mtbr member
    Apr 2009

first bike a mongoose xr250 q's and opinions...

all i hear about mongooses are bashes. is it because it is a mass production bike available at walmart? i got it for $230 shipped because i need to exercise. my only issue is i am 6'4" and 240 lbs. i have a limited selection when it comes to bikes. i want a quality bike for ~$250 COMPLETE.

is this bike as bad as people say? i think i read about 50/50 reviews ont eh actual bike. a few cases of mongooses breaking, but the cases are between models.

i have a fear of the shock screws either breaking, or bending. should i be concerned? i can get my hands on Grade8 hardware(high performance automotive) i need to know what the thread, pitch and legenth of the shock mount/triangulation screws. (all 4.)

and i read the grips are garbage. does this really matter for a noob such as myself?

anyone WHO HAS ACTUALLY RIDDEN THE BIKE please let me know your honest opinion.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

send the bike back....

Man, I have one of those bikes. EVERYTHING is breaking down. It is not by far a quality bike. Please, do yourself and your pocket a favor and return it, then go buy a used brand bike on craigslist.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p_mihai_ro
    Man, I have one of those bikes. EVERYTHING is breaking down. It is not by far a quality bike. Please, do yourself and your pocket a favor and return it, then go buy a used brand bike on craigslist.
    no offense, but this is your first post.

define everything...

this is obviously a beginner bike and i am a beginner. its a bike, things are meant to break. i will upgrade what brakes when and if something does. i ahve heard mixed reviews. this is the latter.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhkswrx

define everything...

this is obviously a beginner bike and i am a beginner. its a bike, things are meant to break. i will upgrade what brakes when and if something does. i ahve heard mixed reviews. this is the latter.
    I think what he means by everything, might very well be...
    EVERY THING...
    It is a toy or a BSO - not a mountain bike (Even has a sticker stating so)

for a first post, p_mihai_ro offers some pretty sage advice - take the bike back.

what do you mean "things are meant to break"?
    If that's your expectation you certainly wont be disappointed.

Where do you see 'mixed reviews'?

You can find a decent 'beginner' bike for what you paid for the 'goose.
    But if you keep this bike, expect to pay for it again fixing it or even worse, fixing yourself

PS - Please read the "Beginners and Dept. Store Bikes" Sticky at the top of the Beginner's Corner forum page.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhkswrx

define everything...

Well, Now I have 2 posts - just like you do

Now, to the bike, My friend and I bought 2 of these, here's what happened:
    On my bike:
    1. Rear brakes won't work right. I say ok, i'll use them till they won't stop me at all then change them... 3 days after i have the bike the springs in the rear brakes became too soft to pull the brakes away from the rim every time. I go and pay $16 for the absolute cheapest bike store brakeset - the difference is huge.
    2. Front tire was unproprely seated, so there is a wobble in the wheel.
    3. 5 days after i have the bike i notice that there's a weird noise when being in third cog in the rear. i check and guess what - the cog is bent. Go buy Shimano freewheel set ($36).
    4. 1 week after having the bike - I note that the rear wheel wobbles badly if spinning off the ground - oh well it's bent also, at the hub.
    5. I note that the rear spring is getting softer and softer. I had previously set it so that the sag was about 30%, well now it's almost 50%.
    6. I found that dirt has entered the fork (I'ts gritty when you push it down),so i say let's clean it. You can't disassemble the fork to clean it.

On his bike - i'm lazy, about the same happened just that on his the crank wasn't lubed so now it spins very hard (I didn't have the tool to remove the pedal arm so i could't remove the crank)...

