Thread: Blackcomb?

Trek up your life

Blackcomb?

I am an everyday rider, I ride light trails and roads most the time. I have an old bike that is starting to fall apart on me and I am done replacing parts, the reason for this is because it is not worth the money nor the effort.
    One of friends that I ride with most of the time rides a Blackcomb Mongoose. It looks really nice and he says he has had no problems with it. I was wondering if this bike is worth spending 280$ on. My budget is 300 bucks, I am selling my Xbox 360 to get this money because I'd rather be outside tearing up the trails and riding throughout town than playing pointless games =P. Is this blackcomb good or should i buy something else?

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    I own a Blackcomb. People here like to dogg on them because there Department store bought bikes. I like mine, I've done some upgrades to it, but out of the box it isn't a bad bike in my oppinion. If you want to know more about it PM me or e-mail me.

mtbr member
    breTTo4, have you made a decision yet?

The blackcomb mongoose is probably the best of the worst. It steps into the level of some name brand components, but they are the lowest of low end. It is heavy, and doesn't appear to have very much rear travel so the perceived advantage of having FS is likely negated by the inefficiency, weight, and limited travel on this one.

I made the mistake of going this route for my very first bike when my wife & I just intended on riding around the neighborhood. I bought the XR-285 or something like that. ~$180 at wal mart. It literally fell apart; Wheels out of true from rolling off of curbs, rear deraulleur fell off, the seat broke in half....all within a couple of months. I doubt the Blackcomb would've been any better. I learned a valuable lesson.

For my next bike, I picked up a Fuji Nevada hardtail for ~350 from the LBS. I have ridden this one for over a year with just basic maintenance. The difference in feel is amazing, and the difference in quality is apparent even on this relatively low-end hardtail. On the trail, I would take the entry level hardtail over the cheap mongoose one 100% of the time. IMO, if the issues I experienced with my Mongoose are representative of what one should expect from the brand's low end offerings, these bikes are a serious safety hazard.

Any bike that you can ride, have fun on, and be safe is a good bike for you, and if it gets you into the sport we're not going to diss it at all. But, I would have serious concerns about the quality and safety of this bike.

An reputable entry level/used hardtail will serve you better. Once your skills and funds accumulate, spring for an adequate FS bike.

Best of luck to you....

Trek up your life
    Thanks for caring enough to ask if I made a decision.

I actually did make a decision actually. I have been riding walmart bikes my whole life and like you said they do just fall apart on you. I put way too much time and effort in my ol Harley Davidson Bike. Back then though I really didn't think I was into biking enough to spend a whole bunch of money. My love for biking has rose immensely. I ride everyday even in the coldness we are going through right now in my area. So i made the decision to go to the LBS. I went and bought a Trek 3700. Wow Wee this thing is so much of a difference. It is unbelievably better than past bikes I have owned. I have had it for about 6 days now. I have ridden it everyday just to test it and so far not one problem. On Sunday I even went on a 32 mile ride through everything you can think of. First it was snowy, then it got warmer and rained, and closer to the end of the day it was sunny not a cloud in the sky and 65 degrees out. We road through the woods and even the roads. It was such a great day. One of my friends that is my best bud, went with us that day. He owns a blackcomb. Lately he has been having problems with it, such as the front brakes rubbing, the derialuers not functioning properly and such. He had fun on Sunday but not as much as me, with my nice new Trek. He now regrets buying the blackcomb and I'm thankful I didn't buy one as well. To make a long story short I love my new Trek.

PS: Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share my story.

mtbr member
    Congratulations. You made a much better choice than the dept. store bike. Have fun!