Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658

    Disc brakes on Homegrowns

    Adapting more modern disc brakes to a Homegrown with a 22mm mount has been problematic due to the little space available to work with. While A2Z makes a 22mm to IS adapter, there simply isn't enough room to mount a caliper since it'll hit the seat stay:
    http://www.amazon.com/A2Z-AD-PMR-Bra.../dp/B003QRB7F6

    Another option is the adapter which puts the mount above the seat stay, but personally I think those are ugly:
    http://www.torontocycles.com/images/P1010005_2_.JPG

    However, using the A2Z mount on a 19" hardtail frame I was able to install either a Magura Marta, Magura Louise, or Magura Louise FR caliper with plenty of room to spare. I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of room on a 17" frame as well, and possibly even a 15" frame. Even better, any of those calipers will be compatible with Shimano master cylinders / levers which are superior to Magura ones.

    I'll try and get some pictures up soon...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,849
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658
    I'm familiar, but this is lighter, simpler, cheaper, and looks better.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,849
    cool beans. i have a 15'' frame. i'll have to look into the one you are using. it would indeed suck to have to change out hubs
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658
    I'll post up pictures when I'm done. From the pictures you should be able to make a template and see if it'll work on your 15" frame.

  6. #6
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    yeah, if you can find an IS mount caliper, there is a chance it will fit with the a2z. on my 17", I was able to get an XTR caliper to work. I had to grind a good size chunk of the caliper off to make it fit around the seat stay, but it works great. I'll post some pics later.
    _____________________________________

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADBEEF View Post
    yeah, if you can find an IS mount caliper, there is a chance it will fit with the a2z. on my 17", I was able to get an XTR caliper to work. I had to grind a good size chunk of the caliper off to make it fit around the seat stay, but it works great. I'll post some pics later.
    I'd love to see that, since I'm not the biggest fan of Magura.

  8. #8
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    here are some pics of questionable quality... these calipers can be grabbed from petra cycles online for $50 each. use any shimano levers with them. also note that I went to 650B wheels. for the record, i like them.





    Last edited by DEADBEEF; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: fix photos.. for real this time
    _____________________________________

  9. #9
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    Also note that the a2z adapter adds 20mm of rotor size to what the caliper says it's for. for example, my caliper says 160mm front, 140mm rear. with this adapter, this caliper works perfectly with a 160mm rear rotor.
    _____________________________________

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,849
    looking good...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658
    Do you ever have contact between the caliper and seat stay as the frame flexes?

  12. #12
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Do you ever have contact between the caliper and seat stay as the frame flexes?
    I haven't noticed any. I have about 2mm clearance right now. There is more material i could remove if i need to. I have about 100 miles on this setup now with nothing but great things to say about it. these brakes are a huge upgrade over the old hayes stuff.
    _____________________________________

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,849
    i almost forgot! about 2 years ago i purchased the Hayes caliper that works with the brake mount on the homegrown, 4banger and what ever other frames use the odd ball style. no mounting bracket necessary! might need to rebuild it though
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,658
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADBEEF View Post
    I haven't noticed any. I have about 2mm clearance right now. There is more material i could remove if i need to. I have about 100 miles on this setup now with nothing but great things to say about it. these brakes are a huge upgrade over the old hayes stuff.
    Do you know if the oil crosses between the caliper sides on the end you ground down or the other end?

  15. #15
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    i almost forgot! about 2 years ago i purchased the Hayes caliper that works with the brake mount on the homegrown, 4banger and what ever other frames use the odd ball style. no mounting bracket necessary! might need to rebuild it though
    those are ok. I have one of those calipers for each of my homegrowns and have been using them for several years. if you get them lined up just right, they will do the job. The shimanos just feel better. nomatter what you use (adapter or 22mm caliper), if there is paint on the mounting surface, remove it before installation. as painful as it is to scrape off bass boat paint, that is the only way you will get the caliper to line up right and not drag on the rotor. at least, that has been my experience.
    _____________________________________

  16. #16
    geek
    Reputation: DEADBEEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Do you know if the oil crosses between the caliper sides on the end you ground down or the other end?
    i don't know for sure. I just decided to go for it. i would grind a little, check, grind some more, check, and so on. I never hit anything but solid aluminum. maybe I was lucky, maybe there is nothing on that side but more aluminum.
    _____________________________________

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •