mtbr member

Fox Coil Shock for 4Bangers

Hey all,
    I was browsing around, and found what might be a Fox coil shock that can be used to convert the 4 bangers into a straight 6.

Check out this link:
    http://store.icyclesusa.com/Product333

Recession buster special after adding it to your cart = $69.99
    The picture indicates that it'll fit with the trunion mount, but I don't know for sure.
    So if anyone was interested in trying out something different for their 4 Banger, you might want to check this out while they're still available.
    Cheers,
    Mark

****edit****
    I just checked again and it says the product is discontinued. It seems to be intermittent.
    Sorry.

****edit no. 2*****
    I just checked again, and they're showing to be in stock for $69.96 after adding to your cart. Wow!
    Last edited by TrailBurner; 01-07-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Person
    Sep 2005
    I think Fox uses a different thread pitch on the shock body so the trunion will not mount on it.

mtbr member
    Could be.
    I know that Fox was the supplier of the shock for the last generation of the Straight 6's. (The yellow ones in 2000 or 2001?)

I myself have the Fox Vanilla R on my 4Banger and I could swear it looks like that one in the picture!

I wonder if there is some way to check it out without just buying it and physically trying it on the bike.
    If I had extra cash, I'd buy that shock in a heartbeat and send it to Push Industries. The Fox coilover transforms any 4Banger into a much better bike.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBurner
    Could be.
    I know that Fox was the supplier of the shock for the last generation of the Straight 6's. (The yellow ones in 2000 or 2001?)

I myself have the Fox Vanilla R on my 4Banger and I could swear it looks like that one in the picture!

I wonder if there is some way to check it out without just buying it and physically trying it on the bike.
    If I had extra cash, I'd buy that shock in a heartbeat and send it to Push Industries. The Fox coilover transforms any 4Banger into a much better bike.
    So the Fox worked with the stock 4Banger trunion?

I found a longer Rock Shox shock for my 4Banger last year, a big improvement over the original (no rebound adjust). But am curious about what a Fox would be like, lots of cheap used ones on ebay too if you look around a bit.

smell my finger
    I've seen a fox with a rockshox trunion that was "drilled out" or the threads filed out and then sandwiched between 2 spring collars to keep it in place. I guess that's an option. I think it's in a thread here somewhere. The diameter of the body of the 2 shocks is very close but the thread pitch is different between rockshox and fox. I cannot tell you if the oem fox shocks on the straight 6 have the right threads for a rockshox trunion, though.

mtbr member
    4Banger rear-shock up-grade: the Risse Racing Jupiter5. i had no problems at all, i took many big drops and nasty rock gardens with no issues what so ever and i highly recommend it for all 4 banger owners, Risse Racing has all the parts still in stock. just have to call for the custom order and will take a few days-week for assembly. well worth in my opinion. 541-526-7242. i just called to confirm @9:55'ish am 25 Aug and yes, they still have the goods to make the shock for the 4banger and i'm sure the '01 straight6.

http://www.risseracing.com/coilshocks.shtml[/QUOTE]
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I bought (errr ... wasted $50) on a Fox vanilla thinking that the trunnion would fit. Negative.

mtbr member
    edit...
    Last edited by shwinn8; 12-07-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    The trunnion is pretty simple overall. Perhaps you can have a local machine shop make you one? You could give them the Rock Shox one for a pattern, and they could thread the trunnion for the Fox thread and get you going.

Person
    Sep 2005
    This shock will work for anyone that already has the trunion, plus will convert your 4 banger to a straight 6. Not my auction, but I do have the same shock on my homegrown.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Shox-Deluxe...item3363a0e6e8

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the heads-up Baulz, I got it for $32.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EHPhillips
    Thanks for the heads-up Baulz, I got it for $32.
    Cool! You may need a stiffer spring, I have a 500 on mine. Would like to try 550. I weigh 175ish.

mtbr member
    delete

mtbr member
    I apologize in advance for resurrecting such an old thread. I felt it was better than starting a new one.

Does anyone know where I can find the trunion for mounting a Fox Vanilla shock to a 4 banger/straight 6? I have a Vanilla R on my 4 banger right now but I know there are a few other people looking for one and I wouldn't mind having a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Baulz View Post
    Cool! You may need a stiffer spring, I have a 500 on mine. Would like to try 550. I weigh 175ish.
    Looks like its in stock per the link below. 600lb. spring. Chain Reaction Cycles has one with an 800lb spring in stock, I just picked one up. The price for the shock and spring is less than my LBS wanted for just a spring.
    Fox Shox Vanilla Shock 600x1.63