mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2009 Canaan comp vs 2010 Teocali comp

So I know there have been a few threads covering similar decisions, just bare with me a little please!

I'm a weekend warrior who casually does a bit of XC that 60% of the time involves some climbing. I currently ride an unremarkable Giant hard tail and am looking to make a more serious investment into mountain biking.

Unfortunately the options living in Japan aren't that great. At the price I'm looking at my choices are the 2009 Canaan comp / 2010 Teocali comp / or the GT sensor 3.0 (I've read comparisons between the Teocali and the Sensor and they seem to boil down to personal preference. I've leant towards the Teocali cause I think it just looks cooler).

All the reviews I've read claim the Canaan is an excellent climber, but the Teocali is a very versatile all-purpose type of bike. My main question is, what makes the Canaan such a good climber? Considering both use the Freedrive system and most of the parts between the two are similar - is it just the weight difference of the Canaan? The numbers vary but it seems to be about 2kgs.

I'm very attracted to the all-purpose viability of the Teocali because there are a few Downhill tracks in my area, but still want to do lots of climbing to really get a good workout. Let's say I pickup a Teocali, pickup a few upgrades (the cool kids seem to do away with the shocks) and maybe cut down on the snacks - would it be just as good as the Canaan in the climbing department?

Singletrack Slayer
    The Teocali will have a slightly slacker head angle and a little more travel compared to the Canaan. As far as climbing goes, the Teocali will not dissapoint you. The type of riding I do is best described as all mountain, which involves earning your turns (climbing) while facing some tricky descents. With the way the Freedrive works, it really gets things done, and I usually run out of power before the bike lets me down. It really does climb nicely, especially when there are ledges and bumps to climb over on the uphills.

The best bet is to get on both bikes and feel the difference. With both bikes being a Comp level, you may find the fork to be too soft and slow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wish I had the luxury to test ride them or even speak to someone at a store. If I did I probably wouldn't need to make a thread like this >.<

Ironically I live in the most mountainous region of Japan but all the shops here sell road bikes or Giant hard tails with B brakes zzzzzz.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. You've pushed me towards the Teocali. Especially since I've also read reports of the Canaan's frame breaking a little too easily.