mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well 4 banger size 17-19

Hope you guys can help me here,

looking in the market for a 4 banger i have one doubt regarding size:

I am 1,78m (5.84 ft) tall and since Schwinn only produced 17& 19" versions i really do not know what one would fit me.

The 17" seller i am in contact with believes that size will be too small for me, while the 19" seller thinks 19" is ftoo big for me. I really appreciate their comments as they try to provide an accurate description adn not just sell for the sake of it but as Schwinn did not have 18" frames for the 4 banger... What is the right one for a guy of my heigth???

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    any 4banger owner over here? :-) just let me know your heigh and frame size to have an idea please

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hi, Lamparito. I own both a 17 and 19 4-Banger. I'm 5'6" (1.67m) and weigh 165 with all my gear; I prefer the 17" frame. The 19" is a little bit larger, and it feels like it. Since you are 5'8", I think 19 would be your size. You could probably use either size, depending on if you like your bike to fit short/small or longer/larger.

PS: Are both the bikes you're looking at the same frame design? I mean, are they Homegrowns or "regular" Bangers? I'm looking for a 17" Homegrown, myself. Thanks!
    Last edited by CTB; 02-25-2009 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks CTB, I am looking for a regular 4 banger or 2001 straight 6... not discarding a homegrown but i prefer a "regular" one.

I think i did a mistake while writing my height in feet.
    I am 178cm which equals 5'10" or 5,83feet, (not 5'8"), so considering 5'10" (10cm taller than you) and your opinion a 19" would fit me better right?

Do you find both frames (17 vs 19) very different regarding weight?

CTB
    mtbr member
    Oh, yes, then if you are 5'10" (you wrote it correctly, I made the mistake), you definitely want the 19".

I haven't weighed the two frames because I don't have them stripped down to just the frame. I don't think I will, either, since my build project won't flow as well if I do that. But I would have to guess that the 19" is probably less than 1 lb heavier than the 17". Not a big deal, really. The way you fit on the bike should be the bigger concern, I think.

A big reason I can't really judge the frames yet is because my 19" was build up as a VERY heavy mini-downhill build when I bought it, while my 17" was nearly stock from Schwinn. Note that the coil-shock bikes will be heavier than the air shock bikes, so if you can find a 2000 or later with the black rear dropouts and SID shock, it will be lighter than the ones with the coil springs and silver dropouts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ok thanks, i guessed that the coil socks would be heavier but also better than the sids, am i wrong? as the 01 stright 6 also used a coil one that was my impression...

Also what are the practical advantages of the homgrowns: just weight? i find the non homegrowns to be more beautiful as a design.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I wouldn't say the coil shock is better than the SID, just different. The Straight-6 used a coil because coil is better-suited to long-travel bikes. An air shock generally ramps up in spring rate as you compress the air, so it sort-of has built-in bottom-out protection. The coil spring setups on the Bangers is linear, so it doesn't ramp up. It's a matter of taste which one you like. I like how my air shock never feels like it runs out of travel, even if I do bottom it out. The problem with a long-travel bike is that progressivity of the air spring can cause it to blow out if you take a huge drop on something like a 6" or longer bike. Coils are also less maintenance-intensive. Air shocks eventually will leak down, and you have to check your air pressure before you ride. It's a pain if your shock leaks, but the advantage is you don't have to change coil springs (and thus remove the shock) for different rider weights. You just add/remove air.

There are no practical advantages to the Homegrown. I like the looks of the blue/silver ones better than the other bikes, so that's why I want one. My red 2000 bike is nice-looking, too, but I like the Homegrown paint better, as well as the looks of the frame. It's just whichever one you like better - get it and go ride. You'll have a ton of fun.