mtbr member

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro

I wanted a Schwinn homegrown for along time a frame made in USA well found a brand new one and ordered it can't wait to start building it up here is a pic.

mtbr member
    Score!! nice pick-up.. have you thought about your parts list for it yet?
    "a well ridden rock, gathers no moss"

mtbr member
    Yes was thinking of this setup let me know what you think don't wont to spend to much as wife will be pissed lol
    SRAM X.7 Twister Shifter
    SRAM X.7 Front Rear Derailleur
    SRAM PG950 Cassette
    Wellgo V12 Copy pedals
    Aheadset ICBM Headset
    Fizik Nisene Sport WingFlex seat
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Titec Big AL XC Stem
    Tioga T-Bone 6061 Seatpost
    Titec Hellbent Comp Riser Bars
    Rock Shox tora 318 forks or SR SUNTOUR EPICON forks
    Michelin Country Rock tires
    Shimano Deore 2 Piece Mountain Bike Crank or Truvativ Firex 3.3 GXP Mountain Bike Hollowtech Cranks
    Avid Ball Bearing 7 disc

mtbr member
    Well my frame came today now need to start saving to build it the only prob is it didnt come with decal below seat were it says made in USA bit pissed about that emailed seller well here are some pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

new homegrown

Good luck with it. I have a 98 homegrown with the bass boat orange finish. I saw some official decalls on ebay and I think I saw your frame recently.

Update us on your build. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Will update could not find decals on ebay but didnt get frame there got it here thanks.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...85704dda176cd8

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

schwinnn

i'm about change out parts, but keeping original around. Adding: Custom build wheels with dt swiss hub and spokes and mavic 517 (gold wheel), answer carbon bar, bontrager seatpost and easton mg60 stem, avid ti v brakes and sid xc fork, and will be 9 speed with xt shifters. First time since I bought it in 1998 that i changed out any of the parts. I got the parts and a great price so having a little fun.

mtbr member
    Got My first part for my frame its a rear disc adapter I found and want to try.
    http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

new homegrown

I just picked up a second bass boat orange homegrown size 17 1998. the paint is rough and flaking a lot. I was thinking about stripping it and getting it painted a solid color given it is in such rough shape.

Sandblast, sanding or chemical strip? ideas? I have a friend who works for body shop who can give it an amazing paint job. I wanted a project schwinn b/c original is in great shape so I needed something else to play around with.

mtbr member
    Paint it up with a nice bright color to show it off are the decals still ok on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

painting my new schwinn

I decided to touch it up in a couple of spots and clean it up. Surprisingly, it looks pretty good. It's bass boat organge (I have two HGs in bass boat orange now). My other HG is for racing next year and this one is for good old fashion fun with no worries (I suppose it's my beater bike). Still hooking up brakes, new cables lines and shifters lines but will post a picture of the two of them next to each other soon.
    Last edited by 1998 schwinn; 10-10-2009 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I would like to see the pics have you had a chance to take any.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sure will. almost done with them. Still trying to decide on a seatpost and setting up the avid ti brakes set. where are you on your build?

mtbr member
    I ordered a seat to match frame have a look slowly getting other parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

very cool saddle

I think it will look great. how far along are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

my schwinn homegrown pics

almost complete...I may add an answer carbon riser and bontrager xxx al/crbon clamp stem, if i like the feel after a ride.

not the clearest pictures but here they are:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03094.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03095.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03091.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03100.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03093.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03097.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03096.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03092.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks new great looking homegrown Im waiting for a headset and seatpost then I will start my build will update soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks

It sat for three weeks recently waiting for parts. I bought it in 98 and its been ridden often then stored in a loving environment I usually make sure to wipe it down and lube between rides... just routine maintenance.

mtbr member
    Started my build pics up soon.

mtbr member
    Here it is so far still have rear brake to setup and take to bike shop to do my gears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

it looks great

the orange sets off really nice with the black. What's left to do?

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for a 160mm rotor and rear disc adapter the one I had did'nt work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

made a couple of changes...that i like

noticed that front end wheelies were a problem during climbs since i changed from my stock 63 mm judy xc fork to a 80 mm sid fork. I shortened the stem previously to 90 mm from the stock 110mm for comfort before i added the sid fork, but with the increased travel came more twitch with teh shorter stem. It was nearly imposible to find my old comfort position on climbs.

I now returned the stock 110 mm stem and added a sec 90 eastern carbon and couldn't be happier with it again. It always climbed well but i wasn't prepared for domino affect of changes when i tried to get some comfort with travel and a shorter stem.

