mtbr member
    Mar 2005

4-Banger parts swap anyone?

I've been hoarding 4-Banger parts to keep mine alive and I have finally hit a snag with my rear suspension. Both of my options are busted - the SID is leaky and the Coupe Deluxe is blown. I have a Fox Vanilla but it is missing the matching trunnion. If anyone has some solution suggestions, I'd be willing to dig thru my parts bin in trade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EHPhillips
    I've been hoarding 4-Banger parts to keep mine alive and I have finally hit a snag with my rear suspension. Both of my options are busted - the SID is leaky and the Coupe Deluxe is blown. I have a Fox Vanilla but it is missing the matching trunnion. If anyone has some solution suggestions, I'd be willing to dig thru my parts bin in trade.
    I'd contact MTB Suspension Experts in NC. http://www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com/ Talk to Kevin. He has been in the industry a long time and may be able to rebuild one or both of your damaged shocks. Let us know how it goes.

Brian
    owner '97 S-6

CTB
    mtbr member
    I designed my own trunnion mount and a friend with his own machine shop offered to make it for me. I, like you, also didn't have any options, plus I wanted a Fox air shock on the bike. Your best bet is probably a major overhaul on the SID to stop it from leaking and/or rebuild the Coupe Deluxe like Brian said.

smell my finger
    I think Hippitech suspension works on old Rock-Shox stuff.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    I think so also. There's a Hippie tech sticker on my Straight 8 pull-shock, so they rebuilt it at some point in the past.
    If I ever build it, I'll have to have them rebuild it again, as it's leaking oil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yeah, I have tried to call hippie tech, but so far no answer. The guys at suspension experts said the same thing. The Hippie tech web site says $75 bucks, which is reasonable if they can bring it back to nearly new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry for the late reply on this. I havent been on the forums for a while.

I just bought a replacement coil shock for mine from Chain Reaction. They have Fox shocks with 2 different spring options listed for about $30-$40 although I believe neither come with the trunion mount, so it may not help you.

Links here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=38235
    and here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=38235

I've been designing a trunion mount for about the last year or so to allow me to mount up a Rockshok Monarc air shock, but its a long way from finished.