CTB
    mtbr member

First ride of my "new" 4-Banger!

Yesterday I finally was able to take a real ride on my "new" 2000 4-Banger. I had gotten it "good enough" so that I could shake it down and see what I thought before investing more money, etc. It was exactly what I hoped it would be! Much more plush-riding than my S-Carbon, but still agile. It made me smile. I had some teething problems that eventually put an end to the ride (all of which were assembly errors on my part), but I'm very excited to get 'er dialed in exactly as I'd like. It was much more plush than my friend's brand new Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, so that made me feel like I chose wisely for my taste and style.

I've never used air shocks/forks before, but it seems like my guesses were pretty good. Anyone out there have suggestions for 4-Banger pressures in the SID fork/shocks for a 160-lb rider? I seem to have been pretty close at 140 psi in the shock (both pos and neg air) and around 100 psi in the fork (again, both pos and neg).

Can't wait to fix the issues I still have and get back out on it! I'll post an updated picture over in the Schwinn pics thread once I have it dialed in with the new bars, grips, tires, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey CTB quick question how do you measure a bike frame verically or Horizontally?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Size is measured from the BB to the top of the seat tube. So a 17 is 17 inches from BB centerline to the top of the seat tube.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB

I've never used air shocks/forks before, but it seems like my guesses were pretty good. Anyone out there have suggestions for 4-Banger pressures in the SID fork/shocks for a 160-lb rider? I seem to have been pretty close at 140 psi in the shock (both pos and neg air) and around 100 psi in the fork (again, both pos and neg).
    I should have the manual with recommended psi at home, will dig it out and get back to you.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Baulz, that'd be awesome, thanks!

Person
    Sep 2005
    The setup guide says to set the psi at 75-85% of your bodyweight. So you aren't too far off right now.

I have the torque specs for all the bolts as well. If you want it I can scan and email it to you.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Wow, that would be outstanding! I've been afraid to take anything apart yet since I didn't have torque specs and had heard about cracking, etc.

Thanks a ton!

Person
    Sep 2005
    Here is the chart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks! My other bike is a Sweetspot, so you're the man! Thanks again - this will be useful.