CTB
    mtbr member

First Ride - "New" Banger

I met my goal of riding my "new" bike this weekend. After putting a lot of hours into it today, it was ridable. While it looks exactly like my old one, not that many parts are shared. The rear triangle, my fork, seat, stem, shifters, and brakes. That's it - everything else is "new" to the bike. In the pics you'll see my old wheelset. My LBS is taking their sweet time on getting me my Stan's tape, so I can't build up my new wheels yet. They're the bulk of the weight reduction program, so I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Details of the new stuff:
    1998 17" Homegrown 4-Banger front triangle
    XTR M970 crankset (used)
    Monkeylite XC carbon bars (inherited from donor bike)
    Chris King headset (used)
    Thomson seatpost
    Ergon GC3 grips with integrated bar ends (I'm a bar-end kind of guy)
    All new cables
    Eventually, Specialized Roval Traversee EL wheelset (used) once I get my Stan's tape

Someday I'll replace the old Hayes brakes, but I'm out of money. Elixir CR's will drop a few grams off the bike and provide much more adjustment, so that'll be a performance upgrade. In theory, I'll have taken ~2 lb out of the bike, 1.6 of which is in the rotating components (crank and wheelset), so I think that will be noticable. There's probably another easy pound in there, but I've made specific ergonomic choices that I'm sticking with (grips and seat). I also think I'll like being back on a 17" frame again. Comparing the 17 to the 19, it's definitely more compact. The top tube is much lower, and the seat-to-headtube is 0.7" shorter.

Now I need to have a garage sale for the MOUNTAIN of parts I no longer need. Whew.

I'll add a picture of the 19" for comparison. The 19" is the last picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Ride - "New" Banger-dsc06533s.jpg  

First Ride - "New" Banger-dsc06531s.jpg  

First Ride - "New" Banger-dsc06092s.jpg  

Last edited by CTB; 02-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Crazy about Homegrowns

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....

Nice! Wouldn't expect anything less from you. Hard to believe that just 2 inches can make a world of difference.

Do let us know when/what you sell. I need lots of parts for my Bangers...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    Nice! Wouldn't expect anything less from you. Hard to believe that just 2 inches can make a world of difference.
    Just ask any female! lol

Very nice CTB, the new cranks look tops!
    Whats it weigh now? 27ish?

I also took mine for its first propper ride on the weekend at my local XC course. Just did a single 6mile loop as it was raining and I was extremely hungover from a fixie race and drinking session the night before.

Will update my post with thoughts.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Bellsy, I don't have a scale to weigh the bike at this point. Once I get my other wheelset on there, it should be in the high 27's if my predictions are correct.

Still debating the crank visuals. As you can see, I have a blue Crankskin on one side. I have a second shade of blue to try, but neither is a great match for the more-green-than-you-think blue of the frame. We'll see which I like best. Thanks for the comments, tho!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yeah I like the raw finish of the XTR cranks in the first pic.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Getting closer...rear wheel/tire is finished, front needs converted to tubeless still. Today I finshed installing the Enduro seals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nicely done CTB! +1 on the natural crank look. I saw you are from MI. I used to live right across the road from Pontiac Lake. It's been 15 years since I was there. Great place to ride. I really enjoyed riding Highland Rec out on Duck Lake Road. I plan on bringing my HG back this summer to MI and riding some beautiful SE MI singletrack.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I love Pontiac Lake. Not a big fan of Highland, but I can also recommend Murray Lake in Brighton. If I lived across the street from Pontiac Lake, I'd be in much better shape!

I'll have more updates on the "new" ride eventually. One last piece of the puzzle yet to be completed, then it'll be all done.

CTB
    mtbr member
    The bike is nearly done. I'm waiting for one more part to arrive and then the final product will be complete, other than tuning and brake bleeding. Here are some teaser shots of one of my favorite changes.

Last edited by CTB; 03-19-2010 at 04:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Those gold Elixr's would look amazing on a bb gold/silver frame!

CTB
    mtbr member
    They're more brownish/root beer in person than the pictures suggest. I like that they are reminiscent of the original Hayes Mags in color. The CR Mags are the spiritual successor to the Hayes Mags.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    I never realized that the black dropouts had the later disk spacing.

CTB
    mtbr member
    You betcha - Schwinn actually installed a 44g adapter that converted 51mm IS to 22mm post mount, if you can believe that! Converting the earlier aluminum dropouts to 51mm IS-mount is much easier than doing the same on a Sweetspot or hardtail Homegrown, though. Bellsy's bike has a nice illustration of that. But since I had the mag dropouts, them's the ones I used.

Finished the general stuff on the bike tonight. All that is left is to put protective clear tape where the cables rub, lube the chain, and perform the Closing Ceremony - the installation of a new Schwinn headtube badge. The one that came on the bike was crap (no red left on it) and I have a few of those in my stock, so that will officially christen the bike.

I guess I'll reveal the numbers. Last year, the 19" I was riding was 29.9 lb. This year, this bike scales in at 27.2 lb. 1.6 lb of that 2.7 lb reduction came out of the spinning bits, so I think I'll feel it. I realize one feels what one wants to feel, but I swear pedaling it on the street in front of my house felt like it accelerated snappier. I'm probably imagining it, but that's how it feels. I'm particularly happy in that I'm almost in the 26's while still using my heavy Ergon grips and my Gel seat that you all love so much. If I swapped out those, changed the front tire, and got some lighter pedals than my M520's, I could hit 26.4 based on my calculation. But 27.2 with no sacrifices in functionality makes me pretty happy.

Some people binge eat to cheer up - this year I binge weenied my bike. Changes from last year:

1998 17" Homegrown 4-Banger front triangle ilo 19" (full frame still for sale - much lower price if ya want it)
    XTR M970 crankset (used)
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars (25.4 clamp, 660mm, 40mm rise)
    Chris King headset (used)
    Thomson seatpost (250mm setback)
    Ergon GC3 grips with integrated bar ends (I'm a bar-end kind of guy)
    Avid Elixir CR Mag brakes (non-standard color and with tool-free reach adjustment, not normally on Mags) with G3 rotors
    Specialized Roval Traversee EL wheelset (used) set up tubeless with Stan's tape and sealant (21mm inside width).
    All new cables

I can't wait to try it out. I ran out of daylight, so pics will come later, hopefully on a nice, sunny day. Yeah, I could have bought a new Trek Fuel EX9 for what I have in this bike all-told, but this was fun and I ended up with something I'm not going to see pass me on the trail very often. It's a labor of love. Plus all the crap I spent too much money on can be reused on a frame in the future due to being good stuff. Rationalization mode "on."
    Last edited by CTB; 03-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member

Now completed!

It's finished.

Last edited by CTB; 03-18-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Awesome!

Get it dirty yet?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Not yet. I was hoping to get out today after work, but schedule and trail conditions aren't working out. Most of our trails are swamps right now and should be avoided.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The bike looks tasty. I'm very much looking forward to a ride report. The seat still makes me cringe though.

Have you managed to sell the old frame yet?

See if you can find yourself an Avid Rollamajig. They aren't produced anymore, but are still around. It will let you take that huge loop of cable which goes to the rear derailleur out.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but where'd you get those adapters for the hydro line?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but where'd you get those adapters for the hydro line?
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1606

CTB
    mtbr member
    BM's got it. Mine are the Jagwire ones. The plastic ones that came with one of my Bangers refused to keep the hose in check up by the head tube. These are great, if a bit hard to tighten. Also, I had to drill out the thick Bass Boat paint in the cable guides. I used a drill bit with my hands, not a drill, and that did the job.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    The bike looks tasty. I'm very much looking forward to a ride report. The seat still makes me cringe though.
    No, those upholstered pipes that they call "saddles" are what should make you cringe. Freaking sadists.

Have you managed to sell the old frame yet?
    Nope.

See if you can find yourself an Avid Rollamajig. They aren't produced anymore, but are still around. It will let you take that huge loop of cable which goes to the rear derailleur out.
    Is that what the heck those things are for? I never figured out what they did.

keeping it dirty
    How are those ergonomic grips feeling?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I love Ergons. I have them on all my bikes - this is my third set (my other two don't have the bar ends). I have zero complaints about them, and my hands are much better off with them. I plan on trying the BioKork model eventually as well. Lighter and eco-friendly - win-win.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Ride - "New" Banger-rollamajig.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    BM: Yep, I'm eventually going to get one. Just looking for ones less than $20 new. Which, as I think about it now, is ridiculous considering how much I've spent on the rest of it.