2009 Mongoose Teocali Super
I'm seriously thinking about this one guys. I had the 07 black Teocali Super and it was stolen from me. I decided to to get rid of my stinky and take the insurance money from the theft and combine for a do-it-all bike.
Thus, my GT Sanction 1.0. It's a pretty cool bike and for the $2799 I paid for it, it's a steal. Still, it's a bit heavy, and not very nimble. It downhills' pretty nicely but I'm really missing the handling of my Teocali super. That bike had to be the best deal for the money by far. Now I see this thing. 5.7 inches of travel, ZTR rims, Telescoping seat post, Fox fork, etc. The price is higher than normal for a Super but I'm guessing they are now competing with the Blur LT, Titus spider, Intense 5.5, etc. I'm anxious to find out what the weight is.
I like the Sanction but I think the Tecocali was just the right bike at the right time. It really refueled the old MTB fire if you know what I mean.
I'm interested in your guys thoughts!
I had this
and now this
Now maybe this?
2009 Mongoose Teocali Super Mountain Bike.
* Fork: Fox F32 FRL, 140 mm travel, air spring, rebound and lock out, with 15 mm thru axle
* Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23, air spring, three position ProPedal, extra volume air can, 200x57 mm w/ 19x8 mm hardware
* Crankset: Shimano SLX 22/32/44T Hollowtech II
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano external bearing
* Pedals: Crank Bros. Smarty
* Front Derailleur: New Shimano SLX
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT, Shadow mount
* Shifters: Shimano SLX 27 speed
* Freewheel: Shimano HG80 Cassette11-34T
* Chain: Shimano HG73
* Rims: No Tubes ZTR Flow 32 hole
* Front Hub: Formula sealed bearing 15 mm thru axle
* Rear Hub: Formula sealed bearing cassette
* Spokes: DT Competition double butted with alloy nipples
* Brake Levers: Hayes Stroker Trail w/ tool free reach adjust
* Handlebar: FSA XC-190A-OS, triple butted and shot peened AL7050 riser, 31.8x20x680 mm
* Stem: FSA OS-150XT 6 deg. 31.8x90 mm
* Grips: Mongoose Lock on
* Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL titanium rail
* Seat Post: KS Cobra adjustable height w/ remote 31.6x350 mm
Where's my funny hat?
Buy it! The new teocali's (08 onwards) are a vast improvement on earlier models (yours was actually an 06, 07 supers had a gold frame). Better suspension geometry, better construction, better components, better everything. If you loved your old one, I reckon you'll seriously love the new one. I think weight is about 29lbs for a medium, but you could get it down by swapping a few selected components and ditching the tubes. Personally I'd swap the brakes for some SLX or XT, but thats just personal preference. These are definitely one of the most under-rated bikes on the market!! Cheers, Steve
You're right, mine was an 06. I haven't tried the Hayes brakes but I really liked the Juicy 7s that came on the bike. I'm not a huge XT brake fan but they work enough to stop me. I think I need to bleed them a bit.
Where's my funny hat?
I like my 08 XT's much more than the juicy's I had previously; much better modulation and NO SCREECHING! If you have 08 XT's on your sanction, try putting Koolstop pads in them (the ones labelled XTR 965); they make a huge difference compared to stock pads and don't need any burning in period. FWIW. The hayes strokers seem to have pretty good modulation and power, but the caliper design isn't very open so could build up heat, and you need to remove them to change pads. I also don't like the lever blade shape much, but again, personal preference. Cheers, Steve
Originally Posted by ehansen007
I was just bleeding my XTs and noticed so wear on the outboard pad (I had switched to the XTR pads which got rid of of the noise early on) so I thought I'd try the half and half trick front and back to see if it works. We'll find out!
Just got the Teocali Elite and the guys at the shop say its lighter than the Super by about 400gm (2 pounds) roughly, the remote seat post has some weight. Great handling bike out of the box, Not cutting edge on weight (around 13/14kg 31 pound roughly) but a great climber and all purpose bike (in my opinion). I wont post a review on it on the site because I base my views squarely on the fact that it only has to compete against a 15 year old piece of s**t. The Khyber looks the goods for a guy like you who has had some pedigree in the shed.
most of the 08 mongoose's are great buys
i have a khyber and it feels solid but if you like going up hills really fast DONT get one as it weighs 17kg and has wide ass tyre's (my road bike is for going up hills
and the 08 bikes are around $1000 cheaper then the 09