mtbr member

Had no idea Schwinn was so cool

Ignorance until recently. Became the owner of this 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory today. I thank much of the information I found here convincing me that this particular Schwinn was worth looking it.

From 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Limited

CTB
    mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. When I was shopping for a new bike back in '98, my cousin tipped me off. He told me to check them out and avoid preconceived notions. I found that they had better component selection for less money compared to some other brands back then, and I liked their paint/finish quality a lot. I'd say from '96 to '01, Schwinn was firing on all cylinders. Then the end came, but to me, those bikes still hold up today.

Enjoy your Homegrown. Looks like a good'n.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yea, I posted a wanted on a local MTB forum with a budget of $400-450 for a decent hardtail with discs and a solid fork. Guy replied that he had a Schwinn. My thought was "Are you serious?", but then I looked into what it was and did some research, happened to find out a guy I ride with rides the very same frame (I didn't know cause it's debadged). I checked it out on the trail and was sold on it.

25.6lbs with those huge ballons and pedals.

CTB
    mtbr member
    You can get a couple lbs out of that baby. I have that same wheelset - it's pretty light and decently tough (I'm 160 lb and don't get much air on my aggressive XC rides), but you definitely can save some weight on the tires. I love my Race King Supersonic 2.2 rear tire and Mountain King Supersonic 2.4 front. Both are very light for their size, have low rolling resistance, and offer good air volume. My RK is 465g, and the MK is 590g. I'm betting your balloons are much heavier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think you got a wicked deal on that bike if you onyl paid 4-450. I had a 2000 homegrown that cracked at the bottom bracket, but I was way to rough on that frame. keep the wheels on the ground and go like the wind. great ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

sweet

That bike is awesome. I just had a 2001 homegrown stolen and am looking to replace it, so let me know if you're ever interested in parting ways with it - I can pay top $$.

ddeming@gmail.com

-Dave

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Awesome bike Hunrugger. That's the top of the line right there for 2001. Last year of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    I'd say from '96 to '01, Schwinn was firing on all cylinders.

Bingo. I couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    ^ how tall are you? i have a 15" but i'm guessing that's to small
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Still loving it. I'm cleaning ledges and climbs that I never have before. It's quite capable even riding more than XC.

Minor changes made, SPDs added, changed to low rise bars (don't like flats) and a Small Block 8 on the rear. Took the Schwinn downtube decals off - they look a lot better in the pics than in person, so I removed them. I wouldn't think of removing the Homegrown, the Tomato on the yoke or the badges though. Also removed all decals on the R7 (having it serviced/new enduro seals) this week.

Dave, I think I gotta keep this one...I battle myself on it though.

mtbr member
    looking good hunhugger!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown