Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4-Banger Weight

CTB
    mtbr member

4-Banger Weight

Well, I met my goal of getting my 4B below 30 lb.

Made me curious - has anyone ever scaled their Bangers? I haven't put any "exotic" parts on the bike, so there's still room to lose a little bit of weight, but I don't think much without sacrificing the usability and strength I have built in. The saddle is non-negotiable, but I could go with carbon bars, a carbon post (if anyone even makes a 26.8 in carbon), lighter Ergon grips (also not negotiable), a new BB/crankset (my Deore M510 and BB are 971g, so there's some room there), and so on. But that's all a lot of money. I could lose the bar ends, but I like having them. I've already converted the tires you see to tubeless with Stan's sealant, so other than an expensive, lighter wheelset, not much room there. (The Race King is 469g and the Mountain King is 580g, already pretty light for their size.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My Straight 6 was below 30 pounds (though now it's slightly above it again) with a reasonable build with no carbon. If you're interested, I can post it's spec sheet.

EDIT: Sette makes a 26.8 seatpost in carbon if you're looking.

Person
    Sep 2005
    My 4 Banger Homegrown is around 28 pounds after putting it on a diet last winter.

RaceFace also makes some light 26.8 posts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

CTB
    mtbr member
    B-Mech, you beat me to the request for your build. Thanks. Baulz, I'd love to see your build as well, plus what size frame both of you guys had. If I had a 17" frame like I need, that would drop a tiny bit of weight as well from my 19" frame. I'll post my build later for comparison.
    Last edited by CTB; 10-06-2009 at 02:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine's an 18". I'll trade you.

I don't know if you've done it yet or not, but I strongly recommend getting a kitchen scale with at least 1 gram resolution, then weighing every single part of your bike and putting it in a spreadsheet. It's a great tool to let you see where you're carrying weight, and to make the upgrades as effective as possible.

How do you like the clipless pedals?

Speaking of weight woes, my single speed Homegrown is only 30 grams away from being below 20 pounds. 30 grams! Problem is, I'm not sure where to save it...

CTB
    mtbr member
    I still have my 17" non-HG Banger that needs a couple welds touched up, so I'm good if I ever want to give up the HG. But as much as I'm an engineer, I also like the looks of my HG better, so I'm keeping it.

I don't own a scale, but I have friends with one. I borrowed it while I had the bike torn down over the winter, and I already have the spreadsheet of which you speak.

I'll post the build later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A couple things off the top of my head:

- Are you sure the saddle isn't negotiable? You could lose about a pound here. All saddles have different shapes, and there's lot of trial and error involved. I found a saddle (SDG Ti Fly) which is very low weight and profile, but also very comfortable.

- If you wait around, you can find an XTR M960 crankset on eBay for cheap. I picked one up for $86 shipped. It weighs about 810g stock with the BB.

- A Thomson seatpost would lose about 100g.

- What hubs are you using?

- What cassette are you using?

Person
    Sep 2005
    Here is my build list...

19" Homegrown 4 Banger Gold/Silver with 2.0" stroke shock
    2000 Psylo XC
    DiaComp headset
    Ritchey stem
    Monkeylight XC bar
    Ritchey WCS Ergo foam grips
    RaceFace Deus XC post
    XTR M952 Cranks/BB
    Generic 32t ring with carbon guide
    XTR M952 Rear Derailleur
    XT 11-32 Cassette
    XT 9spd Shifter
    XTR Pedals
    Bontrager Bassboat saddle
    Hope Mono Mini Brakes w/A2Z rear adaptor
    Light rotors 180/160mm - Can't remember the name
    Hope XC front hub
    Mavic 317 rim? 36 spoke
    DT 240s Rear Hub
    Sun Equalizer 23 rim 32 spoke
    DT DB spokes/Alloy nipples
    Continental Vertical Protection 2.3
    Light tubes
    Bolt-on Skewers
    Aluminum bolts wherever possible

Here it is

Old pic, cranks and front rotor have changed. Have a Sid rear shock I'm tempted to try, should save at least 1/2 pound. The bike needs a gold Psylo too.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    - Are you sure the saddle isn't negotiable?
    Yes. You can either ride an upholstered pipe like nearly every saddle I've ridden (admittedly not that many but enough) and put the weight of the padding in your shorts (I don't wear bike shorts), or you can put the padding on the saddle and call it good. I chose the latter and am extremely comfortable with it. Yeah, I don't fit the accepted practice, but I've ridden this way since 1999 just fine.

