Are the mongoose blackcombs any good?
    Good for what?
    Riding on sidewalks? Sure
    Riding around your yard? Sure
    Riding a gravel path? Sure
    Riding anything else? No

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wow i just got started about a month ago and tryin to get into the sport im 13 and tight on money so lighten up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a mongoose status that people called a toy, I have been trail riding, jumping and having a great time with it. Looks great works great, and no problems I love it. Some people cant stand the fact that some cheaper bikes are decent enough for people on a budget to trail ride with.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by j4fun1
    wow i just got started about a month ago and tryin to get into the sport im 13 and tight on money so lighten up
    You asked for an opinion and you got one. Your age and financial status don't factor into my opinion. Would you rather I lie to you and say it's a great bike that'll shred any trail?
    That bike sells for $300 @ Wallyworld.
    MSRP on a Trek 3700 is $379. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...3_series/3700/
    At a bike shop you could probably get something similar clearance or leftover for close to $300. The bike shop will fit you to the bike, and usually provide 1yr adjustments. You don't get that at Wallyworld.

You may think the full suspension mongoose looks cool. But it doesn't.

mtbr member
    the main thing i would worry about is component quality, i would worry about thrashing things and when they break and im stuck with repairs...but for 70 more bucks i could have had a trek or something else with a better wheelset, drivetrain and fork...

im not bashing on mongoose at all i ride an 07 mongoose ritual there is just a seperation on the quality builds and the wally world builds

mtbr member
    A friend of mine has one. It's pretty heavy and I can bottom out the suspension preloading for a bunny-hop. The components on the Trek 3700 are all equal or better. The disk brakes are not worth it at all. The Trek's v-brakes are much better. We've put on a new fork and tires and are in the process of redesigning the rear suspension with new rocker arms and a new shock. By the time we're finished, it should be okay for freeride that we wouldn't try with the XC bikes. For your money, you'll be a lot happier with a better quality hardtail.