mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Complicated transactions (UPDATE) w/pics

I have told parts of this in different threads over the last two weeks. Here is the story to date. Until this past weekend I had a 1999 Schwinn Homegrown 4 Banger All Mountain.
    I recently was also reunited with an old S-20 that I had bought new in 1998.
    I loved both bikes. The S-20 was my first nice bike. I road the crap out of it and over the years it never failed me. I jumped on the chance to buy it back. I paid a lot to get it back considering it had been stripped of all useful parts. My plan was to sell the 4 Banger to pay for the S-20 build. I thought this was a bit backwards, so I looked at all of my options. All of them included selling the 4 Banger. I just never ride it.
    I mentioned to a co-worker that I was looking to sell my 15" 4 banger and he offered $600 as long as it fit his girlfriend and she liked the bike. I was waiting to hear back from him when I saw a random add on the internet for a 1998 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension XT (Bass Boat Orange). This was my dream bike! The add was current as well! That never happens. I emailed the guy about the add. He wanted $600 for it, but it had to be cash only and local pick up only. he also said that he was going to sell it to first person that showed up with cash. This was an issue. I live in Maryland and the bike was in Denver CO. It just so happens that I have a 2nd or 3rd cousin in the Denver area. I looked him up on Facebook and sent him the story, asking him for help. He said that he would help.
    I still had to sell my 4 Banger. I called up my friend and asked him if I could bring the bike down to him and see if his girlfriend wanted it. I drove the bike down to Richmond VA late Saturday afternoon. She test road the bike and bought it on the spot! I drove back home and got in at midnight. I had emailed my cousin and asked him how I should send him the cash? He informed me that he was visiting his parents in Gettysburg PA and that I could drop it off if I could get there by 7am Sunday. He was flying back to Denver in the morning. I took a nap and got up at 5am to drive up to Gettysburg. I pulled in at 6:56am gave him the cash, said hello/ goodbye and thank you.
    It is now Tuesday and I got a text from him saying that he picked up the bike at 7:30am and that it is as advertized and in great shape. He will be shipping it to me later this week. I called him to thank him once again. I cant wait! It has been a crazy few days, but it should be worth it.
    Last edited by ducrider45; 06-17-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: UPDATE

CTB
    mtbr member
    That is quite a convoluted, fortuitous-timing story! In the end, it sounds like you got what you were looking for, though. Gotta like when it comes together.

In case it isn't clear, pics when you get the 1998 BBO frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    oh yes, Iím aware of the "new bike" picture rules.
    It is as if it were meant to be. I had to buy it! My wife did not understand the obsession or the frantic timing of it all, She supported me during the process though. She even helped plan the trip to Richmond. She is sick of hearing about this bike though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Story made my head hurt.

However, I am quite excited by the new addition to the stable, and the serendipitous way things came together; the bike wants you to have it. I'm also looking forward to you trying the S-20 as a single speed. Suggestion? Build the S-20 up first, and if you hate it, use parts off it to build up the Homegrown.

What shock does the Homegrown have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It has some form of the RS Delux coil over on it. Looks as if it has damping adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The bike is on the way! It was shipped on Sat. The bike is on the way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am glad it worked out for you,don't forget the pictures when you have it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yes, I will post the pics as soon as I get it. I will be working on the bike and updating it as well. I have a few parts waiting and I need to find a few others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In your long story, you forgot about that one time at band camp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    In your long story, you forgot about that one time at band camp.
    One time in MTB Camp I stuck a....... in her....... and she.......

That would make a great Mad-lib.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It came today! Only one problem. It is not a 17" It is 19". I was very clear to both the seller and my cousin about the measurments. I may have to sell it. Im not sure if I can get past the stand over hight. I have a 29.75" inseam and the bike is listed at 29.8" standover height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here are some pics:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The geometry of the 19" works for me but im 5'-6" and the standover height seems to be an issue. I took some measurements and some pics. It is the same length as my 12" hardtail.

As you can see there is a large differance in the stand over height. I think that I will have to sell it. Im not sure yet.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Damn that thing is sweet! It looks uber mint! For some reason, standover never really gets me (I have a 30-ish inseam on a tall day), but top tube length does. That's what bugged me about my 19" 4B. Are you sure you can't make this one work? Man, that's a nice example.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    the top tube length is perfect if I use a 45mm stem. Im going to set it up the best I can and then see if it will work. The 15" S-20 frame has great standover height but the top tube is too short. The HG sweet spot runs a bit small compaired to the S-XX. My wife has a 18" GT and it is larger than this HG. She wants me to keep it for a while.
    Ill set it up and ride it a bit. Im going to keep my eyes open for a 17" though. Its a big frame for me. I pu a dowl in the pivot to match up the 19" with the 15".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just ordered a 35mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In my opinion anything below a 50mm stem is too short for XC, and even 50mm is really pushing it. It just takes too much weight off the front wheel and makes climbing difficult and tight turns sketchy. If you need to go that short to make it work, I'd say suck it up and start looking for a 17".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    In my opinion anything below a 50mm stem is too short for XC, and even 50mm is really pushing it. It just takes too much weight off the front wheel and makes climbing difficult and tight turns sketchy. If you need to go that short to make it work, I'd say suck it up and start looking for a 17".
    I agree.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm 100% in agreement as well. I had a 90mm stem on the 19" Banger, and that was too much rear weight bias. I kept washing out the front. I slapped on a 110 and it helped, but now that I'm on a 17" with the same 110 stem, the cornering confidence is much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a 70mm stem on the bike now. Ill keep the 35mm for some other project. I have a seatpost without an offset. We will see if this works. Im also putting 170mm crank arms on and removing the 175's. I just spent $100 on new cables and housing for both projects. Ill work on both of them tonight. Ill update the build here. Look for new pics soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    IT WORKS! I can ride the bike! I was able to set it up. Im going to keep it for now. I have plans to upgrade it, but for now I will ride it as is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    UPDATE!!!! Badmechanic pointed me in the direction of a 17" frame. I found a buyer for the 19" and was able to sell it for what I bought it for. I bought the 17" set up as a single speed. It is not as nice as the 19" but it fits much better. Here are a few pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had a bunch of work done! I tured the bike over to Bad Mechanic and he worked his HG SS majic. The total weight came in at 24Lbs. Here is the completed project.