rollin
    Oct 2009

Any Mesa owners out there?

I still rock the 2000 GSX and everytime I ride singletrack, bless its heart, the Schwinn delivers a big smile to my face. Even better are the times spent passing the Fuel's and Scalpel's of the world on my "outdated" hardtail. At this point however, parts are fading quickly. Has anybody done a build up on this frame? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    all modern day parts will will transfer over to the near10 year old "out dated " frame. both my homegrown and straight8 are testament to that. in my opinion, not much has changed in 10 years other then 1.5 headsets over 1.1/8th, suspension/hydro brake technology. only hard part is the derailleur hanger... http://www.derailleurhanger.com/
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

rollin
    Oct 2009
    Love the old Schwinn frames, quality built and tough. Brings tears to the eyes when I see one roll out of Wal-Mart with "Don't ride this on anything but pavement" warning sticker

Crazy about Homegrowns
    I've got an older Mesa I bought for my wife. It's a 98 Mesa, old Cro-Mo frame too. Lousy RST shock in front. Shimano Altus gear, grip shifts, all that. She's not a fan of mtn biking, so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

rollin
    Oct 2009

Ironic

So friday I was reading posts debating on bar ends. Plenty of back and forth with believers of them (I'm in that catagory) and the haters (valid points too). Long story short, this weekend I head out to the trail to put in around 14-16 miles. As I am blasting up hills I think bar ends are great, help give extra leverage and added hand positions over long rides/ascents. As I roll down the back side of said hill, trail turns extremely tight and twisty through small (baseball bat diameter) trees and loose leaf pack. The Schwinn gets away from me and I end up hooking one of the trees Banged up two fingers and a shoulder but walked away with only that and a bent brake lever. The first thing I did when I got home was take the ends off....it only takes one time to make me a believer!

As a side note, the second loop earned a broken rear rim (remember old cartoon where big stick goes into bike wheel and person flips comically?...doesnt happen that way in real life!)

Keep Ridin...