mtbr member

Calling all Black Diamond experts!!!

Please help me choose between the 08 Mongoose Black Diamond double and the 06 triple.Some words about me, I am 220lbs 5'10" like long walks on the beach and peanut butter sandwiches.....but thats enough about me. Pick my next bike! Please

Spreadin the love...
    08 Double. No questions about it. Better dropout setup, better shock, stronger frame. Also...I don't THINK the 06s came with a 1.5" headtube. Has nothing to do with strength...it has to do with a zerostack headset, which allows you to drop that bar height down a solid inch. That's GOOD!

mtbr member
    thanx thrillseeker, for taking time away from the monkey show to help me out. I could not wait any longer an pulled the trigger on the 06. I wanted the 08 (looks so sweet) but I wanted two front rings and was not sure how to mount the front D to the goose without a hassle. I read every post regarding BD's and the 06 will serve me well for now. The 06 will be shipped to my door for $1624.99 and that will give me some extra scratch to buy.....You are correct the 06's don't have 1.5" ht so no zero stack, but all the components on the 06 were rated very well in the review section so..... no extra parts + no wrenching + a good deal = 06 for me.

Spreadin the love...
    Well, it's kinda like comparing apples to 1 day fresher apples, I really don't think you can or will go wrong with the 06! And I actually like the looks of the original style frame better! The newer ones look a little too much like something from Walmart with that extra tube in the middle. Be sure to post pics up, k?

mtbr member
    I think you'll be very happy with the '06, let us know what you think once you get it!

Spreadin the love...
    He should have it by now, hell, he should have had time to try and break it by now!

mtbr member
    Good point, where is the follow-up post?

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I finally got my new goose!

I decided to buy the 06 from Harbor country & Hobby but after I sent the payment they told me they were out of stock but would be sending out the 08 in its place ( no extra charge ) This whole time wile watching the tracking progress I really didn't know if my bike was going to be blue or silver, and honestly didn't care either way. I am totally stoked with the 08 but I will need to add a granny to it. I hope that will go well. Just arrived today so no pics yet, but soon. I got to get it dialed in too. I am no light weight (big boned) about 225lbs. I am curious if the stock spring is going to be enough.

Spreadin the love...
    Pics or a poke in the eye. It's your call, but I'd hurry up!
    Where you located anyway?

And you MIGHT be OK on the spring. The Goose has a near 2:1 ratio, so like while I was on 450-500 springs on my other bikes, I'm on a 300 pounder now. SOOOO much easier to tune the shock! Whaddaya know...those clicks actually do something!
    When you decide to upgrade the rear shock, keep this in mind: the rear shock of a common Special..ed SX Trail pops right in there and the low PSI in the shock is perfect. I even called Push about it before I bought it to see what they thought and they told me to jump all over it and expect good things. Make sure it's the DHX 5.0 without the air valve.

Spreadin the love...
    Oh, and it should be gold, no?

mtbr member
    No, I got the 08 triple so it is silver or "natural" with a crapload of clear coat. Winters are long in CT so that might change some day. Pics will come soon,put the stick down.

Spreadin the love...
    Oh man, so you got an 08 TRIPLE for the price of an 06??? You officially SUCK. I'm gonna start a You Suck club, and you are the President and the only member!
    Nice score dude. And I'm in South Dakota. It's 4 degrees right now with a COLD front moving in! So yeah, I hear ya. And I did the same, stripped and polished mine in the basement! Gonna teach myself to airbrush here in a week...

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Yes I got the 08 triple for $1,625.00 delivered to my door. I really like the way this bike looks and it feels nicely balanced so far. I made a few mad sprints down the road and it peddles good for this much suspension. I am leaving it all stock for a wile but will be adding a ring ,derailleur and shifter.

Frame: FreeDrive FR 6.7/7.5" (170/190 mm) travel 150x12 mm Maxle Dropouts
    Fork: Marzocchi RC3, 180 mm travel one side coil/one side air spring, RC2 rebound and compression adjust, 20 mm tool free axle, 38 mm legs
    Rear Shock: Marzocchi Roco TST R, coil over with 5 position compression, rebound adjust and piggy back reservoir. (9.0x2.75")
    Crankset: FSA Gravity, hollow forged arms, 36T w/ bash guard
    Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo external bearing
    Pedals: Funn Soljam Viper, sealed bearing alloy platform w/ replaceable steel pins
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 mid cage
    Shifters: SRAM X.9 Impulse trigger shifters, w/ Matchmaker Juicy shifter/brake mount
    Freewheel: SRAM PG-990 11-34T 9 speed
    Chain: KMC Z-9900 silver
    Rims: WTB Laser Disc FR, 32H
    Tires: Kenda 26x2.5 Nevegal FR, Stick-E rubber & pinch flat protection
    Front Hub: WTB Laser Disc Super Duty 20 mm thru axle, 32H
    Rear Hub: WTB Laser Disc Super Dutry 150x12 mm thru axle, cassette
    Spokes: WTB stainless steel
    Nipples: brass UCP
    Front Brake: Formula K24 hydraulic disc, 203 mm rotor
    Rear Brake: Formula K24 hydraulic disc, 203 mm rotor
    Brake Levers: Formula K24 hydraulic disc
    Handlebar: Funn Fatboy, triple butted 7075AL,30 mm rise, 31.8 mm
    Stem: Funn Rippa 45 mm, 10
    Grips: Mongoose Half-Flange M-logo Lock On grip
    Headset: FSA Orbit Z 1.5" to 1-1/8" conversion, internal angular contact bearing
    Saddle: SDG Bel Air Super Tough
    Seat Post: Titec KnockScoper I-Beam telescoping post
    Seat Clamp: Alloy Q/R
    Extras: MRP System 3 chain guide system, Rock Shox Rear Maxlemongoose one.jpg

mongoose four.jpg

mongoose three.jpg

mongoose five.jpg

Spreadin the love...
    A few things...
    First off you suck. Seriously, you really do. I'm not even sure I like you very much right now.
    2nd, TAKE THE DAMN REFLECTORS OFF or you still get a poke in the eye!
    3rd, you really don't "sound" as stoked about this deal as you should be! Seriously, I would have started a whole new post about how fuggin sweet Mongoose is! Or is it the shop that gets the credit? Either way, someone needs some damn props! I'd post this story up on Ridemonkey in the DH forum, might change a few minds about Mongoose!
    4th, I call DIBS on those grips! WTF? I want some! So totally not fair!
    Nice ride man! And congrats on the sickest deal of the century!

Spreadin the love...
    Also, note all the good points you gained in this? 1.5" headtube with the zerostack headset, which prob gave you an inch less bar height, all said and done. You got the one piece rear swingarm, versus the removeable(and prob SPENDY) dropouts like mine has, and you got the upgraded pivot bolts. You're set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epoxy_1
    Please help me choose between the 08 Mongoose Black Diamond double and the 06 triple.Some words about me, I am 220lbs 5'10" like long walks on the beach and peanut butter sandwiches.....but thats enough about me. Pick my next bike! Please
    what about 07? didn't they make these in 07?

Spreadin the love...
    Yeah, but they got uber popular at end of 07, so they're all long gone. So they have the left over 06s and whatever's left of the 08s already. Goose is HOT right now!
    And I'm sellin my much updated 07 BD3, if anyone's interested! Frame only, preferred...
    SPAM!