C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008

Disassembling a Teocali for painting

I planned on getting my Teocali repainted (powdercoated) after the original owner did a terrible custom painting job Anyhow, it will require me to remove the rear swing-arm etc. Im afraid of not being able to put it back together or possibly damaging something. It is just simply removing the bearings using an allen wrench on all pivots?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am not sure on how to remove it but I am sure if you mess it up your LBS can put it back together so long as you don't break anything.

C.U.S.T.O.M
    Aug 2008
    I wonder if its possible to just cover up the bearings with painters tape during painting... Probably a bad idea..... Anyhow, you guys have any suggestions with what color powdercoating I should go with? I'm torn between black, white, and orange.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely without question take the bearings out. Leaving them in you'll risk both the bearings, and the paint. You normally want to mask any threads or cups which the bearings would go back into. If you don't, the paint reduce the cup size and the bearings might not fit, or you risk cross-threading.

Example - Mask the bottom bracket shell, bearing cups, headset cups, seatpost shell, etc. and any posts for brakes.

Also depending on how old they are, now might be a good time to replace the bearings.

Just put them back in the same way you took them out. Put a small layer of grease around the bearings and tighten them up.