Thread: bent pivot bolt

{Believeland}

bent pivot bolt

so after one of my recent trail rides i found that there was a creaking coming from the frame when i torqued down on the cranks and changed directions quickly. I had recently replaced the bb pivot bearings with enduromax bearings and had it tightened accordingly at a local shop.

Myself and my friend who is also a tech decided to go through all the possibilities ourselves. We started with the crankset, then bottom bracket, headset, and bottom bracket pivots (cleaning, regreasing, and tightening along the way). It wasn't until we reached the main pivots that seemed to find anything. After loosing the the lower of the two main pivot bolts (making sure it wasnt over tightened) did we find the creak lessened. Curious if it just needed cleaning, we decided to remove the bolt and regrease. Thats when we found that the pivot itself was actually bent

I attempted calling the number on the bottom of the frame but because i am not "a certified dealer" they refused to help. So instead i took it back to the shop and they sent mongoose an email? which they seem to be terrible at responding to... im not terribly confident in my shop or mongoose with this. Should i look into replacing the bolt with something from a hardware store or just wait it out? I am looking to sell the bike asap after it is fixed and am unsure if a different bolt will lower its resale value. thanks for the help! it sucks being bikeless....
    ride fast.... live slow

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by XCkiller View Post
    so after one of my recent trail rides i found that there was a creaking coming from the frame when i torqued down on the cranks and changed directions quickly. I had recently replaced the bb pivot bearings with enduromax bearings and had it tightened accordingly at a local shop.

Myself and my friend who is also a tech decided to go through all the possibilities ourselves. We started with the crankset, then bottom bracket, headset, and bottom bracket pivots (cleaning, regreasing, and tightening along the way). It wasn't until we reached the main pivots that seemed to find anything. After loosing the the lower of the two main pivot bolts (making sure it wasnt over tightened) did we find the creak lessened. Curious if it just needed cleaning, we decided to remove the bolt and regrease. Thats when we found that the pivot itself was actually bent

I attempted calling the number on the bottom of the frame but because i am not "a certified dealer" they refused to help. So instead i took it back to the shop and they sent mongoose an email? which they seem to be terrible at responding to... im not terribly confident in my shop or mongoose with this. Should i look into replacing the bolt with something from a hardware store or just wait it out? I am looking to sell the bike asap after it is fixed and am unsure if a different bolt will lower its resale value. thanks for the help! it sucks being bikeless....

I replaced a pivot bolt on my jamis with a grade 8 bolt from a hardware store and all is fine. I was going to order one, but it was 50 bucks and I got the bolt from the hardware store for 4 bucks.

{Believeland}
    good deal, ill see if mongoose is willing to replace it for free first.... fifty dollars is ridiculous! and if not, then to the hardware store it go.
    ride fast.... live slow

What?
    any luck on getting the bolt from mongoose?

{Believeland}
    they actually responded pretty quickly to the shop and the bolt will be coming in this week i suppose. way to go mongoose and performance! haven't let me down yet!
    ride fast.... live slow

What?
    Thats awesome