Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

4Banger Owners - Shock mount idea for modern air shocks! Experiment is GO!

As discussed in my other thread, I have an idea to make up some new shock mounts for the 4-Banger to accomodate modern air shocks with different eye-to-eye and stroke length, therefore making it easier to customise your BB height, head angle and travel of your 4-Banger, as well as run a modern shck with more tuning options available.

First, I gotta buy one (looking at one this weekend)

So yeah, if you had the choice of any air shock, what would it be? and why?

And would you be looking to increase the travel to 5 or 6 inches for eg?
    Last edited by Bellsy; 11-15-2009 at 02:48 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I may as well weigh in here as well.

Fox RP23. Not because I want the pedalling platform (I'd turn it off), but just because it is modern and I like the feel of Fox dampers. I have a 2004 Float RL on my bike now, I never use the lockout, and it has permanent Pro-Pedal, which I don't need for my style.

I'm running my bike at 4.7" travel now, and that's quite good for where I live. I'd possibly go to the full 5" if I could, but I don't need 6" for trail riding where I live.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's what I was thinking.
    Found this while eBaying that prove's my concept.

Providing the stroke length was similar, we should be able to install any shock we like.

Fox shock with remote 'brain' inertia valve anyone?? ;-)

CTB
    mtbr member
    Very interesting, Bellsy. That's what I had envisioned in my head, but I was never sure it would actually work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well... I now own a 4Banger (pics and details to come tomorrow in a separate thread) and I just bought a 38mm stroke Rockshox Monarch 4.2 from CRC so the experiment is go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellsy
    Providing the stroke length was similar, we should be able to install any shock we like.
    Yes, very much yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellsy
    Fox shock with remote 'brain' inertia valve anyone?? ;-)
    Very much no.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Very much no.
    So I'm not the only one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    So I'm not the only one.
    Have you guys ridden them? I've had 2 Speshy Epic's now both with the inertia valves. Loved them! Pedal amazingly well. They feel alot like a hardtail to ride, just without the harshness over the med-large bumps. I only have good things to say about the system. especially for XC and endurance racing.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I had a couple rides on them at this year's 2009 bike demo in my area, though in fairness I didn't have time to really dial them in. I vastly preferred the ride of my 4-Banger. Any suspension bike will avert the harshness over med-large bumps; I care about the small stuff being erased, which is a large part of why I have a suspension on my bike. Spec makes good bikes, I'm just not sure their philosophy suits an in-the-sadlle, non-racer such as myself. I do agree it makes great sense if you're a racer. I wish I had one to test for a week or so to try and dial it in better.

In case you think I'm overly biased to the 4B, note that I loved the Trek Fuel EX9.9 I rode that same day. Similar feel to the 4B with a lot less weight. Likely the bike I'll choose if I move to something other than the 4B.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Specialized Epic makes sense if you're a serious XC racer and every second counts. I am not, therefore, when I'm riding my full suspension bike, I want it to feel like I'm riding my full suspension bike. When I want the hardtail feeling, I ride my hardtail (which is what I'm usually on). Honestly, medium to big sized hits on my hardtail is not a problem, it's the small stuff which beats me up.

I see why certain people love the inertia valve concept, but when I've tried them, it's left me completely cold. To me, it's almost the worst of both worlds; I don't get the plush ride of my FS, but I still have the complications and weight of it.

There are enough fully active full suspension systems around which pedal really well (DW Link) without needing to resort to things like inertial valves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bump...did this ever work out?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm also interested if this advanced any further.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Very close to having it finished. My brother made the prototype and some of the hole centers were slightly out so I have to modify it slightly but it looks like working.
    Once I get it on and working well, he'll machine up a new one to suit and shave some weight off the design.
    Proto should be mounted and running within a week or 2. I just gotta get off my a$$ and onto the lathe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bellsy, are you on bonustomato with that beautiful blue/grey 4banger?

Do you know the specs on the factory shock?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sandwich, which factory shock, and what do you want to know? The Super Deluxe shock had the adjustable trunnion, and mine had a max length of about 128 mm eye-to-trunnion. The SID air shock used on my 2000 had a fixed lenth of 140mm eye-to-eye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's the stroke? Varying threads have suggested 1.5 to 2.0". I'm looking for factory-spec 4banger travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep, the Blue/Silver 4B is mine. I bought a 38mm stroke Rockshox Monarch 4.2 which was very close to the stroke length of the old Spuer Deluxe coil shock.
    The eye-to-eye is different though, and there's no trunion mount. Hense the new shock mount.
    I have a 24hour race next weekend so I should have the prototype all finished by then. Its looks ugly as sin, but once we perfect it, I'll have a new one made that'll look alot nicer.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Factory 4-Banger shocks are 1.5" stroke. Anything you see that refers to a 2.0" stroke is a Straight 6 shock (the second-gen Straight 6).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bump. Any progress?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Absolutely zero progress made on this. I haven't been riding the 4B much at all. Wont take much work to finish off the mount though so I might have a crack at it this week.
    Because of the shape, it means mounting up the 4-jaw chuck on one of the lathes at work which is a pain in the a$$.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    On a tangent, what can a 4 jaw chuck do that a 3 jaw chuck can't?

CTB
    mtbr member
    We had to use a 4-jaw on my mount as well since it is quasi-rectangular in shape. Two jaws on the long sides, two jaws on the short sides. A triple couldn't properly grip it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can each one of the jaws be adjusted independently?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep, a 4-Jaw can hold anything with 4/8/12 sides etc. A 3-jaw is only good for triangular/hex or round shapes.
    My mount is 8 sided for different BB height adjustments ;-)

And yes, on a 4 Jaw chuck, each jaw can be adjusted independantly so you can have eccentric shapes etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd be in for this. I'm currently running a 2.0" stroke Stratos, but I'm afraid someday it will break and I'll need more options!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast