mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2005 Teocali Frame Failure

My frame developed a crack around the circumference of the top tube, about 1/2" in from the head tube. The crack has to travel about another 1/2" to effect a clean break from the head tube. The Mongoose frame warranty is lifetime - but only for steel frames. Aluminum frames only have a 5 year warranty.

I sent mongoose an email to see what they will do for me. Technically it's 6 years old but I bought it as a left over, so I've only had it for around 5 years. I think I bought it around the beginning of summer, I'd have to go through my 2006 Visa bills.

Anyone else have a Teocali with a cracked frame in the head tube area?

Although I really like the rear suspension, maybe it's time to lose the Goose. Maybe I'll get a GT Force frame and build it up with the Goose parts.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got pics?

Most of the cracks that I have heard of on teocalis have occurred on welds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This crack started at the weld on the underside of the top tube. As you can see, the crack did not follow the weld. The frame is lying on its side. The other side looks identical, with the crack starting at the weld and running up the side of the tube. The crack looks white because that's the original color. I repainted it a couple of years ago.

Edit: The stem and bars are to your left in the picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 Teocali Frame Failure-brokegooses7301207.jpg  

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeck
    My frame developed a crack around the circumference of the top tube, about 1/2" in from the head tube. The crack has to travel about another 1/2" to effect a clean break from the head tube. The Mongoose frame warranty is lifetime - but only for steel frames. Aluminum frames only have a 5 year warranty.

Although I really like the rear suspension, maybe it's time to lose the Goose. Maybe I'll get a GT Force frame and build it up with the Goose parts.
    I beleive that the warranty starts from the date when you purchase the bike, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Also, the frames starting in 2008 had a redesign, and I haven't heard about any of them cracking so far. Definitely get a hold of mongoose and see what they say

What?
    First Time I have seen or heard of that! Mongoose is good with warranty, But I recall someone on here talking about how they got the run around from mongoose because the warranty on FS bikes was 3 years according to Mongoose. They ended up giving him a new frame after a lot of complaining, But it was a pain.

Let us know what happens!

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I recall someone on here talking about how they got the run around from mongoose because the warranty on FS bikes was 3 years according to Mongoose. They ended up giving him a new frame after a lot of complaining, But it was a pain.

LOL! Yeah, I'm the guilty party on that one.

That crack on that there pic definitely started on the weld, so you have a case, BUT, repainting a frame has been the deal breaker on other bike manufacturer warranty claims, or so I have read. Will this be the case with you? IDK. You'll just have to try and see what happens.

The deal that Mongoose initially gave me was a discount on a new frame, but I had other circumstances that eventually led to a free frame. But as Mullen said, it was a pain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmm..... Now I know where that creak was coming from. It started last summer. I checked the usual suspects, BB, bars, seat post - nothing. Then it went away only to come back a couple of days ago. Then I noticed what looked like a couple of white scratches on the sides of the top tube and thought that was an odd place to get scratches. Upon closer examination.......................WTF! I don't jump the bike, I'm 180 lbs. I do ride some very rocky trails that give the bike a good pounding - if I wanted to ride smooth trails, I would have gotten a cross bike!

No response from Mongoose yet. Maybe I'll send another email with that pic in it.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got the quickest response when I took my bike into Performance and had them handle the initial contact. Quick is a relative term, though. If I recall correctly, it took a couple of weeks for them to get a response from Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's all Mullen's fault! He's the one that told me to try that 35 pound full suspension saddle with coil springs and fluid flow damping! Now look what happened. LOL!

You can put a bike on a sofa, but you can't put a sofa on a bike.

What?
    It's all Mullen's fault! He's the one that told me to try that 35 pound full suspension saddle with coil springs and fluid flow damping! Now look what happened. LOL!

You can put a bike on a sofa, but you can't put a sofa on a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    RE: Frame warranty service
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:38 PM
    "Andrew Smith"

To:
    bigbeck222

This type of damage is usually but not always covered depending on the
    circumstances, however if you purchased your bike in 2006 your 3 year
    frame warranty would now be expired. Sorry to be the bear of bad news
    but the best thing I can offer you is a crash replacement discount on a
    new bike. If you would wish to take advantage of this offer please see
    an authorized dealer for more info.

Andy

That's my email response from Mongoose. He basically just told me to go F myself. Well, I certainly won't be buying another Goose. There's plenty of other good bikes out there.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    "Andrew Smith"

To:
    bigbeck222

Andy

That's my email response from Mongoose. He basically just told me to go F myself. Well, I certainly won't be buying another Goose. There's plenty of other good bikes out there.
    Yeah, that's the initial response I got from them too. Sorry it turned out that way.

What?
    "Andrew Smith"

To:
    bigbeck222

Andy

I was afraid that was going to be your response. While I like the way my teocali rides, It will most likely be my last goose as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I think the Freedrive system is great ,too. I can put up with cleaning/repacking the BB link bearings twice a year - but a broken frame? No. I could see if I was an aggressive and/or heavy rider, but I'm not. I don't even jump. Unless you call launching off a 8" lip and getting a foot or so of air,jumping. LOL

I was thinking of getting a GT Force but GT only has a 3 or 5 year warranty on the frame.
    I'll be going to Dirtfest at the end of May and GT will be there with a bunch of demo bikes.
    I tried out the GT Sensor at a demo this past November and the bike felt really nice. I rode it really hard too - near my limit. That's something I don't usually do on a demo bike. The only drawback is that it's a brand new model. Funny, a couple of other riders who were behind me, told me that I looked "comfortable" on the Sensor. Maybe that's an omen? LOL

What?
    Gt and Mongoose are owned by the same parent company, so the warranties will be the same. Freedrive and Idrive share patents as well, so the feeling of riding them is similar. (probably why you felt so comfortable on it) I Think my next bike is going to be a Diamondback Mission. I have heard nothing but great things the bikes, and Diamondback customer service. The Sortie's look nice as well, But I would want the extra inch of travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm riding my 2005 Jamis XLT now. I bought the frame about 3 years ago for 400.00 brand new. It's got that funky Talas rear shock that can shortened by a 1/2" to give a slacker geometry. So I can have either 68 or 68.5 degrees with the flip of a lever. I can feel a fairly big difference in the two settings. The steering is a little too floppy at 68 degrees for tight,fast singletrack but perfect for going down on rugged terrain. It affects the steep climbs too. So I just leave it at 68.5 degrees.
    Hmm.... it may be slacker than I stated because the bike is supposed to have a 130mm fork on it and I put a 145mm Nixon on it. Maybe .5 degrees?

mtbr member
    Hey guys there was another tread like this like a year ago with the same issue and lots of people having issues with this frame.
    Second place is always the first looser!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Good job! 2005 teocali frame failure

just got my 2006 teocali super frame replaced from a crack in the weld on the leg around the shock. mongoose gave me 2010 elite frame. took just under a month to get. mongoose did not want to replace the frame saying that there was only a 3 year warranty on the frame. the bike shop owner had to yell and call bs to their claim of the warranty only being 3 years when the book that came with the bike said limited lifetime warranty to the original owner of the bike. anyways they pulled through and i now have a new frame.
    Last edited by jeremymk; 09-27-2011 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yep I too had a 2005 Teocali replaced this time last year under warranty (it wa 4yrs and 10 months since purchase when I went back to the shop. I still had the original book that stated 5 years for Al frames and didn't have any issues took about 5 weeks all up and I got a 2010 elite frame. Having said all that I'm in Australia so things are different but might be worth trying to push Mongoose a little

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    dang,...suddenly gonna go check my frame for cracks. :/