You know what's my mongoose xr 250 doing now? Rusting in the shed. I ride a Mongoose Otero Expert - i paid 450, the difference is night and day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Im sorry to hear what happened to your bike.

the reason i am assuming something will break, is because something will eventually break(wether its a $75 bike ot a $1000 bike)

here are the review links. as you can see there are mixed feelings. all 3 have 4 of 5 stars.

http://www.dirtworld.com/productrevi...7576&rn=5&rt=5

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/3610588/reviews.htm

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:26%22%20Mens'%20Mongoose%20XR250%20Full-Suspension%20Mountain%20Bike:2001551626: page=user-reviews

my point is, mongoose mass produces bikes. probably tens upon thousands of the XR250 are sold or are avail for sale. there are some complaints, but the praises out weighs the complaints nearly 10 to one. by no means is EVERY bike a manufacturer makes is completely full proof and 100% safe. but pacific cycle has addressed almost every issue presented.

i also think it comes down to installation. p_mihai_ro, may i ask, did you and/or your friend put the bike together yourself? if not, was it putchased pre assembled? if you did it yourself, is this your first put togehter? most of these bikes are put together by walmart or target associates who know nothing about bikes. and without the proper knowledge, over torquing one bolt CAN warp a brake or sprocket. that is why a friend (who used to be a mechanic at a LBS is helping with the assembly(read: doing it himself payment in the form of heineken WILL be involved.)

I need to get out and exercise. i do not have the money to pay $50/m for the gym and this is the next best thing. i feel this is a GREAT entry bike that i can upgrade if and when it needs to or until i get $800 for a new bike. not til NEXT tax returnd come in... )

do you feel this will be adequate? i checked craigs list and ebay and i dont have $400 to spare now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You can get a walmart bike that'll be okay for a while, but that fake dual isn't one worth considering. If you must get a Walmart bike then get a hardtail, or a straight up ridged frame with no shocks. That'll last the longest, be the lightest and will be the most enjoyable to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My $0.02
    At 6'4" and 240 - you really should be looking at a hardtail to start. The suspension will never hold up. More people end up not liking biking because they start on a bike that is wrong and hate the experience than I care to think about.

My suggestion for a hardtail is based on:
    1) your size/weight/budget. For a decent full squish bike at your weight (I am almost as big) you'll need to spend more than a grand - probably a lot more. The only good solution for your budget is a hardtail.
    2) Leaning on a hardtail will make you a better rider - a lot better. Full susp. is great, but for learning proper pedaling, and how to handle a bike, nothin' beats a hardtail.

Good luck - let us know what you go with.
    BTW - don't put too much stock in bike reviews - very few people will say, "I could have bought a better bike". Ego plays a large part in the review process. IMHO.

Edit - I reread your post. Going with grade 8 hardware might be a bad idea - if I remember correctly, grade 8 hardware breaks, but doesn't bend. Better to have a bolt bend and warn you that it will fail, rather than have a catastrophic failure. Spend any grade 8 money on a better frame. Again, only my opinion.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member

Let me chime in...

What many of the posters are saying here, while unpleasant, is totally true. My son got the Walgoose Blackcomb for Christmas. We had looked at the XR 250 for another son. Even with the occasional riding we were doing through the winter months of January and February, things started breaking or not working on the bike. Here's where the big issue comes in. What do you do with a Walmart bike when things stop working? Have the toy department stockboy do an adjustment for you? Issue number one, then, is NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT AFTER THE SALE. Fortunately, they are very gracious on returns...TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT AND RACE THIS THING BACK TO THE STORE.
    Second, if things are going to break - you may choose to replace with better components. The problem here is you will end up with a poorly sized bike (unless you have the one body size that it was made for) that weighs a ton, but has good components. Issue two, then, is A BOAT ANCHOR WITH THE BEST COMPONENTS IN THE WORLD WILL STILL BE A BOAT ANCHOR.

