the fat kid

1993 Hilltopper resurrection

This was my first real bike when i was like 13 or 14. After getting back into riding after a few years, some friends and I decided to dig it out and do some updating to get it back on the trail... and as a single speed no less!

my only before pic:

after:

A trip to the LBS got us a stem, wheelset, chain tensioner, singlespeed kit and sprockets. New brakes from a local guy and crankset and BB from my Gary Fisher HiFi. Lastly was some decal removal with a razor blade (b/c its kinda embarrassing riding a mongoose :P ). After all the work getting it done, its been a blast to get back on it! I never thought a old moly frame, full rigid and singlespeeded would be so much fun!
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was given the same kind of bike and looking to do the same set-up. Would you happen to know what kind of chain tensioner that is? I've been looking around at local bike shops in my area but have no luck in finding one for this bike. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

the fat kid
    it was seriously some no name thing that was in a pile of parts.... I couldnt tell you what the name is..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    no worries... i'm probably going to check out a bike swap this weekend and hope to find some good deal for my build. thanks though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The chain tensioner looks like a cheapy that nashbar.com sells. I got mine as part of a single speed conversion kit.

the fat kid
    it definitely was the cheapest ever... but, it worked fantastic and ONLY worked how i had to set it up as in the photo. SS should never be an expensive journey

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Project Hell'N

I was thinking of completing a very similar project about two months ago when I found your post. So glad I did as it motivated me to move forward with this project and past the "what am I thinking"!

My goals was to see how a near 20 year old bike would stack up to the modern day offerings as a resurrected 69er. Let me tell you, I was blown away at how fun and simple the riding was.

My original Hilltopper was stolen about 10 years ago in college so I went to craigslist and found a 1993 Hilltopper SX which matched mine perfectly.

Upgraded parts include:
    • Exotic Carbon Front Fork
    • Easton Handle Bars and Neck
    • Stan’s No Tube 29” Front Rim, DT Swiss Hub and Specialized Purgatory Tire.
    • Avid Juicy Elixir Hydraulic Front and Rear Brakes
    • Brake Therapy Disk Conversion Kit
    • Mavic 26” Rear Rim and Shimano XT Hub with Maxxis UST Lust Tires
    • Shimano Alivo Crank Arms
    • Off the shelf Single Speed Conversion Kit

Here are some images. I had to leave the stickers on as more people have asked me about this bike in a single day of riding than any other bike in the stable. I still have some things to clean up, but could not wait any more to get her on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 Hilltopper resurrection-2011-12-13_17-59-15_271.jpg  

1993 Hilltopper resurrection-2012-01-15_10-18-03_538.jpg  

1993 Hilltopper resurrection-2012-01-15_12-25-36_376.jpg  

1993 Hilltopper resurrection-2012-01-15_12-25-46_483.jpg  

1993 Hilltopper resurrection-2012-01-15_12-26-06_84.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And in case anyone cares about the name, here is the correspondence from my ridding buddy who picked the name:

Did she talk to you last night? Does she already have a name she wants to be called?

I've given this a lot of thought. There's a lot of ways you can play on Hilltopper and Mongoose... even the S_X. But I can't get "Helen" out of my head.

Hear me out...

1) it's a chicks name
    2) it's a name mainly out of use but at one time was popular
    3) when I think of a Helen I think of a capable, slightly older, woman - not too pretty, but not ugly either
    4) a Helen isn't going to break down and leave you when things get tough - as a Candy might
    5) a Helen just wants to be loved, and although not needy deserves a little respect
    6) if push came to shove a Helen would kick someone's ass
    7) a Helen would be blonde - and you already have a brunette (Cass). Let's face it, the Ironhorse is a dude.
    8) a Helen would like to go camping
    9) in fact, a Helen would follow you anywhere if you treat her right - even cross country when you win the lottery
    10) finally, some slight revision is possible here.... HELL'EN

oh one more plug - A Helen would look better in the dark and therefore would be an excellent night riding partner.

Like I said, I gave it a lot of thought and I think Hell'en is really your only option.

the fat kid
    wow, i really like that! whats the geometry report? Do you have an angle finder to get HA and STA?

mtbr member
    Both look good!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    This was my first real bike when i was like 13 or 14. After getting back into riding after a few years, some friends and I decided to dig it out and do some updating to get it back on the trail... and as a single speed no less!

A trip to the LBS got us a stem, wheelset, chain tensioner, singlespeed kit and sprockets. New brakes from a local guy and crankset and BB from my Gary Fisher HiFi. Lastly was some decal removal with a razor blade (b/c its kinda embarrassing riding a mongoose :P ). After all the work getting it done, its been a blast to get back on it! I never thought a old moly frame, full rigid and singlespeeded would be so much fun!
    does anyone know the BB size on this bike.

Thanks,

Singletrack Slayer
    Looking good! I'm about to build up an older KHS full rigid so I don't have to worry about locking up my teocali.