-6.

The Super Deluxe (note piggy back) works way better than the Coupe D. It has compression and rebound dampening. I also have a Ti spring on there for extra blingness. Since it is longer the trunnion is about mid way. It sits a little high, but not as high as my friend's VP free. Nothing like the new style low BB 10 inch bikes the DH guys ride now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got an 8" travel shock to bolt up to mine without effecting the BB height too much.
    Check the gap between the droplinks and the lower swingarm. You might find that there's no clearance there. and you could damage the frame. It was one thing I had to pay particular attention too when I put a shock of that stroke length onto my 6.

You need to wind the trunion mount up so that it almost touches the spring seat (wind it away from the piggyback) and this will lower the BB Height, slacken the head angle, and help the clearance issue. Check the full movement of the frame while the spring is off the shock to make sure the frame isnt using all of its travel before the shock bottoms and tops out. Otherwise you could do serious damage to that very rare frame!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    or try to get a pair of Straight8 droplinks (i think that they will work with your hub...), there was a guy on ebay selling them not long ago, i got 2 pairs from him so if you are interested i can look for the name of the seller

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Checked and rechecked

Quote Originally Posted by Bellsy
    I got an 8" travel shock to bolt up to mine without effecting the BB height too much.
    Check the gap between the droplinks and the lower swingarm. You might find that there's no clearance there. and you could damage the frame. It was one thing I had to pay particular attention too when I put a shock of that stroke length onto my 6.

You need to wind the trunion mount up so that it almost touches the spring seat (wind it away from the piggyback) and this will lower the BB Height, slacken the head angle, and help the clearance issue. Check the full movement of the frame while the spring is off the shock to make sure the frame isnt using all of its travel before the shock bottoms and tops out. Otherwise you could do serious damage to that very rare frame!
    The shock is indeed all of the way up. The frame gets full extension without doing damage. The 24 in wheel pictured offers better geometry. I currently have a 26 back on there and it sits pretty high. I only ride it a couple of times per year. Thanks for the heads up, I would never want to damage it or get hurt doing something not compatible. It may be for sale in the future, who knows.

B

mtbr member
    hhhhhhmmmmmmm vertical wheel travel....
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In that case, I shotgun first dibs on it if you ever want to sell it!!!

And yeah, the 24" wheel would help the geo a bit, but they dont roll aswell over the bumps. TBH, I never understood why people ran 24" wheels in anything other than 4X. It helps your initial acceleration, but it sux over bumps etc.