mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Which headset for a Khyber 2008?

Hi all,

As you can tell I'm new to mtbing with a question like this, but I am wondering if it is worth replacing the bearings or getting a better headset with sealed cartridge bearings? Any Khyber owners out there that have changed their headsets?

I have searched the forum for any threads dealing with headset replacement but have been unable to find any information that is specific to the Khyber. From the research I have done I am thinking the new headset will be a cane creek one but I am unsure about all the different types of headsets available, ie traditional, zero stack, integrated or tapered. The bike currently has an FSA orbit E.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What?
    Your bike takes a tapered headsed. cane creek would be a good choice to upgrade to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the reply mullen119,

I had a look at my head and it looks to be the same size at the top and at the bottom and the forks dont appear to be tapered either. I had a look at the cane creek site and from what I read would the XXc flush II fit? The reason I say this is on the mongoose site it states that the original headset is a 1.5" to 1 1/8" conversion which is what I understand the XXc flush II to be.

What?
    The XXc flush II fit is made to adapt a 1.5 head tube to fit a 1 1/8 fork. The head tube on the kyber is a tapered, So I would think you would have a tapered fork as well.

Here is a link to the specs on your bike. Its where I got the info that your head tube is tapered.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...lite&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the link, I just checked my head and it has a 58mm od at both the top and bottom of the head. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read the tapered heads have different sizes top and bottom. I am unable to measure my forks directly but from what i can find on the marzocchi site the steerer tube is the same size top and bottom thus it is straight not tapered. I will knock out the old races this weekend and measure the internal diameter of the head tube to sure. I was hoping there may have been a khyber owner who would have been able to give these exact dimensions so i could order the right headset and have it in my hands before removing the old one. I might just email mongoose and ask them directly.

What?
    I did some more digging and found out that your head tube is 1.5 and uses a head set like the XXc flush II fit that you previously where talking about to allow the use of a 1 1/8 fork. Bikepedia has the right information but the way it is worded makes it seem as if the head tube is tapered. Sorry for the confusion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    all good, hence why I am asking so many questions. The specs on bikepedia appear to be a copy from the mongoose site, http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/mtn/ProductDetails?id=2635&enc=mtn| which also say bugger all about the actual head dimensions apart from saying "FSA Orbit E 1.5" to 1-1/8" conversion, internal bearing"

So the measurement of 1.5 what does this relate too? I take it the 1 1/8 measurement is the thickness of the fork steerer tube.

What?
    The mongoose website adds the word "conversion". That's an important word to leave out on bikepedia lol. The 1.5 means that the head tube is made for a fork that has a 1.5'' steerer tube. So the headset you need to convert the head tube to be able to accept a 1.125 (1 1/8) steerer.

On a side note, If you plan on ever upgrading your fork, you would be able to get a 1.5'' steerer tube fork which is stronger and stiffer then 1 1/8. But you would have to get a 1.5 headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yeah ok, I got you now.

Thanks again for your help mullen119

What?
    No problem, sorry for the mix up earlier. Post some pics of your bike when you get a chance

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    sure thing, here is a pic just before the forks came out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    funny its not showing the pic. lets try this

mtbr member
    i see a bic lighter, choppa smokes herb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey Iridethedirt,

Im curious to know how you link the bic lighter with smoking the herb? lol

In aussie a bic lighter is hands down the most common lighter a tobacco smoker will use, which of course means herb smokers will more than likely use one as well. For a min I thought I might have accidentally snapped my bong in the picture. Mmm so I guess that confirms your statement Iridethedirt, yes I happily enjoy a little herb on the weekends