Go to a local bike shop and have them size you up on a few bikes. Look at their lower end bikes and ride them around in their parking lot. If the price is still too high, check craigs list and ebay for bikes of the size that fits best

We cut ourselves loose from the Walgoose - he got a real Mongoose hardtail at Performance for about $80 more and I got a full suspension. We are both loving them to death, and have become regulars at the store. The customer service is great (as you should expect from any LBS as well). Finally, our two new bikes were so much better than the younger son's bike, that he got an entry level Mongoose (the Rockadile) also at Performance for about the same amount you paid for the XR 250. It is a much simpler bike, but having the lifetime frame guarantee and free lifetime adjustments that come with a bike from Performance makes all the difference in the world.
    Vehor vivo est!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcq
    What many of the posters are saying here, while unpleasant, is totally true... ~snip~ Performance makes all the difference in the world
    ...he said with tact and sound reason.

mtbr member
    May 2009

I have owned this Mongoose XR 250 for a year now

Granted, I havent had an "expensive" bike yet. I started out on Walmarts cheap bikes- like NEXT bikes. We have a very rugged course here with tight turns, ledges, drop offs, roots, etc. This course has broken rear shocks and flattened tires on the Next bikes. THIS bike is holding up well so far. Only thing broken was one of the pedals, which they are PLASTIC, so I boughts some alumininum ones for it. The bike shifts great. Ive heard gripes about the front forks, mine works great and I weigh 270 lbs! I think people need to realize-if you can, buy the bike from walmart unassembled so YOU can lube it properly and know its put together well. I tore my bike all apart and discovered only the wheels and midsprocket was lubed.
    What irritates me is, people have been nagging me to get a more expensive bike. So Ive been doing some research. I found and like the Trek 4300. Im strongly thinking of putting one in layaway-then I read in a forum that some are saying the front forks on the 4300 are junk, and should be upgraded. The Trek 4300 runs around $450.00.
    So when does it end? Some of us cant afford or want to spend major funds on a bike.
    My thinking is, if a bike is working well for you-even if its from Walmart-why change? And if ya show some TLC to it-it will last ya.
    Im still getting the Trek tho-bad forks or not. lol

Big Gulps, Alright!
    At your height the XR250 will never fit. Bear in mind that most reviews of wal-mart bikes are by beginner riders who haven't ridden anything else. They get on the bike and like how it feels* and they write a great review. Most people that buy "mountain bikes" like the XR250 never actually take them off-road.

*I'll give them this: When wal-mart bikes are new, they don't seem like such a bad idea. They shift ok and dont feel too bad. Then after you've been riding for a while they go to hell. That 'new' feeling goes away and you're left with crap.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Referring to me?

First of all, I am NOT a beginner. Ive been mountain biking OFF ROAD since 2001. I used to do this same thing on a Honda cr250r motocross bike.I am a member of a mountain bike team here!
    The fact is, I never wanted to pour that much money into a bike. And my point is, I am finally going to get a "good" bike as recommended-but it seems even the "good" bikes have bad parts that one or two people dont like.
    So far, after a year of owning this mongoose bike, the only thing broken has been a pedal so maybe I got lucky and had a good bike. Its true, other than test riding, I havent tried any of the "better" bikes. But Im sure Ill like the Trek when I get it.
    Its seems that everyone has something bad to say, even about the good bikes!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forceofwon
    First of all, I am NOT a beginner. Ive been mountain biking OFF ROAD since 2001. I used to do this same thing on a Honda cr250r motocross bike.I am a member of a mountain bike team here!
    The fact is, I never wanted to pour that much money into a bike. And my point is, I am finally going to get a "good" bike as recommended-but it seems even the "good" bikes have bad parts that one or two people dont like.
    So far, after a year of owning this mongoose bike, the only thing broken has been a pedal so maybe I got lucky and had a good bike. Its true, other than test riding, I havent tried any of the "better" bikes. But Im sure Ill like the Trek when I get it.
    Its seems that everyone has something bad to say, even about the good bikes!
    No, I wasn't referring to you. And yes, the Trek 4300 will be a big improvement. I have one myself and it's way better than any Wal-mart bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Okay-can I ask more about the Trek 4300?

