mtbr member
    May 2007

2008 Mongoose Meteore Ultimate

I didn't know about this bike until I recently got a Performance Bike flyer. It is a wicked hardtail!

[SIZE="5"] MSRP: $3799.99[/SIZE]
    Frame: High Modulus 3K Carbon
    Fork: Fox F100RLC, air spring, rebound, compression and threshold adjust
    Crankset: SRAM Noir Team , 2 pc carbon arms, 22/32/44T alloy
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ external bearing
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy C clipless
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X.9 low clamp
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0, carbon/alloy cage
    Shifters: SRAM X.0 Impulse trigger shifters, w/ Matchmaker Juicy brake mount
    Freewheel: SRAM PG-990 11-32 9 speed
    Chain: KMC Z-9900
    Rims: No Tubes ZTR Olympic Disc Tubeless, 32°
    Tires: Kenda 26x2.1 Small Block Eight, DTC, folding bead
    Front Hub: Ringle Dirt Flea Disc, 32°
    Rear Hub: Ringle Dirt Flea Disc alloy carrier, 32°
    Spokes: DT Swiss 14/15 ga black
    Nipples: CNC alloy black
    Front Brake: Avid Juicy Ulitmate hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor
    Rear Brake: Avid Juicy Ulitmate hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor
    Brake Levers: Avid Juicy Ulitmate, Matchmaker clamp
    Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite SL CNT, Lo Rise, 31.8 mm
    Stem: Easton EA70, 6* angle
    Grips: Mongoose No-Flange M-logo Lock On grip
    Headset: FSA IS-2 integrated
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Team
    Seat Post: Easton EC70 CNT Carbon, two bolt, 27.2 mm
    Seat Clamp: CNC Alloy w/bolt
    Extras: "No Tubes" Tubeless conversion kit

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

For the weight and price nothing comes close

I can not find any reviews about this bike. There are no other bikes under 22 pounds at this price point. The bike is even on sale at Performance at a lower price than MSRP. The parts spec is top notch. I like how they used Stans rims with a tubeless conversion kit - definitely the lightest way to make a wheel. The only two questions are whether the frame will last and the ride quality. If the frame has reasonable strength and the bike rides well, this could be the best deal around. Someone. Please post a review or direct me to an article.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    If buying from performance they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee as well which is nice. Would there be any type of warranty if the frame cracked or broke?

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    I think Performance just dropped this to $3000 now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just bought the bike for $2499.00. We'll see how it rides next week when I get it.
    Mrazek Hardtail
    Giant TCR® COMPOSITE 1

mtbr member
    May 2009

Just bought the bike for $1999.

Hey guys, I agree that the info on this bike is just so sparse it's rediculous. I also couldn't find any warranty info from Mongoose's main sites on the carbon frame. Performance said they give a 5 year frame guarantee (assuming I dont plow into a tree/rock at high speed).

So I am now a proud owner of the Mongoose Meteore Ultimate. I haven't even ridden it in on trails yet.(!) I got the small frame (I'm 5'11'', but have short legs) so I can throw that thing around. Upgraded from a 1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur, so you can imagine my grin!

I still can't believe the deal: $3,799 MSRP, down to $2399, instant $400 back, 10% loyalty discount, and as a member I get 10% of purchases back in store credit...which I already munched. Trails, here I come!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I saw a Canadian guy riding that bike at the 2008 Trans Germany, been looking for it since. It looked very nice irl.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but i have been able to find no reviews on the meteore at all! It's scary!

I was researching it for ages because an '08 team frame popped up at my LBS for 200 AUD (170USD). I checked the specs for the bike, and it came with amazing parts, and was a 9.7kg alloy bike. That might not be up there with the 10k bikes, but it's damned impressive!

Aaaanyhow, i stumped up and have been riding it for a couple of months now (took forever to track down the special is-2 headset!). The frame weighed in at 1470g for a large, with hangar and micro-adjust seat clamp. That's pretty good. The stiffness is even better. For a narrow regular BB it's considerably stiff. Rear triangle is well solid too.

Geometry is pretty good, low bb, short stays. The front end handles my Minute 130, no noticeable flex even on off-camber rocks. So far it's very playful and huckable, and there's no sign that it needs to be pampered from the lightweight spec it was saddled with originally.

It even looks right with my powder blue forks.