Just Joshin' ya!

Free Drive Bottom Bracket Movement

How do people feel about the bottom bracket movement that happens with the free drive suspension system? I am looking to get a downhill bike at a good value and the Boot'R fills the bill pretty well. That being said, I am unfamiliar with Free Drive and I wonder if anyone can describe any weird sensation since the bb is not tied to the front triangle. I have heard you have to get used to it, but not sure what that means.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Out There
    Nov 2009
    I have no basis for comparison since I've always ridden hardtails, but I have an '09 Boot'R and I haven't noticed anything too weird.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    You don't notice it..Even on long nasty uphills (which you won't be doing) you don't notice it..
    My Teocali Super has a RP23 and the only time I use the propedal is in deep sand or deep mud. even then ,I only use the first setting. Don't even use it for climbing.
    Freedrive is great..Looks crazy but is great..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Freedrive is so much better. I had a cannondale rush 5 and my teocali super will beat it out on the sprint even if both bikes had the same drivetrian. I never notice the movement of the crank!!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Thanks for the input all. I went dhing with a dude that has a Boot'R and said he couldn't feel any movement when riding either. I have found a 09 mongoose boot'r brand new for less than 2K and think it will give me my DH fix as opposed to tearing up my all mountain bike. I really like the aesthetics and the new choice of suspension of the 2010 Boot'R so I might wait for that though.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So is this BB movement that same thing as the "rubber chain" feeling that other people have mentioned?

mtbr member
    Never noticed a "rubber chain" feeling. Honestly, it's really hard to notice, if you are thinking about it, you will notice that, indeed the BB moves a tiny bit, but I don't spend my ride thinking about the movement of the BB, so it feels totally normal. I had no trouble at all getting used to the the bike, it's not something to worry about.

What?

Don't hesitate

If you can get a complete bike for $2k then go for it. The bike is the best deal out there, even at @ $4k. I've had my Boot'r Team for a full year now. It is the quickest pedaling DH bike i have ever owned. I can feel the pedal move every once in a while, like when seated and pedaling and I hit a roller, or g-out. The only thing I would change is to slack out the head angle a bit. That will make it more stable at very high speed. Looking at the '10 geo, it says 64.5, and '09 was 66.5.
    Definitely recommend!!! It's not bad for a "Walmart Bike"

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I have owed a bootr Team for 2 years now and also own a teocali and a khyber.. I can attest that the BB movement is bairly noticable.. the boot'r, if i drop my 15 foot drop and I pay attentiong to my feet, I can feel the slightest sensation, but thats only if I am trying to.. if your not paying attention would wouldnt know.. Just buy the bootr!! best deal out there.. and chuk2rs, you could buy the drop crowns for the boxxers, My buddy and I switched and it raked mine out to like 65.75 degrees nothing huge but it made a difference.. the '10 bootr should be a great bike.. just cant afford a new bootr when I have a 09.. haha