Thanx! Im dying to get the Trek 4300. They have a silver/black non disk at my fave dealer, and some black disk bikes. Would you recommend the disk over the non disk? Its a little over 100 bucks more. I dont mean to go off topic here-but you are the first person I found that owns a 4300!
    I got to test ride a Gary Fisher Pirana about a month ago. You are right-the ride of a better built bike is so much better. But the Pirana was over 800 bucks here.
    But like I said previous, if a person has to result to buying a Walmart bike, LUBE LUBE LUBE it, because they dont! And double check everything!

Grinder
    first let me point out that im 41 and have been riding off road every since i started riding bikes.
    second im a large guy. no not fat!

i bought this bike(xr250) for the frame. i knew when i bought it that everything else was sub-standard. i pulled all that other crap off excluding the head set and crank set.

the frame is great! swing arm not so great. so im redesigning that for my needs.

and yes manufacturers design their products to break at a certain point so you buy another one. if you didnt know this then im sorry, but its true. yes even your bike!

but to make it simple just replace some of the basic parts and your good to go!
    like those zoom forks they weigh more then my boxxer forks lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

~Disc~Golf~
    retarded

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Entry level

I wish I could afford the bike I WANT to have. But, I bought the Walgoose XR250 instead, because it fit in my price range, and knowing me and the way I treat my equipment when I DO get out, I wanted a frame that wouldn't snap on me. I'm only 5'10" and 145#, but I'm rough. I get out on the trails maybe a dozen times a year, the rest of the time I'm commuting to college and curb-hopping. Overall, this bike has held up reasonably well for me, after I made all my own adjustments and lube.

The first week I was riding, I broke the aluminum-encaged plastic pedal. I replaced them with block plastic pedals which I just broke last week, a year later... I was expecting things like this from Walmart bike, and planned on upgrading as the need arose, just wasn't expecting one THAT quick...

After a year of riding, my rear derailleur got bent into the spokes, pulling the rear wheel hub apart. I tried to ask a LBS about repairing, he laughed and I bought a cheapie rear wheel with QR bolt. I noticed an improvement in pedaling and handling.

About 6 months later, the front derailleur frame clamp's screw stripped. I can't tighten it to frame, so I'm stuck in high gear, which works for my commute, but I am looking for a replacement right now.

About 6 months ago, I noticed that my forks are clicking back and forth when I apply the brakes. I examined them and found the remains of a dissolving O-ring. I'm not sure where to get this. I'd love to replace the whole fork assembly, but I don't have the money for a performance part right now. Looking for recommendations on this, either the O-ring, or a beginner-level front fork that'll fit this frame?

Both of the gear-shift barrel adjusters attached to the hand mechanisms broke off on the trail. I need to replace these. Currently, Shimano SIS 7-speed and 3-speed with integrated v-brakes. The front disc brakes requires constant centering, and seems to be responding poorly since the fork O-ring disintegrated.

The rear shock is calibrated about 40% down the threads to keep contact with the spring. I'd love to find a replacement shock that will fit in there, but again the money is tight right now, so I'd settle for just a spring at this point.

I bought the bike with the reasoning that I liked the frame and price. I could upgrade components as they broke, then when I was ready to get a new frame, I'd already have a decent set of components to put on it. I didn't count on the accelerated rate of decay... Anyway, this is where I am with my bike. Overall, I'm still pretty satisfied with it, I've gotten out of it approximately what I expected when I bought it. I just wish I could get support for it, like what size o-rings I need, and where to get it. My LBS keeps encouraging me to not bother, just get a new bike, but I can't at this moment. I have been drooling over a Specialized there, but that's gonna have to wait for next tax season... In the meantime, I need to keep this thing operational... So, any suggestions?

*Contents Under Pressure
    Quote Originally Posted by nogod
    and yes manufacturers design their products to break at a certain point so you buy another one. if you didnt know this then im sorry, but its true. yes even your bike!

no. my frame has a lifetime warranty.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.