CTB
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help! Another Q for 4-Banger/Straight 6 owners

Yes, yet another Q for those who own these bikes. In this case, I'm interested in hearing from anyone with a 2000 or newer 4-Banger with the black magnesium rear dropouts, or "2nd gen" Straight 6 owners - the one that was a long-travel 4-Banger, not the original pull shock model.

When I took my 2000 apart, I found something interesting. At the rear dropout pivots where the carbon arm and chainstay arm bolt together, there are shims/washers between the bearings and the dropout. The odd thing was that there were not 2 shims at each location - the lower pivots only had one shim. These shims are metal.

In contrast, when I took apart my 1999 Homegrown Banger, every pivot location had two shims, one on each side of the bearing. These shims are plastic. The mag dropouts from the later bike do measure 0.5mm narrower than the silver dropouts from the HG, but I have no way of knowing if this is just because someone over-tightened the bolts without a shim in there.

I guess there aren't many owners of S6/4B's here, but can anyone out there take a look and see if you have 2 shims at each location? It seems odd that there woudn't be, but I can't prove that there should. I'd like to assemble the bikes correctly since I have them apart.

I've attached photos to this thread to help illustrate what I'm talking about. The pictures are of the plastic shims from the HG4B that I have apart, but the metal ones are basically the same idea.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CTB; 02-28-2009 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    if i remember right, they all came with shims from the factory. i also remember after i took my old 4banger apart it was a ***** to get some of the shims in so i just left them out
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    You mean shims on both sides of each bearing, right? Yeah, it was a beeyatch to get them all back in...