mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2009 Mongoose Canaan Comp - 120MM Fork?

Hi all! New to the board and just purchased (thanks in large part to this site and the reviews/forum) a 2009 Mongoose Canaan Comp from performance bike. The mod bug has already hit me and my buddy happens to have a Fox F-series 120mm fork for me

Will this fit and work on the bike?

What?
    it would be fine. It would slack the head tube angle about 1/2 a degree. It wont effect the the strength of the frame or anything like that. It would make climbs slightly harder because your weight would be back farther, but would help slightly on decents. I stress the word slightly. I would go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So of course, I did the smart thing and asked mongoose if a 120MM would fit. They said NO, dont even try it,warranty yada yada yada.

Sheesh.

So you're thinking it would be ok huh? Maybe worth a shot.
    Last edited by cleoent; 03-22-2010 at 09:13 PM.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by cleoent
    So of course, I did the smart thing and asked mongoose if a 120MM would fit. They said NO, dont even try it,warranty yada yada yada.

Sheesh.

So you're thinking it would be ok huh? Maybe worth a shot.
    Of course mongoose would say not to do it. They are going to look for any reason not to cover your frame. Just like a car company dropping your warranty if you do mods to the car. Keep the old fork so if you have a problem with the frame down the road, you can put it on real quick and take it to the shop to claim the warranty. 20mm isnt going to make or break the frame. I have ran 130mm fork on a frame ment for 100mm fork and never had a problem. (I even did some DH riding with it) I would still go for it, Mongoose is just covering there asses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been running a 130mm minute in my meteore team for 6 months now. No problems at all, and i throw my bike up and down everything! The meteore is the hardtail version of the canaan, i bet the head-end is identical.

I changed out the olympics for arch rims, so the bike is much beefier. The frame can easily cope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I guess i'll try it out and see if there is a big enough improvement to warrant the expense

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any more feedback of course would be very much appreciated

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It will work, so long as the steerer tube on the Fox is at least as long as the one on your current fork.