You could lose about a pound here.
    My saddle is 392g, per quote, so I can't lose a full pound. That weight isn't nearly as important to me as being comfortable.

there's lot of trial and error involved.
    Yep, I don't like my WTB ProGel at all, though it seemed like it might be comfortable. Very happy with what I have.

- A Thomson seatpost would lose about 100g.
    My current post is 206g and about 7" long from rails to end. Not sure I can get 100g from a Thompson or other light post; I think 160g (40g save) is possible.

- What hubs are you using?
    Bike as you see it has Shimano XT hubs, M756 vintage.

- What cassette are you using?
    XT, M750 vintage.

Rest of the build, as I can remember it:

Front D: XT M750 vintage
    Rear D: XTR M952 vintage
    2008 Fox F100R fork
    2004 Fox Float RL shock from Cannondale Jekyll (unchangeable, other than back to stock. SID is lighter by a bit, but the Fox clobbers it for performance and greater wheel travel)
    110mm Kalloy Uno Stem (166g)
    Ergon grips (GP1S) - necessary, though I could go Ergon "Superlights"
    Original 1999 Hayes Mag brakes (22mm rear)
    Unknown SRAM chain, but it's pretty old with a Power Link
    Shimano Deore M510 crankset with aluminum chain rings and JIS taper BB - 971g for the set
    Unknown spokes
    32-hole Mavic XM819 UST rims. I won't use narrower than 19mm inside-width rims, given the fat tires I prefer.
    Rear tire: Conti Race King SS 2.2, converted tubeless. Tire was 469g "bare."
    Front tire: Conti Mountain King SS 2.4, converted tubeless. Tire was 589g "bare."
    (Very happy with the tires. Low rolling resistance, good grip/feel, low weight overall. Each was sealed with 3 scoops of Stans.)
    Shimano M520 clipless pedals.
    Unknown handlebars, 25.5" width, fairly low rise. They came with the bike, and then I chopped them down. This is not wide-bar friendly riding in Michigan, and I'm pretty narrow anyway.
    Salsa QR seat clamp
    XT skewers.
    LX shifters of the M570 vintage.

Hmmm...if there's anything I forgot, ask me, but I think that's just about it. And again, the bike is a 19" frame.

Offhand, I think the only real big hitter is the crankset (800g easily possible with cash), with some gains to be had in stem, bars, and *maybe* a seat post. I'm not trying to go all-out, I'm just looking to see how I could reduce it a little while keeping a budget (i.e. I have none).

Baulz, I'm surprised yours is so light. You have the heavier dropouts on there (227g vs 157g for the later mag ones), the same size frame as mine, the coil-over (Super Deluxe with reducers, bolts, and trunnion 573g, SID is 306g, my Fox setup with trunnion is 367g), etc. I do know that the original carbon swingarm on my HG was significantly lighter than the one on there now (to the tune of 46g), but I like the later graphics (see, I'm not a true weenie). I also used all the 2000 pivot hardware on my bike, and the lighter no-pinch-bolt chainstay from my 2000.

Anyway, food for thought.

CTB
    mtbr member
    How do you like the clipless pedals?
    Fine on a known trail where I can just crank along. Still don't like them in panic situations or unknown trails where I need to dab, etc. There's no way I'd keep them on the bike if I were wintering in Arizona like I have the last few years, where the penalty for not clipping out is a LOT worse than here in MI. However, that no longer is part of my life, so I'll have time to get fat and work on the bike over the winter.

I like the ground clearance and power transmission, which I already knew from my time on the Scotts. Still have issues getting out of them quickly.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB

Baulz, I'm surprised yours is so light. You have the heavier dropouts on there (227g vs 157g for the later mag ones), the same size frame as mine, the coil-over (Super Deluxe with reducers, bolts, and trunnion 573g, SID is 306g, my Fox setup with trunnion is 367g), etc. I do know that the original carbon swingarm on my HG was significantly lighter than the one on there now (to the tune of 46g), but I like the later graphics (see, I'm not a true weenie). I also used all the 2000 pivot hardware on my bike, and the lighter no-pinch-bolt chainstay from my 2000.
    Turns out I was wrong, it's just a hair over 29 pounds. The frame is a beast, but the parts are light. Attention to detail is the key, all the small savings add up (skewers save 55g, rotors save 60g, etc.). One big thing is the 1X9 drivetrain, no front shifter/front derailleur/front cable & housing/2 less chainrings/shorter chain.

Looking at the bike last night I determined there is about another 90grams to save, maybe more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One thing I definitely noticed if your wheels are heavy. The XT hubs are porkers, and you're running UST rims when you don't need to be.

I'd say pick up some new rims and hubs over winter when everything is cheaper and get them built up. If you don't build wheels yourself, I'd be happy to do it for you.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Whew, haven't had time for full replies lately. I think this matches my original statement of cost vs weight. I think I'm pretty much at the point of where the cost is way more than I intend on putting into the bike for not that much weight loss. I'm running UST rims because I'm running the tires tubeless and didn't want to mess with the rim strips. The weight of a Stans rims strip is about the same as the weight diff between my XM819 wheels and my CrossRides, so I'm happy with that. I averaged less than $200 a set for both those wheelsets, and I don't have the money for playing around with expensive ones. Every time I've priced quality 19mm inside-width rims, spokes, and hubs to build them up, it's a lot more than I want to spend.

So shy of finding a bargain on a high-end crankset or ponying up for an expensive wheelset, I don't think there are any big hitters left. I can live with that.

mtbr member
    29lb, 4banger!!! holly crap! my 15'' homegrown weighs in at 28! stupid heavy fork, i need a 4 banger!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    29lb, 4banger!!! holly crap! my 15'' homegrown weighs in at 28! stupid heavy fork, i need a 4 banger!
    How is your Homegrown so heavy?!?

CTB
    mtbr member
    My 17" Moab was probably 26 lb as it came from Scwhinn in 1998. The components really add up. My HG Carbon is a solid 32 as it sits now. Porky!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The HG Carbon is a fantastically heavy frame. It weighs nearly as much as a new Straight 6 frame!

mtbr member
    heavy rock shox fork... stupid rockshox
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How much do you weigh? How much travel do you need? I may have a lead on something for you.

CTB
    mtbr member
    The HG Carbon is a fantastically heavy frame. It weighs nearly as much as a new Straight 6 frame!
    The good thing is that after riding one for 9 years, everything else seems light.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB

So shy of finding a bargain on a high-end crankset or ponying up for an expensive wheelset, I don't think there are any big hitters left. I can live with that.
    Wrong attitude, there is more to saving weight than just finding the big places to spend big money. Why not give bolt-on skewers a try? Save 55g for $15. Some lighter rotors, save 60g for $30-40. Aluminum chainring bolts will save 20-25g for $12 (plus add bling ). Then the smaller parts, carbon headset spacers, aluminum bolts for headset & bottle cage & derailleur pulleys & front derailleur mount will save another 20-25g for $10 or so. All together over 1/3 pound for $75-80.

The cranks will be an expensive upgrade, but what about just the BB for now? Maybe pedals too? Also look for deals on a light front wheel, I got a used King front hub last year for $50, spent about $100 for the entire wheel.

mtbr member
    i'm about 140. i have a 15'' homegrown that is to small for me. i would like a 17'' 4banger but with the move to Cali, i can't spend any money right now
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All I will say, is there are several Manitou SX forks on eBay right now, most of which will go dirt cheap. The SX is a very good fork, reliable, good chassis, and a damping system which is good even by today's standards. It would probably drop about a pound from your current fork.

CTB
    mtbr member
    My SX-R still rides great now that I topped up the fluid on the compression side. It impressed me with its feel once I freshened it, and it is a '99 fork.

Baulz:
    Bolt-on skewers: not in a million years. I have to take the wheels off to fit the bike in my car to go ride, so that is definitely not worth a few grams to me, unless I'm not understanding the concept of bolt-on skewers. I'm not a true weenie, I just am looking for relatively easy ways to nuke weight without sacrificing the usability of the bike. I've already got aluminum chainring bolts on the big ring (taken from another crankset I have), so I did do that one somewhat. Still have 4 that could be changed, though, so there's any easy one. I don't have a bottle cage, so there aren't any bolts on the bike (just some light plastic plugs). Aluminum derailleur pulleys? I guess I never thought of what the ones on there now are made of on my old XTR. Rotors are on my list when I need new ones, check. Al bolts are something to look into as well. Good ideas for pecking away at it.

Is there such a thing as a lightweight JIS taper BB? Just switching to my Octalink crankset would save 70g, I already know that. That was a cosmetic decision. See, not a real weenie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast