mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2001 Scwhinn Homegrown questions...

Hi,,
    I was thinking of picking one of these up and had a few questions first.My first question is this,after some research I have found that while it does have disc brake tabs,they are for the 22mm Hayes brakes.I have found an adapter made by A2Z that supposedly makes it so you can use normal IS mounted brakes,does anyone have any experience with this situation?I was also wondering about who made it,it apparently has a sticker saying it was made by Omnium Cycle Works here in the U.S. and after some research this seems to be true,they apparently were a large OEM builder during that time period and also built for GT among others,I just want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by CRed; 05-31-2010 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually,after looking more closely at the pictures it seems it already has the regular IS brake tabs,is this possible?

Never mind,it does come with the IS brake tabs.I ended up buying a very nice 2001 Schwinn Homegrown frame off ebay,it's the nice anodized black model,I have always wanted one and can't wait to get it.I'm actually going to sell my Ventana El Chiquillo to pay for it,can you believe that?
    Last edited by CRed; 05-31-2010 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    I'm actually going to sell my Ventana El Chiquillo to pay for it,can you believe that?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Yes.

Well,I knew you Homegrown addicts would understand,but I'm not sure many others would. I paid $300+ shipping for it so I probably overpaid a bit,but I didn't want to risk losing it in a bidding war so I used the BIN option.Still,I don't think it's a bad deal considering it's a great looking sub 3Lb scandium frame with a rabid following.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nope. I recently paid almost $300 for a '99 Homegrown hardtail frame to keep as a backup to the one I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I didn't think so either.I've seen your bikes in other threads,very nice!I can see why you guys collect them.I want a Homegrown FS of some sort,maybe a Homegrown 4banger,I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i have a nearly mint 95 hardtail that I am restoring to basically mint condition then I will likely just hold onto it

any of you know where I can get sun CR17a rims? I believe that was the model that came on mine. they are gold with the obvious silver rim brake contact surfaces

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    i have a nearly mint 95 hardtail that I am restoring to basically mint condition then I will likely just hold onto it

any of you know where I can get sun CR17a rims? I believe that was the model that came on mine. they are gold with the obvious silver rim brake contact surfaces

Pictures?Yeah,that's what they came with in 1995,go to www.bonustomato.com,they're a great resource for us (new)Homegrown guys.Don't know where to get the rims,you'll have to scour ebay for them probably and hope they show up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pictures?Yeah,that's what they came with in 1995,go to www.bonustomato.com,they're a great resource for us (new)Homegrown guys.Don't know where to get the rims,you'll have to scour ebay for them probably and hope they show up.
    here are some photos. please understand that I tried to make this bike into something it was not and I realize my error. Thankfully, absolutely NO permanent mods had to be made to the frame to make these additions fit and I kept all the original parts. I am a light rider and only used the bike for a few XC rides in this form. So it is all good. The frame is in amazing shape. Really no scratches to speak of, definitely no dents.

I still have the Control Tech parts, the Judy fork, and Xray grip shifts and all the original drive train, etc. In pictures is the original rail-less San Marco saddle as well. I want to meticulously clean all the parts and "restore" the bike. My rims took the worst hit because I used the wheels on my winter bike...stupid I know. I think I might be able to clean them up...have not tried yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What I know of this bike is it is a model year 1995. I am the original owner. As far as I know, this was made in the Yeti factory at that time. I recall it taking a long time to get in the shop. I think it might have been closer to 1996 by the time it came. I forget. I think it was the first yr of the Homegrown and was the 100th yr anniversary of Schwinn

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice bike!I like it,why would you be worried about what you have done with it?Is it because it's not all original and you used modern components?I am building mine up with all modern components too,it's going to be very nice and weight less than 20 pounds.I could certainly understand not wanting to make any permanent modifications to the frame though,that would not be good at all.I think it looks great the way you have it,but i could understand wanting to restore it to its original specs.Here's a picture of my frame with my new Manitou R7 Elite TPC fork....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 Scwhinn Homegrown questions...-tn_homegrown-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    "What I know of this bike is it is a model year 1995. I am the original owner. As far as I know, this was made in the Yeti factory at that time. I recall it taking a long time to get in the shop. I think it might have been closer to 1996 by the time it came. I forget. I think it was the first yr of the Homegrown and was the 100th yr anniversary of Schwinn"

Here's a link that you may find interesting...

http://www.bonustomato.com/web/?q=node/21

What are you using to hold down your cables on the TT?That's really cool that you are the original owner,that certainly makes returning it to its original condition very understandable.It would be a nice trip down memory lane wouldn't it?
    Last edited by CRed; 06-05-2010 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "What I know of this bike is it is a model year 1995. I am the original owner. As far as I know, this was made in the Yeti factory at that time. I recall it taking a long time to get in the shop. I think it might have been closer to 1996 by the time it came. I forget. I think it was the first yr of the Homegrown and was the 100th yr anniversary of Schwinn"

Here's a link that you may find interesting...

http://www.bonustomato.com/web/?q=node/21

What are you using to hold down your cables on the TT?That's really cool that you are the original owner,that certainly makes returning it to its original condition very understandable.It would be a nice trip down memory lane wouldn't it?
    I am using pieces of inner tube to hold all the brake hoses. I sort of sandwiched the hose between layers of tube and then zip tied. this way the hose was not rubbing on the frame.

yes, I was even thinking about "modernizing" some parts. for instance, it came as LX/XT and I was thinking of replacing with all new XTR stuff...maybe new older XTR versions if I can find them.

...or maybe just the exact parts it came with. I really wish I could track down a new set of those rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    I am using pieces of inner tube to hold all the brake hoses. I sort of sandwiched the hose between layers of tube and then zip tied. this way the hose was not rubbing on the frame.

yes, I was even thinking about "modernizing" some parts. for instance, it came as LX/XT and I was thinking of replacing with all new XTR stuff...maybe new older XTR versions if I can find them.

...or maybe just the exact parts it came with. I really wish I could track down a new set of those rims.

This is what I'm going to use for mine...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...Hose-Guide.htm

Never tried them before so I hope they do the job.

I really like the way your bike looks in those pictures,I'll try to make mine look that nice.XTR stuff is expensive,even the older stuff,but it's light and looks good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is what I'm going to use for mine...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/157...Hose-Guide.htm

Never tried them before so I hope they do the job.

I really like the way your bike looks in those pictures,I'll try to make mine look that nice.XTR stuff is expensive,even the older stuff,but it's light and looks good.
    thanks very much!

I am sure those will work great and look cleaner than what I did. Your frame in anodized, right?

Mine is I guess like a thick powder coat type paint. I knew about those cable guides you mentioned but I think at the time I was concerned that the screw might chip the paint. I think if it is Ano it wouldn't be as much a concern. I am kind of a perfectionist otherwise most probably would not have thought twice about using them. hahahah

anyway, I am looking forward to returning it to its original form

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You're welcome.

Yeah,my frame is black anodized.

I really don't think it would do anything to your paint job,they just screw into the cable stops and don't touch any other part of the frame.If you like I can take a picture to give you an idea of how they work.

Remember to post pictures when you're done,I would love to see it.