I'm leaving it as is for next year's race circuit, route 66, here in New England. Now onto my fun buildup schwinn homegrown (same frame and color). I might add some slicks for the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03145.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03149.jpg  

2000 Schwinn Homegrown pro-dsc03152.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

have you been out on it yet

just seeing how you made out. Hope you got your rotor so get a chance or two to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    My rotor should arrive tomorrow paid customs today those jerks charging me 13 pounds for a 60$ 9 year old hayes 22mm caliper will post some pics after I install it then I can enjoy

mtbr member
    My hayes 22mm direct mount came today and I put it on now bike is going to shop to have the gears done here are some pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

very nice

let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Will do I'm tired of riding my wifes bike lol.

mtbr member
    http://www.torontocycles.com/images/DCFN0004.JPG

Guy74, Have you tried this adapter? With some luck you should be able to use this adapter with a 160mm front adapter and get away with a 160mm IS brake caliber in the back. Unless you want to run the 22mm brakes. The spacing can be tight so not all brakes fit. If you search for 22mm brake or adapter on the forums you should be able to find a couple of guys who run it this way.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm gonna need to run one of those on my 4banger to convert it from Hayse mount to IS mount so I can run Avid's

mtbr member
    Very nice!

CTB
    mtbr member
    That adapter should work on a 4-Banger nicely, but if you have a Sweetspot or a hardtail, you will likely need to use one of these:

http://www.torontocycles.com/images/...apter_rear.jpg

The rear triangles are too shallow on the hardtails and Sweetspots to use the other adapter.

mtbr member
    I have tried both adapters you guys posted on my homegrown hardtail and both did not work on my hardtail you need the hayes 22mm thats not made anymore.On the first adapter there is not enough room because of the seatstay clearence and the second adapter it hits the seatstay there is a guy from B&S fabrication Seth Clayton nanoseth@yahoo.com that sells one thats made for Schwinn necessary modification bend style to it.Similar two the second one posted .But I talked to guy who used one and he said the adapter always needed adjusted not very good.

mtbr member
    Just got bike back from shop and he said my bottom bracket is to long it wont shift to gear 3 anyone know what size bottom bracket this frame uses thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have a xtr 68-73mm x 112.5mm...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Great thanks alot for the help.

mtbr member
    Ordered a 63x113mm bb from chainreaction when I wear that out I think I will go hollowtech but rod bike yesterday for first time man did it ride nice the speed was great just need to set my front shock up correctly messed with it abit more riding today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    congrats...nothin better than reviving a decade old bike...!!!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks its been fun now i can enjoy riding it love old skool schwinns

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2000 Homegrown Pro Disc brakes

I have the same frame, same color, it's a 19 inch.

I have a bunch of questions, if you don't mind.

Did your rear disc mount have 2 different sized bold sockets (holes)? Mine are different sizes (rear is larger) and they are not stripped. I wonder if you ran into the same thing? It's kind of weird, maybe somebody re-tapped the one I have. If you know the sizes for the two bolts, please share.

When you tried the first adapter, the 22mm to IS 51mm, was it just the seat stay clearance that kept it from working, or would there have been other issues? My 19 inch frame might have a just a hair more room between the seat and chain stay.

Where did you get the Hayes 51mm direct mount caliper?

mtbr member
    No mine had same size holes and cant remember bolt size I think I used some bolts I had lying around will check if I have more.Your right you might have more room for a 22mm a2z adapter a guy on bonustomato fitted one to a 17'' frame also I got my hayes caliper from craigslist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks Guy.

You don't need to bother looking around for bolts. I just need to go to my LBS or hardware store to find one that fits that larger socket. My frame is the same color as yours, but with some pretty bad chain suck scars. I'm considering repainting, but then I lose my decals, maybe I can find some. I had a '95 & a '98 Homegrown back in the day. They were incredible. Congrats on your homegrown project.

mtbr member
    Post some pics of your would love to see it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

schwinn homegrown pro

No photos yet to post. One more question (I hope), what width seatpost and clamp does this bike take. I got a great deal on an Easton EC70 in a 27.2mm, but it was too wide. I actually thought this was the size. I tried the 26.8mm off of my commuter bike and it seams to fit, but slides up and down a little too easily for me to be sure.

I'm thinking of having my frame painted before I build it. Do you know where I can get Homegrown decals?

How does your Homegrown ride?

mtbr member
    I think all homegrowns use a 26.8mm seatpost and thats what I use and as for decals I dont know were to get any been looking for some my self for the future. I took some photos of mine as was thinking of having some made but need to find a good place to have them done also my homegrown rides great and nice and light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

right...it is 26.8

there are great deals from time to time on ebay for 26.8s. The snug fit depends on the type of post and material sliding up and down shouldn't be a problem with the right clamp.

I bought some lrg schwinn word decals from ebay (uk). they were slightly raised but looked pretty good. I got them in white but there are different color options. You can pick up decals stating homegrown etc ($20?) on ebay, but I think there is something cool about just saying schwinn on the bottom tube...simplicity...the frame speaks for itself

they ride like a dream

mtbr member
    Just a update changed a few things on my Homegrown put on Sram X9 front and rear derailleur,carbon stem,handlebars and seatpost.I also changed to magnesium pedals gel seat and front fork to a RST First Platinum which rides way better then the rock shox 318 tora also 2.4'' tires.