mtbr member
    Jun 2007

clamp size for schwinn homegrown

hey guys/gals, anyone know what size clamp to use on the 2000-2001 ano inc homegrown?
    I know the seatpost is 26.8...
    Funny how on light-bikes.net, some of the posters say they use a 27.2, is that possible?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    cant seem to get any love for our homegrowns... i'll measure mine and let you know, or bring her to a shop and do a fit test thingy.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    resurrecting the thread.
    Any info on the seat clamp size of a 2001 schwinn homegrown?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think I was using a 31.8 bolt on clamp on my last 2001 homegrown, but i dont recall the seat post size.

On my current 2001 homegrown I am running a 32.0 quick release clamp with a 27.0 Ringle Moby seat post (which is a snug fit before clamped). For some reason all my 26.8 posts were tad bit too loose even with a 31.8 bolt-on clamp at full clamp. No matter how tight I went, the seat post would still pivot.

My freind has a 20001 homegrown with a 27.2 race face XO seat post in it and 31.8 bolt on clamp. His seat post seems to fit perfectly before its clamped, unlike mine which I have to almost force in with lots of lube, yet its 0.2mm smaller... yet his post fits perfectly in my bike...

I been searching every where for someone with the proper specs on the seat post and clamp.

all my older homegrowns(pre-99) use 26.8 seat posts and 31.8 clamps.
    I have some documentation that says the 2001 have a 26.8 size seat post.

pretty much jsut take your bike to your local LBS and have them measure the seat tube for proper post size, then have it measured and test fitted with known size clamps with the properseat post in the seat tube...

But you should probably start with 26.8 post and 31.8 clamp, 32.0 clamp seems tad bit too big for a 26.8 post on thesee frames.

Once you find a winning combination, come back here and post your numbers....

Hope this helps and does not cofuse you more....
    97 BBG HomeGrown SweetSpot.
    99 BBB HomeGrown SweetSpot. 25.8lbs.
    01 Gold HomeGrown N'Litening. 19.6lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Reebert,

Seat post = 26.8
    Seat post clamp/f. der. = 31.8

I just went downstairs and tried a 27.2 in all three home grown frames and it would be a tight, and soon to be stuck, fit. You would really need to lube it up and work it (this sounds so wrong) to get it to fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

thanks

So i tried a 27.2, didn't work.
    26.8 is perfect.

as far as clamp, tried a salsa 32, too lose.
    Tried a hope 31.8, the clamp when put on without tightening is loose, but can be tightened to where the post doesn't slip.
    Is it possible to tighten it too much and hurt a carbon seat tube?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Just got a Hope 31.8. Sits real loose when not clamped...thought it wasn't going to work. Actually it clamps really tight..

Pretty close...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

perfect fit!!!

Salsa lip lock 30.6
    Attached Images Attached Images