CTB
    mtbr member

Any Banger riders using Brake Therapy floating brake?

I thought I'd dredge up an old subject with this. I did a Demo Day this past weekend where I got to ride a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 and a Fuel EX 9.9, both of which had the ABP. It was impressive when braking on rough stuff, pointing out a shortcoming of my Banger I never knew I had. (Otherwise, I thought my Banger was as good as the three expensive bikes I rode that day for my style, shy of the tank-like weight it has.)

Anyone try the Therapy floater on theirs? It's expensive, but I'm curious about it now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dude, I feel like I'm stalking you replying to all your posts.

Anyway, this isn't super relevant to your question, but the Schwinn racing team back in, I think, 2000 ran a floating rear brake on their 4 Banger dual slalom bikes. It was an adaptation of the Straight 8's floating caliper and for the connection point it simply clamped to the chainstay. This to say there was a definite performance advantage to it.

I had pictures of it, but haven't been able to find them yet...
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 05-20-2009 at 07:04 AM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hey, don't worry about the stalking thing. We're all here because of common interests, and I have the time to make a lot of posts, so there you go.

I'm still trying to figure out how a floating caliper that pins to the swingarm/chainstay isolates the forces. The ones that clamp to the frame make sense, but the CS ones seem to keep the forces in the suspension range. Wish I had more computer modeling capability. The Kona demo I found in another thread here at MTBR is pretty interesting.

http://www.konaworld.com/dope.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The key part of a floating caliper is that it rotate around the axle, not that that torque arm be connected outside the suspension. A modern example would be the current crop of Trek bikes; their rear brake is floating, even though it's connected to the seat stay. If you look at the design of the Straight 6/8 and their floating rear brake, it did the same thing:

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    At one time I understood the difference between sending brake forces to the chainstay v. the frame but that was long ago.

I ran the Brake Therapy floating brake kit on my 4 Banger and liked it. The 4 Banger is for sale and so is the floating brake kit.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=38574

http://shop.ebay.com/artnshel/m.html...1&_from=&_ipg=
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why are you getting rid of the 4 Banger?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I went to 29" wheels.

I think it has been 3 years since I had the 4 Banger built up but just haven't gotten around to selling it.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really need to try 29" wheels at some point.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'd like to try a 29er, but so far nothing has really caught my eye in the 4" FS area for those. I've heard all the "29er is worth X amount of suspension," but I still want a full squish, even with a 29er. Some nice ones are sprouting up (GFisher Rumblefish, etc.).

Anyway...thanks for the heads-up on the Therapy kit!

mtbr member
    i would have bid on the 4banger but 19'' is to big. hopefully i''ll be able to take the 17'' 88 home!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Been thread digging again. I'm seriously considering the BT mount for mine (as I will need to make a new mount for it anyways be be able to run Avid brakes)
    Cost quoted from 2btherapy.com is $308usd for the mount incl a Hope Pro 2 rear axle coversion, and shipping to Aus. Sound reasonable?

There's a good demo of how they work, and how the braking forces are distributed on their website.

CTB
    mtbr member
    With shipping to Oz, that sounds quite reasonable! They quoted me US$295 when I e-mailed them, plus US shipping. I see they have a new website and have combined with another company.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Anyway, this isn't super relevant to your question, but the Schwinn racing team back in, I think, 2000 ran a floating rear brake on their 4 Banger dual slalom bikes...I had pictures of it, but haven't been able to find them yet...
    I found the pictures!!!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Cool! Wish I could fab something up for mine, though that would add weight to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I found the pictures!!!
    Nice photo's!
    I cant see how that mount would give much of an improvement in braking though. Like the Straight 6/8, the mount is fixed to the swimgarm quite close to the axle. So it doesnt get the same range of motion that it would if it was fixed to the front triangle.
    I've owned/raced Straight 8's since 2001 and I can be honest in saying that the rear braking effects on the suspension were not really improved all that much over a non floating mount compared with some of the floating mounts that were mounted to the front triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've raced a 4 Banger, a 4 Banger upgraded to 6" of travel, a Schwinn Straight 6 (pull shock), a Yeti DH8, and I own a Straight 6 (push shock). I've also ridden a Tomac 204 quick a bit. The non-floating brake equipped one's suspension definitely like to extend while braking, while the two floaters are much more neutral under braking. I think the floater works because it's redirecting the direction the brake force is fed into the system. Here is a good thread with a great explanation from the owner of Brake Therapy of why the floating brake helps eliminate brake jack::
    Floating brakes on Lawwill or Lawwill-esque designs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks BM, as a very interesting read untill Red and others took it off-topic with their BS...