mtbr member
    Jun 2008

To heavy for a 4 Banger? Hope not!

Hi all,

First time posting in the Schwinn area. I was wondering what all you 4Banger experts think about a Clyde on a 4 Banger? Depending on what time of year it is I can get up to 225 when the trails are snowed over and get as low as 210. Would a 4 Banger hold up to my weight or would I crack it and then be frustrated? I ride XC since there are not really any heavy duty big drop trails where I ride.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    Last edited by Zaskar24; 02-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    As the owner of an almost new '99 Basic 4-Banger frame I have some questions now. Looking through here I found the thread with the links to the Schwinn catalogs and found this bike in there. I see that it came with a 100mm travel fork. What would be the maximum I could run with this or should I stick with 100mm. Which I would be fine with since in the part of Illinois I live in it is more ravine biking then mountain. I was just wondering how badly a 120mm fork would throw off the handling. More questions will follow as I build this up which at this point will probably not be until next winter/spring.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here is a picture from the seller as well as from the '99 catalog.

For those who do have a 4 Banger here is another question. What size tire will fit in the rear? Would a 2.35 fit or is it to big?

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hi zaskar24, you actually outbid me yesterday with this bike lol... hope you will enjoy it!
    i am still in the hunt ;-)

What i have read about the bike is that it will stand your wheigh without problems giving its solid construction, specially considering you are doing mainly XC.

Please let me know your height cause i am stil doubting if 19" is too big for me or not (i am 1,78m), that will help me while searching for it. Thanks.
    Last edited by lamparito; 02-23-2009 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lamparito
    hi zaskar24, you actually outbid me yesterday with this bike lol... hope you will enjoy it!
    i am still in the hunt ;-)

What i have read about the bike is that it will stand your wheigh without problems giving its solid construction, specially considering you are doing mainly XC.

Please let me know your height cause i am stil doubting if 19" is too big for me or not (i am 1,78m), that will help me while searching for it. Thanks.
    Hello lamparito,

I still can't believe I won it. What it went for was my maximum bid!

I'm glad to hear about the weight thing.

I am 6'2" (1.897m if I am doing the conversion right) with a 34" (.87m) pants inseam. My other 2 bikes I know the size of are my Moots which is a 20" frame and my Zaskar which is an 18" so I figure the 19" should fit me fine.

Good luck with the search and sorry I won. Especially when the wife finds out I have another bike frame to build up.

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

smell my finger
    I ride a 2001 4-banger with a 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S 120mm with no ill effects. I'm 205 dressed to ride and have had a 4-banger set up as a straight-6 and jumped ,dropped and dumped it with no ill effects. My current 2001 is set up with the SID dual air rear shock and the 120mm fork, it's the XC ride I'll never get rid of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanx joemamad. What size rear tire are you running? I am thinking of going with a 120mm fork though I am not sure what yet. If I could find a new Reba Team U-Turn I might go with that. Or maybe a Fox F120. I'm really looking forward to getting this though the build will probably not happen until this fall.

Until then I plan on riding the hell out of the YBB and picking up parts for the 4 Banger as money allows.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

smell my finger
    I'm currently running an IRC trailbear 2.25 and there's more room back there. I have also ran a Maxis Mobster 2.35 with no problems. The IRC looks big for it's advertised size and the Maxis seemed a bit small. I don't think you'll have any problems with a 2.35.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is what I was hoping to hear joemamad. I have a pair of Michelin Mountain A.T.'s that are 2.35 that I picked up cheap at a bike swap. One is on the front of the YBB right now bight it is way overkill and weight for that bike.

For those of you that have put a new rear brake on their bikes what did you go with and what size? I have already picked up one of the A2Z adapters so that is not a problem.

More questions to follow I am sure.

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi again zaskar24, you have a nice project ahead! just do not tell your wife just yet, maybe she won't notice lol
    what joemamad says about tire size seems to confirm what i read about the back carbon arm to have a lot of mud clearance... allowing for big tires so good news for you.
    i will keep looking at this post as all the info will be very useful once i get my frame, (reading your opinion it seems that i need a 17 4 banger or a 18 straight6...i do not know why schwinn did not go for 18" in the banger too)

smell my finger
    That A2Z adapter wants a 180 mm rotor. that's a 7" and it's plenty of power. 180 is kinda rare, I had an Avid BB7 mechanical on there, it came with a 185mm so I used a couple of washers under the adapter to shim it up. I also had to run the Avid "adapter" backwards for the caliper to mount correctly. That was on my original frame with the 22mm post mounts. Watch the clearance between the A2Z adapter and the rear chainstay pivot, Mine was real close but it did not touch. My newer frame has the black magnesium dropouts with IS mounts and I had to grind the Avid brake adapter, but other than that no problems there anymore. When I say Avid adapter I'm refering to the post-mount to IS mount that almost every brake manufacturer uses if you are not rumming the standard post mounts like Manitou use to use and now many manufacturers are returning to (at least on forks).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lamparito,
    The wife already knows. I got one of the good ones because whenever I do something like this and think I am going to get in trouble she asks "Is the mortgage payed? The bills? Is there food in the fridge? Do the kids have clothes? Do you have some moey put aside incase of an emergency?" After answering yes she is fine with it! I would hate to find out if I ever answered no after doing something like this though.

joemamad,
    Once again thank you for the answers. I will keep my eye out for a disc brake with an 180mm rotor for the rear. I was thinking of going Avid but I am debating BB7 versus Juicy 7. Or maybe even try the new Elixirs out or go another direction all together. This will be my first foray into discs.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by joemamad
    That A2Z adapter wants a 180 mm rotor. that's a 7" and it's plenty of power. 180 is kinda rare, I had an Avid BB7 mechanical on there, it came with a 185mm so I used a couple of washers under the adapter to shim it up. I also had to run the Avid "adapter" backwards for the caliper to mount correctly. That was on my original frame with the 22mm post mounts. Watch the clearance between the A2Z adapter and the rear chainstay pivot, Mine was real close but it did not touch. My newer frame has the black magnesium dropouts with IS mounts and I had to grind the Avid brake adapter, but other than that no problems there anymore. When I say Avid adapter I'm refering to the post-mount to IS mount that almost every brake manufacturer uses if you are not rumming the standard post mounts like Manitou use to use and now many manufacturers are returning to (at least on forks).

