Thread: Frame ID please

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Frame ID please

Hi, can anyone tell me the year this frame was made ? Is it a decent frame or a (gulp) Walmart frame as I want to rebuild it with newer and better components.I have tried looking at the catalogues but I cant find anything with this paint scheme.

Thanks in advance.

CTB
    mtbr member
    The serial number should be on the bottom of the bottom bracket area. I'm not sure what they did after 1999, but I believe the first two digits were the year back then, i.e. if it starts with 98, it's a 1998. A 7005 aluminum Mesa GSX appears to me to be a "real" Schwinn from about 2000 or so. I didn't see this color combo in my catalogs either on a quick look, but my guess is that the bike is around a 1999 or 2000. BTW, is that a riveted-on headtube badge? That would make me think older, not newer, i.e. more likely a "real" Schwinn. Also, in 2002 I believe the Mesa frame changed. The GSX came out in 1997 in aluminum, IIRC.

My take is that it's a good frame, build it up.

www.airbornemtb.org
    i agree, doesnt look like a walmart schwinn to me. one way i tell is by the head tube gussets and those look like the ones on my 97 moab not the new junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks to CTB and nick d for the response. Yes the badge is riveted on. I better get my spanners out

Singletrack Slayer
    The "Ride Tuned" badge is from late 90's era, and the frame looks like a Moab from 98ish. I'd used to own a 98 Moab. I'd say it has to a 98 or 99 model. I too could not find a model year in that color.? But the graphics are totally from the 97to99 era, maybe a custom or limited frame production.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

www.airbornemtb.org
    yeah ive never seen that color and i worked in a schwinn shop during that period....i think the ones i remember were blue and yellow? pretty cool, almost like you got a one of a kind!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.