C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008

The "Freedrive" design

While rebuilding my bike, I've noticed how complex Mongoose's "freedrive" design really is. What does everyone think of it and how does it stack up aganist the others (DW-link, VPP, etc.) in terms of performance, reduce pedal-bob etc...

mtbr member
    I like the Free drive, peddal bob is nearly non existant except when standing while going up steep hills which happens on a lot of FS'ers. The tripple linkage just for the BB is interesting as it lessens the suspension travel arc in the rear and letting it go up without moving forward as much, though in practice I dont know if it helps anything. I get a lot of stares and questions from people when they see the left side of the bike where the BB isnt blocked by chainrings.

The only suspension systems with a floating BB that I know of are Mongoose Freedrive, GT's I Drive and the Schwinn Rocket uses the same thing called ISO Drive but I think its with a steel rear triangle and steel bushing with plastic sleeves like Dept. store bikes use, but it is only a $300 - $600 bike.
    06 Mongoose Teocali

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I dig it a lot for trail riding. The pedal bob isn't there. I've rode my friends BDT which weighs in at about 41-42lbs and it pedals trails like it's around the 38-39lbs mark and thats w/ flats. I bet would pedal even better clipped in it probably pedals even better.

As far as for DH riding I'll take a DW over the freedrive. I've rode both of those and the dw is so smooth. It track very well and to me always seemed to have traction. Never rode a vpp, but know a few people who have them and LOVE them. It's really all personal prefrance if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Much like GTís I-drive system standing up puts more weight onto the floating BB and it pedals noticeably worse than when seated and the suspension tends to dive a bit more but as I rarely get stand up to pedal that doesnít matter much. When seated the Freedrive system is pretty impressive, no bob to speak of, no pedal feedback and responsive suspension. Apparently itís not immune to brake jack, on some bikes itís noticeable but not here. I really like using both I-drive and Freedrive but Giantís Maestro, the DW Link and Trekís latest Full Floater/ABP are better, it depends what bikes we are talking about but Iíd say VPP is about equal in terms of ride and VPP2 is better, the older VPP bikes had a few dislikeable traits and SC bikes had rubbish pivots.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I own two bikes. One runs a four bar link and the other is my teocali. I'll keep it simple and just say that my teocali does everything my four bar can, but without the aid of a platform shock. My four bar runs a manitou spv which has to have the spv chamber filled nearly to max pressure just to sustain a proper feel. My teocali rocks!!

mtbr member
    I agree, my teocali rocks too. And the suspension design is waaaaaay better than a single pivot I've spent time on........

I also think each design is totally dependent on having the rear shock set up correctly for the design. So, just hopping on another bike with another suspension design isn't very helpful unless you ride it a lot and tune in the rear suspension.. FWIW

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Freedrive: Very rearward axle path make square-edges a non-event.
    Floating BB removes chain growth so there is almost no pedal kickback.
    Suspension stiffens slightly when you stand (contrary to a statement above) so it has less bob when standing and is more able to handle larger drops.
    Has an unusual rubber-chain sensation which is not bad but takes getting used to.
    Rarely needs propedal (unlike i-drive).
    Earlier variants were let down by undersized pivot hardware.
    If Intense/SC had developed this system, everyone would love it and want it.
    My 2c.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    There are an awful lot of bike snobs out there who can't conceive that Mongoose actually has some quality bikes in their line. I have a 2008 Canaan Comp and it handles much better and has far less pedal bob than the Stumpjumber I rented on vacation -- considerably less expensive too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had a Cannondale Rush 5(07) and now a teocali super(09). With the same drivetrain on each the teocali will make it to the top faster. Freedrive works. As compared to others it should hold its own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "Freedrive" design-1218090733b-2-.jpg  

Last edited by managedenemy; 12-18-2009 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    Freedrive: Very rearward axle path make square-edges a non-event.
    Floating BB removes chain growth so there is almost no pedal kickback.
    Suspension stiffens slightly when you stand (contrary to a statement above) so it has less bob when standing and is more able to handle larger drops.
    Has an unusual rubber-chain sensation which is not bad but takes getting used to.
    Rarely needs propedal (unlike i-drive).
    Earlier variants were let down by undersized pivot hardware.
    My 2c.
    Agree 100% - rubber chain feel. i didnt notice what you meant. i am still dialing in the rear shock for my preference. My Khyber is running an 02RL dual chamber, and while very smooth and excellent, its hard to figure out exactly what psi to run for my preference. i can say the BB movement is not noticeable. its a good design that, like you said, is under-rated, and had it been a design of a company without a reputation for selling walmart bikes, would have been concidered a great design. It works... bottom line. i get lots of crap for riding a goose myself, i ride with some guys who work in a bike shop, and they are all behind giants new design pretty much. DW link, Maestro, VPP2 are great designs with better companies behind them than mongoose, but the gooses bang for the buck, and effective design make it a great deal...