CTB
    mtbr member

Anyone have a Schwinn Sweetspot Carbon crack?

I was just cleaning my Homegrown Carbon Sweetspot and have found what I think are two cracks in the carbon frame.

Has anyone ever had one of these frames crack? Mine appears to be cracking near the head tube area, on the bottom, right where the cable bosses are. I have a "spare" frame, but I'm still kinda sad that this might be the end of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CTB; 04-22-2009 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Do you happen to have a double crown fork on it? If you do that could be putting too much stress on the head tube area.

Ken

CTB
    mtbr member
    Nope, I have a 100mm SID from 1999 on it, which is a fork Schwinn sold the bike with in All Mountain form, IIRC. They might have even put a double crown on it - I know some of the All Mountain ones had DC's on them.

I haven't yet been able to determine if the frame is really cracking, or if it is just the cable stay splitting from the rest of the frame. If Schwinn attached the cable stays later (certainly possible given the manufacturing techniques you'd use to make a carbon front triangle like this), perhaps I'm just losing the cable stay. Which would be a much smaller deal than losing the frame. Time will tell...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My friend has a Homegrown Sweet Spot carbon frame which has "cracks" which look like yours, and they turned out to be nothing but the paint cracking on top of the carbon. It sounds weird, but the carbon is pliable enough that it will flex underneath the paint.

I'm not too worried about the carbon front ends after seeing what he's put his through. He's 220 pounds, and has take it downhill and urban (a lot) aside from the standard cross country.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks, Bad Mechanic! I couldn't tell on mine how deep these cracks go, but I'm way lighter than 220, so hopefully these are just paint cracks, too. This gives me more confidence to take it out sometime and try it to see if the cracks progress any.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're worried, use a new razor blade to chip the paint right on top of the crack and inspect the material underneath for any fractures. If you're good, you can just touch it back up with a bit of white paint.