mtbr member
    Aug 2010

4 Banger problems

Well after 8 great years of use I had some squeaking in the rear during my last ride. I found that the lower swing-arm cracked at the bearing assembly by the BB on my HG 4 Banger All Mtn. This is one of those clamp areas and although I was checking frequently I have no clue when it broke. Anyone have parts or ideas to fix? I'm hoping there is someone out there that has the answers. Attention: Schwinn8, CTB, Joemamad or Bad Mechanic, any ideas?

Having problems posting photos. I will try later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm assuming this was on of swing arms which used pinch bolts? A lot of them came from the factory over tightened, and subsequently cracked. Schwinn sent out these little spacers which would keep you from tightening them too much. They then moved the swing arms over to the pressed in bearing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes it was on a pinch bolt frame, and there were no spacers either. I'll have to find a pressed bearing swing arm and start collecting some spare parts.

I tried several times to post photos in this thread but they appeared to be too big for the forum.

I was able to post them on BonusTomato, and here is the links below.

Photo 151 is of the whole bike with the crack next to the crank arm.
    http://www.bonustomato.com/web/sites...images/151.JPG

Photo 150 is a close up of the crack with the frame upside down, looking at the BB.
    http://www.bonustomato.com/web/sites...images/150.JPG

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I know exactly what it looks like, as I have an identically broken swing arm sitting in a box at home. The good news is you can use a swing arm off any 4 Banger or (yellow) Straight 6. The pinch bolt ones are fine, provided they're not over tightened.

By the way, that's a pretty bike you have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's someone selling a black swing arm:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...=847586#847586

CTB
    mtbr member
    Kosh, any progress? I just now saw this thread.

smell my finger
    Sorry I can't help (liquidated my Schwinns), CTB 's hoarding spare parts

mtbr member
    just read also.. be thankful it's just the swing arm! easy R&R once you find a replacement. just remember not to over tighten these bolts!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have to thank lamparito for selling his 4 Banger parts.

Thanks also to bad mechanic for pointing out his sale.

Shwinn8,
    Thanks for the advice. I found an earlier post that had all of the torque specs ( in/lbs ) for the Banger and I'll use the time waiting for the parts to rebuild the bike and check everything.

I also had a guy offer to sell me a Straight 8 frame and now I feel like I need another Lawwill in the garage. I'm going to see if CTB still has that 2001 Schwinn Catalog.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have it and I've already scanned it. I'll find it for you tonight. I had posted it here at some point, but so far I haven't found which thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    CTB if it is the straight8 catalog or owner's manual i would also like to have it! :-)

Also if anyone is interested i just got the yeti lawwill DH4 & DH6 aka straight6 owner's manual scanned in pdf, just drop me a line and i will send it to you