180mm is not uncommon at all. Pricepoint has plenty of 180mm discs.

smell my finger
    Disclaimer: 5-6 years ago when looking for an economical well-working mechanical disk brake there were not many choices in 180mm sets. I'm not pushing Avid Mechs in any way -- They filled my needs back then and still work well, but my time on hydrolics since have spoiled me. (go hydrolic)

CTB
    mtbr member
    This has largely been covered but here's my 2-cents:

2.35 will fit, but you will have mud/leaf clearance issues with the carbon upper arm. I ran 2.24 WTB's on mine, and depending on where I set the ride height/trunnion, it would bottom the tire onto the carbon arm occasionally on big hits. Overall, though, I think 2.35 will work fine if that's what you'd like to run. Just keep an eye out that you aren't sandpapering the carbon arm too badly where the tire runs past it.

Rear brakes: Try the a2z adapter and put on a 180mm rotor. 22mm Hayes calipers are going for STUPID money these days, when you can just buy various adapters and put on a modern brake if you want to. I'm almost tempted to sell some of my 22's because the prices are ludicrous. But I'd rather keep 'em on the bikes.

If you are just going into discs, you'll be happy with any of the hydraulic systems you're looking at. Go with a good name and you'll be all set.

As for your weight, I again think you'll be fine. I don't think there's anything particularly weak about the 4B frame. You could run a 120mm fork, but know that it will make the head angle about 1.3 less than the 100mm fork would. I personally like the slower, less-twitchy handling settings on the bike, so you might like it as well.

My biggest concern for you is that you are 6'2" on a 19" frame. I would have figured you'd need a 21, but I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. At least both the 19 and 21 have the longer head tube size, which helps strengthen the front end for a big guy like yourself (110mm instead of 90 on the 15/17 frames).

Welcome to the Banger club! I'm a new member, but I love the bikes.

PS: I was also watching that frame on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    CTB,

Thank you for the reply. I have looked over your posts and the others here about the $ Banger before I decided to get it.

I think I will keep it at 2.2 at the most so I don't damage the carbon arm. Doing the kind of riding I do the bigger tires would be overkill. THough I will probably run one up front. I appreciate the heads up on the potential for tire rub.

I have the a2z adapter being shipped so that is taken care of. I guess it will come down to which of the brakes I mentioned I can get the best deal on when the time comes to build it.

I'm not to worried about slowing dwon the handling. I prefer my ride less twitchy as well. Probably why I prefer wide riser bars over a set 22" flats. I really like the Reba on my YBB so I will probably get one for this ride as well. Though the U-Turn that I can run up to 115mm would give me the option to get a bit more travel if I want it.

As to the size of the frame. Unless the geometry changed drastically from '99 to '00 the standover is just right for me. And I can adjust the length of my cockpit by going with the right size stem. The 21" looks like it wouldn't give me a lot of standover. I really cut my YBB close size wise so for this I thought I would give myself some extra breathing space.

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The frame arrived safe and sound yesterday. It was in better shape then I expected. A truly amazing frame. Holding it up to my Zaskar it is about the same side or slightly larger height wise while the top tube looks a little shorter.

Question. What size seatpost does it use? And for that matter seatpost clamp.

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24
    That is what I was hoping to hear joemamad. I have a pair of Michelin Mountain A.T.'s that are 2.35 that I picked up cheap at a bike swap. One is on the front of the YBB right now bight it is way overkill and weight for that bike.

For those of you that have put a new rear brake on their bikes what did you go with and what size? I have already picked up one of the A2Z adapters so that is not a problem.

More questions to follow I am sure.

Scott
    That is pretty much what you have to do is to get the adapter. It is very difficult to find the caliper with the smaller bolt pattern. I have a '99 Homegrown 4Banger that I found a caliper with the smaller bolt pattern a few years back but now they are hard to come by.
    Good luck with your build, you will love it. I've had mine since 2002.

Ken

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24
    Question. What size seatpost does it use? And for that matter seatpost clamp.

Scott
    Both mine have a 26.8 seat post. I just measured to make sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Both mine have a 26.8 seat post. I just measured to make sure.
    That's smaller then on my Zaskar of Moots both of which are 27.0mm. I'm really glad I like Thomson posts.

What did you measure them with CTB?

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

CTB
    mtbr member
    Vernier calipers, plus I do recall that being a standard Schwinn size from back in the day when I was ordering a suspension seat post for my Moab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Vernier calipers, plus I do recall that being a standard Schwinn size from back in the day when I was ordering a suspension seat post for my Moab.
    For some reason that stirred a memory in the dank recesses of my mind. Like I said earlier it is a good thing I like Thomson since they make a 26.8mm setback post in 330mm.

I do have a line on an '08 RS Reba Team for $440 shipped though I am still thinking about the U-Turn. Though I will probably just go with the Team for this bike.

Scott
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For all of you that may be interested in a large 21" 4 banger there's one on ebay right now, complete bike, not frame alone.