CTB
    mtbr member

The Banger and I are famous!

Ok, not really, but here I am in action last fall on my Banger.

http://thunderdrome.com/

That's me on the far right, going for broke in the downhill section of the course. Another event in 3 weeks!

Here's the pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Banger and I are famous!-me-.jpg  

smell my finger
    Wow, timely post, I just finished reading about Thunderdome in the latest issue of Bicycling . Seems like a cool scene, is the neighborhood as scetchey as make it out to be?

CTB
    mtbr member
    ThunderdRome (note the "r") was a riot. It was one of those things that we thought could only happen *because* Detroit is so neglected, etc. - no one's watching things so closely that you can't sometimes have some fun. As for the neighborhood, that Bicycling article was a colossal piece of crap and is why I hated that magazine when I got it "free" with my membership to Performance Bikes. Talk about blowing things out of proportion... Yeah, it's not a good neighborhood over there, but it's not like you're going to die just by going to the 'drome on a sunny Sunday. Reading through the comments, as always, just sapped even more of what little faith I have left in people. The organizer of Thunderdrome made a comment, and his was one of the few worth reading.

smell my finger
    Yeah, got Bicycling free with a subscription to Mountain Bike mag my sister got me as a gift. Crappy thing is I never got my Mountain Bike mag (apparently a screw-up somewhere). A friend of mine used to write for Mountain Bike and Bicycling and the mag is published locally (Emmaus, Pa). I guess print is truelly dead! Nice to hear an island of peace can exist in an urban jungle.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Dirt Rag is out of PA. I got a free issue at ThunderDrome (see the tie-in? ) last year and liked reading about them riding at Seven Springs, etc. I'm considering a subscription on that one to feed my downhill lust.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Cool picture.

Nice jersey too!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks! That was the first time I ever wore that jersey, hoping it might attract some photo attention. The course was pretty darn hard for someone who can't climb. Four laps, and at least 1/3 of the lap was climbing up a grass-covered soapbox derby hill. Allso, cranking around the 'drome on mtn tires and a mtn bike takes its toll. Most of the riders kicked my butt on that section, but I blew by at least 6 people by going banzai on the downhill portion. It was gnarly, but no more gnarly than stuff I routinely bomb. They were all coasting down the hill, while I was pedaling for all I was worth down that thing, reveling in my sweet Lawwill suspension travel.