mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New question here. Help with possible purchase

Hey,

I'm new to all of this and wanted to see if this bike would be worth getting. I know it's a Mongoose, but I don't know the model or anything but I will post the info the owner has emailed to me and a link to the ad. He won't go lower than 200.

I'm just trying to see if I like riding and will use it mostly for commuting/light trail w/ my son (any advice on a kids bike?) and I can't choke down 300 for something I might get rid of sooner than later.

Thanks!

Mongoose Full Suspension Bike
    It has the new Shimano trigger style shifter/brake combo set on it, along with Sram grips, new Shimano rear derailleur, new cable set, new rear wheel, tires are in great shape, aftermarket handle bars. I have raced it and it does very well at Binder Park.

it fits me perfect - im 5'10" as well - i rode it a lot thats why i had to put a new wheel on the rear - and being a full suspension it will def be more comfortable for commuting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My best guess...

I am NOT a Mongoose expert... but, from the pics to me...

It looks like it might be an XR-75. Can be purchased new for less if it is. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4698937
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

ChiliPepper1
    $200.....not worth it. You can get this new for the same or less. You can get a Specialized Hardrock or RockHopper for $150 more. Anyways, good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think you are right and it looks like the wal-mart bike. I think I'll go ahead and pass on this one.

Chili-
    Can you tell me where I might be able to find a Hardrock for that price? I know the LBS has a Trek 820 for 350. But like I said, I really don't know if I want to spend that much when I might not stay with it. I'm cheap when I can be. I like bargins and value.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by nismofun
    I think you are right and it looks like the wal-mart bike. I think I'll go ahead and pass on this one.

Chili-
    Can you tell me where I might be able to find a Hardrock for that price? I know the LBS has a Trek 820 for 350. But like I said, I really don't know if I want to spend that much when I might not stay with it. I'm cheap when I can be. I like bargins and value.
    Oh yeah, that is a Pacific Cycles bike (Walmart Mongoose), and looks like the 2007 to 2008 version of the XR-75.

Here is a link to the Specializes Hardrock, but it looks like they went up about $40 from last years bike:

Specialized Hardrock

That is no big deal, you can always find close out sales on this years and prior at any of your LBS's and most likely on the Disc or Sport plus bikes as well. You can always do a dealer search to find a dealer near you that handles Specialized or just take a drive around to all of your LBS's and see what close outs they may have on any good bike. BTW, that Trek is great bike as well, and I am not a strong Trek fan either, so that should mean something. The Trek's I really like are the Sessions or the new Scratches, and thats it. You also may want to take a look at some of the online outlets such as www.jensonusa.com or www.pricepoint.com for starters. They always have great close outs on good MTB's. So, with this info, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully someone else will chime in and give even more info. Need any assistance, just throw me a PM.

Keep it real and ride hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Spend time in the reviews section...

Spend time in the reviews section, find a selection of bikes that interest you. Look for bikes about 2-5 years old (full suspension), or 2-10 years old (hardtail). Watch the classifieds, Craigs, ebay and yard sales. Great deals can be found used if you have a little knowledge...

Hope this helps...
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul