mtbr member

4 banger/straight 6 question

So I am going to look at a 2001 straight 6 and a 2000 4 banger on Thursday. They are both in "good" shape and have been upgraded from stock over the years. I don't have a full list of what is on each bike, I suppose I will find out Thursday. Anyway, the question is if there is anything specific to these bikes that I should be looking at before buying one of them? From research it sounds like the lower shock bracket can get cracks in the welds. I'm not too concerned about that as my brother is a certified welder and has a TIG in his garage. It would just be a point with which I can talk him down on price really.

Anything else I should scrutinize though?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Rear dropouts. Those bikes had the black magnesium ones. Look for cracks. Also the welds in the seat tube near the shock bracket you mentioned. Check the chainstay for cracks as well, though that bike should have the one without pinch bolts, which is less likely to be cracked.

mtbr member
    Thank you for replying CTB. I actually picked up the 4 banger tonight. The frame was replaced on warranty in ~2005 so its a little newer than I expected. All the welds look great. Most of the bike is stock except the cranks, wheel set and a Fox Vanilla R shock. The Psylo front shock was just rebuilt this winter. He threw in an extra set of fairly new tires and the old shock as well. The only thing wrong is a spoke on the rear wheel is broken from a stick getting in the spokes. I'll have it fixed at my local shop this weekend and I'll be good to go. He said he would look over the rest of the bike real well while i have it there. I'll have to switch out the tires for now as well, there are some heavy 2.6" Kenda DH tires on it right now.

I was so exited, it was poring down rain and 9:30pm when I got it home and I took it for a quick ride anyway.

The only thing I think I'll have to change is going to a little heavier spring for the rear shock. The guy I bought it from was about 160? and I weigh in at 225 right now. With some riding and more P90X I hope to be back down around 200 pretty quick. I started P90X at 255 so I am making progress. Some bad habits and going to a strictly desk job just about killed me.

I'll take some pictures in the next couple days and get them up here if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    I snapped a quick image with my phone...

CTB
    mtbr member
    Make sure to look for cracks near the main pivot of the carbon arm. That's where my Banger like yours cracked. That was a very fun bike - I still haven't been able to make my Homegrown Banger handle exactly like that one did.

mtbr member
    The carbon fiber arm looks great. There were a few dings but nothing big and he had hit those with clear nail polish just in case. The bike is at my LBS getting the spoke repaired and being looked over with a fine tooth comb. I am going on my first ride tomorrow. Nothing big, mostly flat terrain to get used to the bike. I'm actually pretty excited but I know my butt and legs are going to be killing me after the first couple rides. Still can't wait though.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Look at the aluminum frame and the welds near the pivot. I don't think I've ever heard or seen about the carbon arms breaking on these things without a major crash being involved.

Bike looks good! I just raced mine today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 banger/straight 6 question-dsc09428a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Also look for these cracks. Three in the front triangle and the crack around the pivot on the chainstay. I've had that happen twice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys and for the pics EHPhillips. I have checked all those points and they all look good. It gives me points to look at for ongoing inspections though. I have never seen a cracked frame myself so the pictures help with that inexperience. I have put about 30 miles (mostly on road) on it now and the bike geometry feels good. I replaced the clipless pedals with standard flat pedals last night and should get my new tires and finally my shorts (thank God) tonight. I just need to replace the grips soon and I should be good to go.