mtbr member

Freedrive Hardware Pivot Kits

Hardware Pivot Kits for the 2008 Khyber are aparently unavailable untill february.... i do not entirely trust that Mongoose will ACTUALLY have the pivot kits available. So, has anybody else run into this situation? I'm going to go to fastenal (specialty hardware store) and look to see what i can find. otherwise, my choices are, pay for custom machining of specialty hardware.... or buy a new frame. And i gaurentee that the next one won't be a mongoose. the bike is only 2~3 years old, and its hard to get wear and tear maintenance parts!!! I like the bike, the way it rides, and the freedrive setup is good. EXCEPT, they used what are called by the rollerblade speedskaters, "mini-bearings" on the pivot that sees the MOST sheer forces of all the pivots... 2 points here, a standard skate bearing would have been the ideal bearings... but i understand the size vs. weight issues that this poses with the bearing housing areas on both the BB and swingarm sides. The real solution to this problem is inboard and outboard bearings, this means adding a bearing to the pivot link itself, and swapping from a ball bearing to a needle bearing, to disperse the shear forces over a wider area. So.... not buying another mongoose because while the overall design is good, the bearing issues of the BB link are no good, as well as getting replacement hardware being so difficult! I might be able to take care of making new spacers on my own, or source them from someplace else, however, this is not the ideal situation for a mass produced bicycle.

What?
    The 2011 freedrive bikes all use the heavy duty bearings from the pinnr and bootr. That being said, I will be looking for a different frame as well, for the same reason as you.(getting parts)

mtbr member
    yep. its a bummer because i like the freedrive design, but i will not deal with such terrible customer service on the next bike i buy.
    That said, i removed all the pivot bolts and spacers, cleaned and re-greased everything, added a nylon washer as a spacer in the BB link to take up the gap caused by worn BB link bushings/spacers. I threadlocked all the bolts, and greased all contact points as described. This has helped a lot of the pivots quiet down, but i do need a pivot kit from mongoose. weather spacers are provided or not, I plan on making new ones, custom sized exactly to the frame and link. mongoose does not seem to hold the highest tolerances for some stuff... this should solve the issue by maching spacers for an exact fit. the spacers/bushings used in the larger linkages are more easily sourced as a typical "Washer" from hardware stores, or www.mcmaster.com/ is a great source for odd hardware needs.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#inner-race-spacers/=9nz6ob
    there are some metric sized spacers of various thicknesses listed that could help with the BB link.

mtbr member
    I just ordered some Enduro MAX bearings for my Canaan Team through Universal Cycles. I called Andy @ Mongoose and he gave me the measurements. Not sure why you would want the same bearings that came w/ your Mongoose since they are crap.

Item #: 13362-29215
    Description: Enduro-MAX Cartridge Bearing - 688 - 8x16x5
    Quantity: 4 @ $6.00

Item #: 13362-29205
    Description: Enduro-MAX Cartridge Bearing - 6000 - 10x26x8
    Quantity: 4 @ $6.00

www.universalcycles.com

mtbr member
    i guess you misunderstood me. i dont want the bearings, and I'm well aware of the multitude of bearing options like the enduromax, as well as places to source all ball internal ceramic bearings. what i want are the custom sized bolts and pivot bushings/spacers, mongoose only sells these parts as part of a complete "pivot kit" that replaced all the hardware and bearings, everything you need to re-build your suspension linkage. I have brain stormed and come up with other options, using either pices of tubing and tapping the ends for bolts, or even using thin nuts like on a standard 9mm axle doubled on the ends of a piece of bar-stock tapped (threaded) on each end. but none of these are what it was designed around... i also dont want to have to fabricate parts for a mass produced bike. as it is, mongooses loose tolerances on the width of the BB link housing is cause for me to go machine my own spacers when i get a chance... currently i have a nylon washer taking up the slack, not a solid solution.

I do not plan on owning another mongoose for these kinds of issues. the bike rides great, but undersized bearings, and unavailable wear and tear parts on a 2.5 year old frame tells me that these things have a short life span, and mongoose doesnt care about that, nor do they care about their customers. I'm not sure what I'd like to own, since what i really want is well out of my price range, Ibis mojo HD, starts at just over 4 grand.
    oh well... mongoose, your bikes ride nice, untill they wear out, then they are annoying hell beasts and become destined for the scrap pile. i just wish mongoose hadn't undersized the BB pivot bearings, and i wish they would make wear and tear items readily available for their bikes.

btw: 608 bearings are cheap, and readily available at almost any bike shop and skate shop, they are standard "skate bearings" and are time tested to hold up against lots of abuse, like skate boarders landing on them over and over...
    608 bearing dimensions: 8mm ID x 22mm OD x 7mm Width
    688 "mini" bearing dimensions: 8mm ID x 16mm OD x 5mm width

so, a 6mm difference in size would have made a world of difference in bearing life and much less frequent pivot maintenance. half a season and my enduromax 688s are already indexed and will need to be replaced by spring, twice a year i have to spend 25 bucks on bearings and spend an hour tearing down, cleaning, regreasing, re loc-titing, and re-assembling my BB link pivot. at this time i also just go ahead and clean and re-grease my main pivot and rocker arm pivots as well... so that hour becomes two. and thats less time to ride.

What?
    I might buy you kyber frame off you when your done with it.

mtbr member
    When I am done with it = when I can afford a new bike. I will probably buy another frame and swap all my parts over to the new frame. Earliest I will be getting a new frame would probably winter/holiday season 2011, or new years 2012.
    I am pissed off, but I can literally fabricate the parts I need if I have to. I decided to make custom sized spacers to fix mongoose being off a couple millimeters on the BB link.
    Mullen I take very good care of my bike. It has blemishes in the paint, but everything else is good. The frame damage that occurs when the BB link bearings disintegrate while riding has not, and never will happen because just noise from that area drives me nuts. Anyway, when replacement time comes, I will send you a message and see if you're still interested.

What?
    Im saving up to replace my Teocali with a Diamondback Mission I think. I was riding last night at Raysmtb and my frame was driving me nuts I. I just rebuilt it 7 weeks ago. Im officially done with freedrive. I want a bike that I do maintenance on once or twice a year, Not a full rebuild every 3 months.

What?
    Apparently, enduro max 688 bearings are sold out everywhere. Looks like I will be annoyed by my bike for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm guessing your don't own a 'goose any more, but useful to anyone in the same position who owns a one, I believe your looking for these?:

Mongoose M858L 90c Flat Head Hex Link Bolts
    Teocali/Bl Diamond BB Link Bolt.

Type that into google and it should bring back some results...

As for the inside spacer, I'm still trying to source those.