mtbr member

New question here. 2008 Mongoose Otero Super handlebar question?

Don't know if Mongoose reads these boards or not, or anyone can answer from personal knowledge.

I just bought 2008 Otero Super. Along with buying the bike I got a set of ODI Lock-on grips since the bike just came with normal grips.

The OEM grips slid off very easily by hand, and I went to put the ODI grips on. I then realized the handlebar diameter was too small, and the grips wouldn't tighten around the bar.

I pulled out my caliper and measured the bars. They were 13/16" instead of the standard 7/8". So the diameter is 1/16" too small.

So here is my question. Was this on purpose by Mongoose, or a manufacturing defect which should be replaced under warranty?

mtbr member
    Don't worry about answering this. I'm just going to get some new handlebars for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have fun on that 08...I have an 07 and it is very nice for the price.

gap
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have an 07 Otero Super w/ LizardSkinz/ODI lock on grips and they fit perfect. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gap
    I have an 07 Otero Super w/ LizardSkinz/ODI lock on grips and they fit perfect. No problems at all.
    Yeah I figure they were just defective. Definitely the diameter was too small for the ODI lock-ons. I didn't like that the bars were almost flat anyway, so I got some Sunline bars with a 25mm rise, and some brown Sunline lock-on grips. It looks great now.

The bike is a birthday gift to my brother so I wanted it to be good.

The bike looks like it will be a nice ride for him to try different stuff, and get a better bike later if he really likes it. But I got the '08 model at Performance for $675 with a free helmet. Then $67 in store credits. So it was a deal I couldn't pass up.